Can you be TOO FORGIVING?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1joseph

Dec 14, 2014
Did the soldiers ask Jesus to forgive them?

Luke 23

[SUP]32 [/SUP]Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. [SUP]33 [/SUP]When they came to the place called the Skull, they crucified him there, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left.
[SUP]34 [/SUP]Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”[SUP][c][/SUP]And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

And can you please quote the scripture that says that says anything like this

But if the other remains unrepentant we are not under obligation to declare "I forgive you".
Just as Christ we should also forgive in our heart (meaning, being sincere) and tell the Father, "I forgive them," which is "carry a heart of forgiveness" that Crossnote mentions below. This keeps the heart free of bitterness (unforgiveness.) But I would not say "I forgive you," to an unrepentant person unless I feel the Holy Spirit leading me to do so.

IMHO,
We are always to carry a heart of forgiveness that is ready to declare forgiveness WHEN the other asks for forgiveness. But if the other remains unrepentant we are not under obligation to declare "I forgive you".
Yes. We are under no obligation to declare, "I forgive you," to someone who has offended us and not asked for forgiveness, for we do not know how the Spirit may be working in the situation. We should always wait for His leading and, if lead, then act.

As children of the one true God, we are to keep our hearts cleansed so that God's Spirit can continue to utilize us for His glory. When wronged we should get to the place in our heart (quickly) where we sincerely forgive the offender. Once there, tell the Lord. Then you're good to go. For me, I say, "Father, I forgive them. Show them the way to You... (and I always add) and show me too." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2012
Just as Christ we should also forgive in our heart (meaning, being sincere) and tell the Father, "I forgive them," which is "carry a heart of forgiveness" that Crossnote mentions below. This keeps the heart free of bitterness (unforgiveness.) But I would not say "I forgive you," to an unrepentant person unless I feel the Holy Spirit leading me to do so.

Yes. We are under no obligation to declare, "I forgive you," to someone who has offended us and not asked for forgiveness, for we do not know how the Spirit may be working in the situation. We should always wait for His leading and, if lead, then act.

As children of the one true God, we are to keep our hearts cleansed so that God's Spirit can continue to utilize us for His glory. When wronged we should get to the place in our heart (quickly) where we sincerely forgive the offender. Once there, tell the Lord. Then you're good to go. For me, I say, "Father, I forgive them. Show them the way to You... (and I always add) and show me too." :rolleyes:

Can you please provide the passages in scripture that God tells US not to forgive someone TILL they are repentant?

S

Sirk

I think people get to the forgiveness part too quickly. By that I do not mean that we are to carry around unforgiveness in our hearts....I mean that "I'm sorry" doesn't necessarily equate to real repentance. In the following example....the repentance was for a self driven purpose.

My stepson had a tirade the other day toward me when I asked him to pick up his garbage off the floor. He called me several vulgar names and to f off. I calmly told him that if he wasn't willing to at least do the bare minimum around the house then I would no longer pay for him to use the internet and he would have to figure out a way to pay for his use of it himself.

His mom changed the password and he blamed me and called me more names. I told him to bring it up with his mom as she was the one who changed the password. Ten minutes later he came to me and said...."I'm sorry". I said that I had already forgiven him but that he had arrived at the words "I'm sorry"......too quickly for me and that I wasn't ready to discuss it yet, because the words he said to me were very hurtful and I was still processing thru them.

The point is that forgiveness is not letting somebody off the hook for the consequences of their actions. Trust is hard to earn and easily burned and it is an important lesson for people to learn that being a trustworthy and safe person is what Jesus requires of us.

A

atwhatcost

Can you please provide the passages in scripture that God tells US not to forgive someone TILL they are repentant?
Matt. 18:15 “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.

Dec 26, 2012
Matt. 18:15 “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.
Where do those verses say NOT TO FORGIVE? Those verses are about discipline.

M

masha

Its good to learn to forgive.yes we also know forgiving is not forgeting.pray so that the spirit of God can help you to learn to forgive if you too want God to forgive your sins.