Careers!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

Frizzy

I figure, with everyone around my age, they might be experiencing the same issue as I am... Anyone else stuck??? I am studying medicine, doing great, but experiencing complete disallusionment about what I want to do with my life!!!! ie do i really want to be a doctor and have no time for a husband or children later on? Or should i settle for a simpler average job in a lab and then have time for the things that really matter to me (starting a family, having a life, etc etc) Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about careers and life :)

L

lightbliss

You know, most people regret doing certain things in their life. But the biggest regret people have, is not doing things they wanted to try (as long as it's not wrong or sinful).

So, you'll regret not learning to skate more than streaking across your high school's sports field during a game.

There are pros and cons to every decision we make, so whatever you choose, make it's what you truly want. There may be a few detours along the way, but if you follow your ambitions, you'll live a more fulfilling life.

As always, keep God first. God Bless :)

S

sportygirl

Oh yeah career choices are not easy at all. For me, I have my career path and know I'm in the right major and degree for what God wants for me but I'm not sure what it is. I'm a journalims major film minor and love doing stuff with video and editing and would love to give these talents to God, but dont know how yet. Luckily I have two more years till I'm done with school :) Oh and also with this on some level I feel led to acting, it was a dream I had given up on years ago but took an act class, and my teacher thinks I have some talent (hes a professional actor been in a couple movies, i trust his opinion) but the idea of pursueing that scares me...I guess

Oh and medice in a great career and I give you credit for pursueing that I took one Bio class and was done!! Congrats on your pursuits, whatever you choose will be a great career, and just pray and God will lead the way.

R

Rissa77

I went through that confusion about 2 months ago. Had a meeting with my pastor. Told him I didn't know what to do.. continue the ministry program I'm in or go to college. It had always been the plan to go to college, but I had NO idea what I would go for, and I didn't want to be one of those undecisive students who end up wasting a bunch of money and time trying to figure it out. My pastor is very discerning. I can tell when he knows what God is doing and he won't tell me. So he told me to check into schools. I did. Got discouraged. Had another meeting. He asked if I had ever considered teaching. No. So I looked into it. Didn't think much of it. Then I kept getting these confirmations at every turn about becoming a teacher. So after so much of God drilling it into me, lol, I'm going in the fall for teaching.

This is what I've learned:
Stay where God called you until He moves you (when you don't hear it the first time, He'll kick you out in love. He's doing that to me now lol)
Pray for confirmations and they will come.. blatantly.
Praying and desiring HIS will and not yours will put you in the right place.
Pray. Pray more. and MORE. Not talking.. listening, being in communion.
When all else fails, and you still don't hear anything, WALK BY FAITH. He'll lead you like a dance partner: silently.

F

Frizzy

Sure your only 20 Rissa??? your one wise lass lol. I think im settling with the motif: the lights are green until they turn red. since last posting i have quit my university in a scary step of faith. I have just been contacted by a Christian university at which I will be able to continue my ambitions in medicine as well as be surrounded by an environment that will help me in my walk with Christ :D Only thing that I can say..... God is GOOD!!!!

R

Rissa77

Praise God, frizzy! I'm so glad! I pray the best for you.

Yes I'm only 20. Wisdom is from God alone. When I let the Holy Spirit speak instead of me, I sound really smart. lol If not, well, you know.

I

imTastik

I worried about this when I were 14 but now I'm going for what I want and LOVIN every minute of it....it's taking time but I know I'm gonna get there. Upcoming Dancer and West End Performer :D

L

lil-rush

I spent the first two years of college worrying about my career choice. I've wanted to be a lawyer since middle school, I believe, but when I started college I started worrying that maybe it was the wrong career choice. Toward the end of this past semester though, God finally assured me I am in the right major.

I don't know if I'll actually become a lawyer. God could tell me to do something else in the blink of an eye, but for now I know I am where God wants me, and I am at peace.

Sharp

May 5, 2009
Sure your only 20 Rissa??? your one wise lass lol. I think im settling with the motif: the lights are green until they turn red. since last posting i have quit my university in a scary step of faith. I have just been contacted by a Christian university at which I will be able to continue my ambitions in medicine as well as be surrounded by an environment that will help me in my walk with Christ :D Only thing that I can say..... God is GOOD!!!!
Which Christian university?

J

juanddperez

Well, my case, now is when I'm worrying about it.
When I started my career I didn't pay attention to the future, but right now I'm worried, I mean, I feel like I don't know what path to follow, I'm about to get my degree in Computer Science, and when I start working I think I will start studying Electronics Engineering at nights, and then a Master mixing my two careers, but that means I won't have time for nothing, and maybe I'm done with these studies at age of 28/29, then focused on my career as researcher in my field for example, but, then, I get the same question you have, being alone and consumed by my job? God fills all voids :) of course, but we do need companionship, as you say, wife and kids for example..
I don't know, I need to pray for God to reveal my correct choice..

L

Lyndies

What are the passions and gifts that God has given you? Go for those. And pray about it. I'll be going into my junior year of college in the fall and I've already changed my mind like four times.

I knew that what God really had for me was writing, but I completely disregarded that whole idea because it's not a very reliable thing. I was going to do psychology, then teaching, then teaching a different age group and finally I had a breakdown. I was like, "God, what will I do, then?!" And He gave me writing. Suddenly, this huge weight had shifted and my life looked so much better. I was actually HAPPY with the idea of writing for a living.

So--listen to Him and what He's given you. The things that are important to you are important for a reason.