Careful Consideration.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

richie_2uk

Have you ever been having a heated conversation with someone and impulsively said something mean? As soon as the words left your mouth, you knew the kind of negative impact they would have on the person. You then realised you had thrust a ‘sword’ that could never be retracted. Or have you ever done something (not necessarily sin), only to realise later that you acted hastily and your action could not be erased?

The Bible describes this type of behaviour as rashness—acting without careful consideration of the possible consequences or risks. Although things said and done rashly are not always sinful, they generally show a lack of wisdom (Proverbs 19:2), are linked with quickness to anger (Proverbs 14:29) and are open invitations to being shamed (Proverbs 25:8).

There are many biblical examples of this type of behaviour and its subsequent consequences in scripture. Jepthah acted with rashness when he made a vow to sacrifice the first person or animal he saw coming out of his house to meet him (Judges 11:31-29). Uzzah reached out and touched the ark of the covenant (2 Samuel 6:6-7)

Rashness seized Moses and caused him to strike the rock (Numbers20:10-12). It also motivated James and John to call down fire against the Samaritans (Luke 9:53-54) and it impelled Peter to cut off Malchus’s ear (Matthew 26:51-53).

So what would be the antidote for this type of rashness in our Christian life?

Mar 15, 2013
That is beautiful and of the important quality of things that are truly worth our taking time to consider over and over again, holding those thoughts close to us at all times.

I love your OP. It is pure wisdom.

R

richie_2uk

That is beautiful and of the important quality of things that are truly worth our taking time to consider over and over again, holding those thoughts close to us at all times.

I love your OP. It is pure wisdom.
well thank you Kardiaoangelous. I'm so glad that you are blessed. and I pray that you will be blessed all the more.

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
The antidote, is to think before you speak. However this is harder to do then to say.

Most people when they are angry, realize they are angry, this is when they need to remember to calm down, think before you speak. Again harder done than said.

^i^

R

richie_2uk

The antidote, is to think before you speak. However this is harder to do then to say.

Most people when they are angry, realize they are angry, this is when they need to remember to calm down, think before you speak. Again harder done than said.

^i^
Yes amen, Like you said it can be hard, yet its something we all need to learn from with the example of Jesus.

H

hattiebod

Have you ever been having a heated conversation with someone and impulsively said something mean? As soon as the words left your mouth, you knew the kind of negative impact they would have on the person. You then realised you had thrust a ‘sword’ that could never be retracted. Or have you ever done something (not necessarily sin), only to realise later that you acted hastily and your action could not be erased?

The Bible describes this type of behaviour as rashness—acting without careful consideration of the possible consequences or risks. Although things said and done rashly are not always sinful, they generally show a lack of wisdom (Proverbs 19:2), are linked with quickness to anger (Proverbs 14:29) and are open invitations to being shamed (Proverbs 25:8).

There are many biblical examples of this type of behaviour and its subsequent consequences in scripture. Jepthah acted with rashness when he made a vow to sacrifice the first person or animal he saw coming out of his house to meet him (Judges 11:31-29). Uzzah reached out and touched the ark of the covenant (2 Samuel 6:6-7)

Rashness seized Moses and caused him to strike the rock (Numbers20:10-12). It also motivated James and John to call down fire against the Samaritans (Luke 9:53-54) and it impelled Peter to cut off Malchus’s ear (Matthew 26:51-53).

So what would be the antidote for this type of rashness in our Christian life?

I am not sure if I have an answer...all I know is I want to and am given the assurance I can (through the Grace of Christ) to grow in grace and knowledge. 2 Peter 3:18. But grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and forever.
I fix my eyes on Jesus...and I 'train myself' to be Godly. 1 Tim 4:7-8. I can train, to run the race!! and i need to imitate Christ...1 John 2:6...then it will soak into me, become more habitual. Good & Godly habits...i do fail...but then I am convicted of it and i can give thanks I am forgiven!!
God Bless you, not at all sure if this was the right response....:) <><

Mar 15, 2013

^i^
A bit over a decade ago I was blessed to be able to study the right kind of psychology which showed respect for faith.

I was taught about our capacity to be self-aware (self awareness) and how to put that to a beneficial use rather than wasting it where it is needed or using it only selfishly.

We have no problem using our faculties for being self aware when it comes to feeling as though we have been cheated.

But we fail to see that we can use that same capacity to keep us aware of our emotions and to make a deliberate choice to insert a pause between the stimuli and our reaction to that stimuli. Thus by means of that deliberate choice to be aware of our emotions and the potential conduct they can cause, we are enabled to choose to take that pause to give ourselves time to think so that we become able to render a reasonable response rather than that common emotional reaction.

When we love God enough we want to learn to do that.

R

richie_2uk

Here are some antidotes for rashness: Acknowledgement and submit to the sovereign rule of God, trust his guiding presence and appreciate the importance of considered and well thought through speech and actions. When we're filled with the holy spirit and experience his fruit (Galations 5:22-23), our rash ways will go away. So, as the apostle James said, let's be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry (James:19).

R

richie_2uk

I am not sure if I have an answer...all I know is I want to and am given the assurance I can (through the Grace of Christ) to grow in grace and knowledge. 2 Peter 3:18. But grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and forever.
I fix my eyes on Jesus...and I 'train myself' to be Godly. 1 Tim 4:7-8. I can train, to run the race!! and i need to imitate Christ...1 John 2:6...then it will soak into me, become more habitual. Good & Godly habits...i do fail...but then I am convicted of it and i can give thanks I am forgiven!!
God Bless you, not at all sure if this was the right response....:) <><
God bless Hattiebod. the time you took to respond, even though you felt you couldn't answer it. that's not a real issue. but the fact you saw something that really relates to us Christians who want to get things right in Jesus name. So by your time and response was enough of an answer. So God bless. and let us all find this knowledge and seek the right and wrongs in our life we serve for Jesus. It's nice to have honesty in these threads and not people given there own thought and knowledge with out scripture to back up.