"Challenge" from a non-Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

bihzor

Something like this seems to happen to me once every year, usually in the Spring or Summer…
I have been in dialogue with a scientifically-minded young lady with leanings towards Eastern religions. Here is my most recent email from her, which ended in a “challenge,” and I’d love to know how some of you would respond to this:
“Your religion isn't the only one out there, it isn't the most interesting of the ones that are, and you seem oddly incapable of wrapping your head around the fact that even if I did know all the specifics of the Bible, I still wouldn't consider it to be my moral compass. Even if Jesus was really the son of God, I wouldn't see him as anything more than some freakish half-human hybrid who happened to be a nice guy.
Even if Jesus really did rise from the dead -- which is doubtful, given that very few credible scientists of this day, try though they might for science's sake, have found any evidence of the existence of the supernatural -- it wouldn't be a grounds for me to feel sympathetic towards Christianity. My fundamental philosophy hinges on the idea that no aspect of reality is innately divine, so even if an all-powerful creator God did exist, and could have a human son (like seriously, what is God's DNA like? Because Jesus couldn't have gotten his Y chromosome from his mother, and besides, all humans have two copies of their genome, with each of the two alleles from each of the two parents, so God must have some kind of human-compatible DNA, in which case, OH MY SUBJECT OF THIS SENTENCE, GOD HAS DNA), it wouldn't mean that I'd worship said God, or believe that I ought to do anything other than politely acknowledge his existence.
Trying to force your faith in abstract ideas into a mold that can fit reality is never going to work, which is why I honestly don't think that reading the details of your evidence is going to change anything for me. The abstract ideas are the important ones, not the specific myths. I'll pretend for a moment that Jesus really did rise from the dead. What does that matter, in the end? What use is there in believing that to be true? It doesn't help me find order in the world, or find peace of heart, or understand life's mysteries. It's a simple story, a narrative no more inundated with significance than the fact that the earth goes round the sun, or that gravity pulls objects of mass together. It happened; it happens. This is reality, where things happen. It doesn't make me particularly enlightened to believe these tales verbatim et literatim. If they were true, then I can do no more than simply know that. One doesn't BELIEVE in simple facts. There's no point in believing something that you know is true.
Real belief lies in the abstraction. If Jesus really did rise from the dead and you could offer proof of that, then you would have, in effect, DISPROVEN the existence of the divine and supernatural, because it means that divinity IS natural, that resurrection IS possible, and so God is not God at all, but a thing governed by reality. But the reason why we cling to old tales is because they come from a far older, more literal time, where people didn't have answers for any of the inner workings of the universe and had to make do with stories.
The abstract ideas of morality and goodness and so on exist outside of the confines of your mythology, or anyone else's. And they are worth believing in. But the rest of it is just packaging. God and Jesus are the superfluous styrofoam and bubble wrap for such fragile, delicate ideas as humans can find. They're fun to play with and pop but if you keep your morals in the wrapping all the time, of course they won't break, but you'll never be able to use them.
But though it must in the end be discarded, the packaging is still important, because without it you'll never be able to sent these beautifully gift-wrapped abstract ideals by parcel post to anyone else.
Here's a challenge for you: WITHOUT MENTIONING anything specific, up to and including God, Jesus, Heaven, Hell, devils, angels, Trinities, saints, sinners, Apostles, Commandments, Adam, Eve, or ANYTHING like that, tell me what at its core Christianity means to you, and why it, above all else, shows you how to be a good person. Give it to me in its abstract form. Because if it can't function without the trappings of mythology, I couldn't even begin to consider it worth my time.”

Sep 4, 2012
until she becomes convicted of her own sinfulness, she will be not be able to understand

Nov 19, 2012
Something like this seems to happen to me once every year, usually in the Spring or Summer…
I have been in dialogue with a scientifically-minded young lady with leanings towards Eastern religions. Here is my most recent email from her, which ended in a “challenge,” and I’d love to know how some of you would respond to this:
“Your religion isn't the only one out there, it isn't the most interesting of the ones that are, and you seem oddly incapable of wrapping your head around the fact that even if I did know all the specifics of the Bible, I still wouldn't consider it to be my moral compass. Even if Jesus was really the son of God, I wouldn't see him as anything more than some freakish half-human hybrid who happened to be a nice guy.
Even if Jesus really did rise from the dead -- which is doubtful, given that very few credible scientists of this day, try though they might for science's sake, have found any evidence of the existence of the supernatural -- it wouldn't be a grounds for me to feel sympathetic towards Christianity. My fundamental philosophy hinges on the idea that no aspect of reality is innately divine, so even if an all-powerful creator God did exist, and could have a human son (like seriously, what is God's DNA like? Because Jesus couldn't have gotten his Y chromosome from his mother, and besides, all humans have two copies of their genome, with each of the two alleles from each of the two parents, so God must have some kind of human-compatible DNA, in which case, OH MY SUBJECT OF THIS SENTENCE, GOD HAS DNA), it wouldn't mean that I'd worship said God, or believe that I ought to do anything other than politely acknowledge his existence.
Trying to force your faith in abstract ideas into a mold that can fit reality is never going to work, which is why I honestly don't think that reading the details of your evidence is going to change anything for me. The abstract ideas are the important ones, not the specific myths. I'll pretend for a moment that Jesus really did rise from the dead. What does that matter, in the end? What use is there in believing that to be true? It doesn't help me find order in the world, or find peace of heart, or understand life's mysteries. It's a simple story, a narrative no more inundated with significance than the fact that the earth goes round the sun, or that gravity pulls objects of mass together. It happened; it happens. This is reality, where things happen. It doesn't make me particularly enlightened to believe these tales verbatim et literatim. If they were true, then I can do no more than simply know that. One doesn't BELIEVE in simple facts. There's no point in believing something that you know is true.
Real belief lies in the abstraction. If Jesus really did rise from the dead and you could offer proof of that, then you would have, in effect, DISPROVEN the existence of the divine and supernatural, because it means that divinity IS natural, that resurrection IS possible, and so God is not God at all, but a thing governed by reality. But the reason why we cling to old tales is because they come from a far older, more literal time, where people didn't have answers for any of the inner workings of the universe and had to make do with stories.
The abstract ideas of morality and goodness and so on exist outside of the confines of your mythology, or anyone else's. And they are worth believing in. But the rest of it is just packaging. God and Jesus are the superfluous styrofoam and bubble wrap for such fragile, delicate ideas as humans can find. They're fun to play with and pop but if you keep your morals in the wrapping all the time, of course they won't break, but you'll never be able to use them.
But though it must in the end be discarded, the packaging is still important, because without it you'll never be able to sent these beautifully gift-wrapped abstract ideals by parcel post to anyone else.
Here's a challenge for you: WITHOUT MENTIONING anything specific, up to and including God, Jesus, Heaven, Hell, devils, angels, Trinities, saints, sinners, Apostles, Commandments, Adam, Eve, or ANYTHING like that, tell me what at its core Christianity means to you, and why it, above all else, shows you how to be a good person. Give it to me in its abstract form. Because if it can't function without the trappings of mythology, I couldn't even begin to consider it worth my time.”
Explain to her that Christianity is NOT about being a 'good person'...rather it is about a personal relationship with the Creator of the Universe.

Sounds like she is a liberal....'I'm OK'....'You're OK'....'It doesn't really matter what you believe as long as you are a good person'....garbage...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Very clear that she know all the core issues of Christianity but she flatly rejects them. Can science function without observation? Can science establish anything without repeatable evidence? How can you describe science without the vocabulary of science?
I must ask at the end of life, is this all there is? Is there not more? If we can ask this question about space why can we not ask it about the endlessness of eternity and our existence?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Here's a challenge for you: WITHOUT MENTIONING anything specific, up to and including God, Jesus, Heaven, Hell, devils, angels, Trinities, saints, sinners, Apostles, Commandments, Adam, Eve, or ANYTHING like that, tell me what at its core Christianity means to you, and why it, above all else, shows you how to be a good person. Give it to me in its abstract form. Because if it can't function without the trappings of mythology, I couldn't even begin to consider it worth my time.”[/QUOTE

Complete and utter inanity. Pearls to swine come to mind here. I hate to even indulge such a fruitless challenge, but ask her to describe a hamburger without mentioning meat, beef, cows, cooking, buns, eating, cheese, or food.

In all seriousness, pray for her that the Lord will soften her heart.

Bless you. In Jesus name. Amen

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
O thats an easy one love describes. The core of christian values an she didnt say not to mention it.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
You may have to deal her with on a scientific level. There are many things mentioned in other religions and religious books that clearly contradict nature and honest science (which means you'd have to do some research). The Bible does not contradict laws of nature, but in fact supports it. Romans 1:20 says that God's attributes are clearly seen by the things that are made (creation) and that no man/woman is without excuse. Once she realizes that nature couldn't have come about by random purposeless processes and that a designer is behind it all, then you can show her other reasons why the Bible is the inspired Word of God by prophecy, archeology and history.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
She's pretty wordy for one who is tending towards the Eastern Religions. Can she truly survive the East? :)

Feb 7, 2013
Peace be with you, please don't be surprised to that attitude of blindness.
In the Gospel, JESUS prayed to GOD like this; "Thank you FATHER, you hid this from the wise and prudent (of this world) and show it to ordinary people (who will come into the Kingdom)."
People have come to GOD not in their own desire but; "By grace and through faith which is the gift of GOD." (to continue/abide/keep the MESSIAH's Teachings)
So we cannot use force and harshness to feed them to believe.
Yet you can tell her, 'If she believe in everything that she confess is to be true, then continue in practicing in all of them.
Even if she fail to comply one, among everything which she is confessing to be true.
She will be accountable to that one true GOD.
Even if you cannot do this, then stand down and stay away from her so that least you get tempted.
Pray for her, for GOD's mercy and pray for your temptation and protection.
Give Glory only to GOD in the name of LORD JESUS CHRIST and not to man (even man of GOD).
As it is written; "Servants don't need special thanks. They are only to answer that they are merely an unworthy servant just doing their duty."

Last edited:
S

Saved_Forever

Sounds like a true Muslim to me. She will die and figure out the truth which is Christianity!

Nov 19, 2012
Sounds like a true Muslim to me. She will die and figure out the truth which is Christianity!
I believe that she would have shown more respect towards Jesus if she were a Muslim...which leads me to believe that she is a non-theist...

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
I believe that she would have shown more respect towards Jesus if she were a Muslim...which leads me to believe that she is a non-theist...
Correct, a Muslim would not show such disrespect to even a minor prophet, which Jesus is one. Also a Muslim would not say the following either

God is not God at all, but a thing governed by reality

Feb 7, 2013
Peace be with you, your MASTER and mine prayed for the unbelievers, even to ones in the influence of the words of men, who persecuted HIM then;
"FATHER FORGIVE THEM, FOR THEY KNEW NOT KNOW WHAT THEY DO."
JESUS says to all of us today; "Whoever here have not sinned, may cast the first stone at her."
Do we ourselves respect the Word of the LORD of the New Covenant and practice them faithfully?
As it is written; "Do not (commandment) test the LORD thy GOD."
'Grace have forgiven a multitude of sins of ours. Show grace onto others.'
We are not trouble makers but a vessel of peace, also to back off and be silence.
The LORD have spoken to HIS lambs and sheeps, called to only listen to HIS voice, as justified by the Holy Scripture of the Holy Bible, inspired by the HOLY SPIRIT, who live in all of us.

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
Let the dead bury their dead.

^i^

S

Shiloah

We really are just supposed to share the gospel and our personal witness. I really never saw anywhere in scriptures where it says we're supposed to keep going at someone from all angles trying to make them accept the gospel. It's not like I don't care, but there's a limit. Either they're going to accept or their not. They've got to at least want to find truth. You can't beat that into them if they don't have it. Obviously, you can continue praying for them. But again, there does come a point where you actually are throwing pearls before the swine. Sorry.

S

Share55

I lean more towards fredjames advice. Pray and ask God for His intervention. A found lost soul is worth more than all the gold in this world and thensome. When you come up against a brick wall remember who your God is.

DiscipleDave

Sep 4, 2012
We really are just supposed to share the gospel and our personal witness. I really never saw anywhere in scriptures where it says we're supposed to keep going at someone from all angles trying to make them accept the gospel. It's not like I don't care, but there's a limit. Either they're going to accept or their not. They've got to at least want to find truth. You can't beat that into them if they don't have it. Obviously, you can continue praying for them. But again, there does come a point where you actually are throwing pearls before the swine. Sorry.
Amen, this is True. It is our responsibility to inform them of the Truth, but if they refuse to hear it, then we are to move on, like brushing the sand off our feet.

^i^

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

She seems to be an ungrateful ravenous dog about God so do not give holy God food to dogs whom devour it ungratefully and unappreciated then pray and cry from your soul for His mercy for her soul. If some one can not or will not be touched with His personal omnipotent Agape then prayer is the only remedy.

Mar 4, 2013
Tell her this and then let it rest. There is nothing you can do except pray. You can't prove "hope."
John 3:11-12 (KJV)
[SUP]11 [/SUP]Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

Job 17:15 (KJV)
[SUP]15 [/SUP]And where is now my hope? as for my hope, who shall see it?

Romans 8:24-25 (KJV)
[SUP]24 [/SUP]For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
[SUP]25 [/SUP]But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.