Chat issue

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

soccermom19

Although I have been on CC using the forums for quite a while, I have never tried the Chat room.
When I tried it just now, a new blank window opened up. I tried different settings, all with the same results. I tried both high speed (I have DSL) and dial up. I selected no web cam and not hearing what people say.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I am using an IPad if that makes a difference.
Thank you.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
The IPad is what you are doing wrong. The chat rooms run on Adobe Flash which Apple mobile devices do not support.

From prior threads on this topic other users have suggested the Photon Browser for I devices, but it is not a free app.

N

NorrinRadd

Go to Puffin Browser, that works on my iPhone. It doesn't make sense that the majority of people have iPhones around the globe yet we still use flash but oh well. Puffin is free by the way and you can go to the Apple App store to get it

S

Siberian_Khatru

Go to Puffin Browser, that works on my iPhone. It doesn't make sense that the majority of people have iPhones around the globe yet we still use flash but oh well. Puffin is free by the way and you can go to the Apple App store to get it
Just a side note:
"Puffin Free is the free version of the Puffin family and supports Adobe Flash over cloud during "off-peak hours" from 6AM to 6PM (subject to change without prior notice)."

There's a lot of scuttlebutt about HTML5. Perhaps CC's chat applet will either transition to HTML5 in the near-ish future, or Flash Player will cease to be, and perhaps then mobile devices will be able to get into the chat rooms here. :)

S

soccermom19

Thank you.
Is there a plan to make chat available to ipad and iPhone users in the future?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Actually... Android has about an 80% market share.
: )

So it's pretty reasonable for CC Chat to be Flash based.

However, it might be a good idea for CC to make a big fat link to something like Puffin, to accommodate the iPhone users.

S

soccermom19

Actually... Android has about an 80% market share.
: )

So it's pretty reasonable for CC Chat to be Flash based.

However, it might be a good idea for CC to make a big fat link to something like Puffin, to accommodate the iPhone users.
I have Puffin, but flash is only available from 6am-6pm. I am very busy during those hours, working to support my family. No time to chat. Who knows if I would actually chat much anyway. I have never used a chat room before. I may decide to purchase an app that allows flash at a later time. I just hate to purchase something when I don't know if I will even like using the chat room.
It is okay that chat doesn't support Apple products, I was just curious if there was a future plan for chat to allow their use. I realize that this is a free site and I am grateful for its existence. I am not about to demand or even insist that the creators change it to accommodate me.
Thank you all for your help.

S

Siberian_Khatru

It is okay that chat doesn't support Apple products, I was just curious if there was a future plan for chat to allow their use.
Oh no, it's not that. The chat rooms here run off of Adobe Flash Player. Adobe no longer develops Flash Player for mobile devices, such as Apple iPhones, iPads, and Android phones and tablets. You can still access the site with an iPhone or iPad, just not the chat rooms specifically.

Photon Browser is an alternative to Puffin, but I've never used it, so try it at your own risk (not that it will hurt anything, it simply may or may not work).