Children, Paradise and Destruction

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Yes, this is one of those "Do babies go to paradise when they die?" threads. Just a heads up.

For quite a while I believed that when innocent children died they were never to be resurrected again - nor were they to go to spiritual destruction but simply die the death of an animal. I realize that sounds harsh, but as created beings we have done nothing to earn our lives and are therefore not deserving of them. Life is a gift - even to children.

Now I'm rethinking my position. I found some interesting verses online that made me think.

Jeremiah 19:4-5 said:
Because they have forsaken Me and have made this an alien place and have burned sacrifices in it to other gods, that neither they nor their forefathers nor the kings of Judah had ever known, and because they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent and have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal, a thing which I never commanded or spoke of, nor did it ever enter My mind;
In this passage the sons (i.e. children) are called innocent. This still doesn't mean they deserve to go to Paradise, so let's look at some other verses.

Deuteronomy 1:39 said:
Moreover, your little ones who you said would become a prey, and your sons, who this day have no knowledge of good or evil, shall enter there, and I will give it to them and they shall possess it.
The little children have no knowledge of good and evil, being in a state similar to that of pre-corrupted Adam and Eve. What's more, these children who have no knowledge of good and evil are going to enter the Promised Land - a typological symbol of Paradise. I think we're getting closer.

Ezekiel 16:20-21 said:
Moreover, you took your sons and daughters whom you had borne to Me and sacrificed them to idols to be devoured. Were your harlotries so small a matter? You slaughtered My children and offered them up to idols by causing them to pass through the fire.
God calls these innocent ones, with no knowledge of good and evil, his children. Though it could be argued everything is his but doesn't necessarily inherit that which those who follow him do, I could also argue the opposite. So this is a moot point.

Matthew 19:13-14 said:
Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
So what is this saying? The kingdom of heaven belongs to individuals of this nature (i.e. innocent, not knowing good or evil). And if such individuals receive the kingdom of heaven not because they deserve it but by the grace of God for granting it merely to the inculpable, then it appears that children are promised a place in Paradise after death. Because the Bible declares that they are of this nature.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Another:

Matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

To me this says that conversion renders us guiltless just as little children. The Jews likewise have a tradition of accountability. But it extends quite a ways into late childhood. In the end it's up to God to decide at which age they become aware of their sins, of good and evil and become culpable human beings.

Last edited:
B

BeanieD

I think this verse may be talking about faith. Little children totaly trust their parents and believe the will catch them when they fall or protect them from harm. Just as our God catches us when we fall, and protects us when we have faith in Him. It is truely amazing the faith of the children. :)

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
I think this verse may be talking about faith. Little children totaly trust their parents and believe the will catch them when they fall or protect them from harm. Just as our God catches us when we fall, and protects us when we have faith in Him. It is truely amazing the faith of the children. :)
I also used to think that, but questioned that particular interpretation about eight years ago. I don't think the passage has to do with faith specifically. I just think Jesus was referring to several qualities of children. One could be their trusting nature and hence faith like theirs. Another would be innocence. Perhaps forgiveness. They're also a symbol of youth and new life - an accurate symbol for being born again and becoming a child of God.

There is one thing about my previous post I'd like to point out though. That's the statement, "for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these". So the kingdom of heaven belongs to those who have this innocence, faith, forgiveness, etc. I used this to imply that children belong to the group that has these qualities and therefore are guaranteed Paradise. However, that's not necessarily true. Jesus could have been saying that the kingdom of heaven belonged to individuals with the qualities of children but not necessarily that the children would go to Paradise. Yet I don't think that God would arbitrarily pick and choose between members of a certain group with identical qualities. If both are innocent, and if very young children are as Adam and Eve were in the earthly Paradise, then it makes sense that both deceased believers and children will enter Paradise. This is a tricky topic. There is one last point.

Matthew 18:6 If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

These children believe in Jesus, so faith is a factor here. However, in Matthew 19:13-14 Jesus had already left his previous location in Matthew 18 and moved to another part of the country. These are new children. And he still relates them to the kind of individuals found in the kingdom of heaven. Perhaps they believe, perhaps they don't. But we know that they likely do not know good or evil and are innocent - similar to Adam and Eve's pre-fallen state in Paradise. If Man had remained innocent and not sinned would he have needed to hear the Gospel, have had his sins atoned for, etc.? Again, a very tricky topic. I believe that God's angels are in Paradise, and the Gospel was never meant for them.