Children with disabilities

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

B

BuyMeAChicken

The absolute best book I've read on autism is "The Fabric of Autism: Weaving the Thread" by Judith Bluestone.

The autism spectrum ranges all the way from severely autistic, to mere sensory processing disorder, to high-functioning aspergers. Its difficult to give advice not knowing where your friend's child falls on the spectrum.

The most important thing to understand is that it is a neurological disorder. While ABA and BAA therapies may help with symptoms, they will not help the cause.

Even if the child doesn't SEEM responsive, you MUST assume the highest level of understanding. Most of the time, they are far smarter than other children their age. Lack of physical affection is common and very difficult for parents to deal with, it would be helpful to encourage her to remember that her child has a very special love language that doesn't include physical touch. Pick and choose battles... if they like to flap their arms or spin in circles and they do so in a way that isn't hurting anyone, let them. They will not get better if they feel that they are not accepted just as they are.

Lastly, EVERY child with autism has the ability to grow up and be fully verbal, fully functional, and fully independent with the right patience and attention. Children with autism are a wonderful gift from God. Best of luck!

G

GreenNnice

I have a friend who has a child with autism. I was gathering information and resources that might help.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience with working with children with disabilities that would help?

found these websites so far but haven't had a chance to read everything on them...

Advice on autism and teens from an adult on the autism spectrum | Autism Support Network

Texas Statewide Leadership for Autism Training Home Page

Hi, anariel, my teaching lady friend :)

"Rainman" movie with Dustin Hoffman, it is about autism.

I believe Asperberger's Syndrome is also an off-shoot of autism and a tv show about it, is 'Bones,' where the lady detective, Bones, has AS :)