Choosing Godparents

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Michael86

My Wife & I chose a couple with 4 young boys and an older daughter already in jr high. We originally thought we was having a boys I we thought it a perfect connection, pastor friends whom we love dearly very very close friends.
We later found out its actually a girl. I now don't really like idea of my daughter going to hang out with her god brothers and no girls there (yes I have a very old soul I guess) so I'm having a problem with being comfortable with this lol no my wife and I can't seem to make a solid decision we've talked about a couple times now so I thought I'd seek help as you can see yes it is kind of a big deal to me because this is my daughter and children get to a certain age where they want to explore the opposite sex and ummm yea.......so help me out with your thoughts.

Perhaps I'm thinking too deep into it however my Wife and I both feel the same.

Aug 27, 2005
The way I see it is that as long as you and your wife stay healthy and are there to raise your children.. the Godparents are just there to help with the guiding of your children in their relationship with God. So I would think that you would pick Godparents with the same morals and beliefs as you. That being said.. even if your daughter was hanging out with their children.. they wouldn't leave the children unsupervised and would instill morals and standards in their children as well and it shouldn't be a problem.

L

lcerveny

What faith are you? Are you a follower of Christ or a Catholic, ect... My faith does not pick godparents??

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
hm, at that age it might be good for her to have "cousins" as protectors :)
and there is a girl in that familie.

If the familie has the same values as you, then the boys will be more helpfull than harmfull.
Godparents here are more special aunt and uncles, so when you like the familie and
would want to include them into your familie life as aunt/uncle then do it.

M

Mammachickadee

I always understood the purpose of Godparents to be those who would raise the child should anything happen to the parents. Naturally they would have a very close connection with the child and would spend extensive time with him/her. Your concerns are warranted.

M

Mammachickadee

What faith are you? Are you a follower of Christ or a Catholic, ect... My faith does not pick godparents??
It's a personal preferance based on ones idea of a godparent's use.