Church Association

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 24, 2012
Would you be a part of a church, more specifically, be a part of the ministry in your church (a church that does many great things btw) that works with Joel Olsteen's Ministries in subtle ways (offering closing prayers, stuff like that) when He travels to your city?

Would you consider it a big deal? Should there even be an issue?

Nov 25, 2014
Would you be a part of a church, more specifically, be a part of the ministry in your church (a church that does many great things btw) that works with Joel Olsteen's Ministries in subtle ways (offering closing prayers, stuff like that) when He travels to your city?

Ultimately, we all must live up to our consciences regarding these issues.

However, I think one thing to consider might be this. If you are deeply connected to this church, you have a means of serving and are served by God's people, if being in this group pushes you to know God more deeply and be more like Jesus, and if being in this group encourages you to increase spiritual disciplines (prayer, bible study, care for the poor, etc.) and decrease sin, then is it worth it to cut yourself off from such a connection based on a small or rare event?

The answer might be "YES, this is such a bother to my conscience, that despite the loss, it is worth it for me to separate from this body". For others, the "much good" might outweigh this "slightly dicey."

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
May I ask the purpose of this question?

K

kaylagrl

I dont agree with his teachings...does that answer the question?

Feb 7, 2015

Idk...... But on just the basis of this one post, I would probably "unfriend" you...... if I had ever "friended" you in the first place.

K

kaylagrl

Idk...... But on just the basis of this one post, I would probably "unfriend" you...... if I had ever "friended" you in the first place.
HUh? What did I miss?!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I would strongly advise my pastor against it, and I would also talk to each elder about the wisdom of the decision, to say nothing of giving them links to what he has said and preached.

But come to think of it, my church would never get involved with anything to do with Osteen's ministry, or any other televangelists so I am off the hook!

Sep 4, 2012

What does your church get out of being associated with him? That might be a place to start.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

I wouldn't join immediately, but red lights would begin going on.
Tell tale sign of a deeper issue.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Personally, I probably wouldn't. It would indicate to me that the leadership of the church had poor discernment.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
offering closing prayers
how about if you pray that everyone's eyes be opened about the deception of the "prosperity gospel" and not to led astray by traveling wolves who have "special guest prayers" at the end of their services?

i mean, you won't have any mental conflict to deal with if they ask that you don't come back for the second night, right?

;)

honestly though, if anyone asks me to pray for them, they can find me doing so in a closet, not on a stage in front of a microphone.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
how about if you pray that everyone's eyes be opened about the deception of the "prosperity gospel" and not to led astray by traveling wolves who have "special guest prayers" at the end of their services?

i mean, you won't have any mental conflict to deal with if they ask that you don't come back for the second night, right?

;)

honestly though, if anyone asks me to pray for them, they can find me doing so in a closet, not on a stage in front of a microphone.
That doesn't have any thing to do with a skeleton in the closet does it?

images.jpg

A

Abing

I'm part of a church and a ministry that sortof works with Joel Osteen. It's not a big deal to me, personally. As long as the people we're reaching out to turn to Jesus and not to Joel Osteen or Joseph Prince or the prosperity teaching.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
[h=1]Hebrews
12[/h]
1 .) Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 .) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Fix your eyes on Jesus, and the rest of this will be of no matter............ :)

Jan 24, 2012
Why?

and the basis of the question is about just that. My wife and I are very involved in our church and its ministries. My church seems to be having these small associations with Joel Olsteen's ministries every time he comes to town but my church doesn't seem teach the falsehoods that he teaches. I don't know why there's any association and my church is too big for me to even get answers from the top (it's a multi-campus church)

Sep 4, 2012
Why?

and the basis of the question is about just that. My wife and I are very involved in our church and its ministries. My church seems to be having these small associations with Joel Olsteen's ministries every time he comes to town but my church doesn't seem teach the falsehoods that he teaches. I don't know why there's any association and my church is too big for me to even get answers from the top (it's a multi-campus church)
I bet Joel subcontracts support roles to local churches. That way he doesn't have to travel with a large retinue. I bet it all boils down to money.

Jan 24, 2012
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on things! Thank you!!!!