Church Preference?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Smudge

I guess it would be more aptly called, "Worship Preference." But I wanted to broaden the subject a little.

I was remembering a conversation with a friend of mine after she visited my church for the first time. I was asking her how she liked it and it wasn't to her exact liking. Besides drinking actual wine during communion(she used to think drinking alcohol was a sin, not because of her denominational beliefs- more because her family has a history of drunks)--- she didn't like how many worship songs my church had.

It was like she had a specific time limit of how long she could sit in church and she didn't like that my church ended service by playing one more song. After the Pastor ends his sermon she wants to leave.

For me its the opposite. I love the sermon and do not want to lessen it- but it would not feel right unless we played one last song and then the Pastor gives his blessing. Actually I would be the happiest person ever if I could convince my church to throw a worship/prayer service every week as well as your regular service.

So I'm curious~ What do you guys prefer? Long service or short? More songs- less songs? And when you finish service- do you stick around and fellowship/Bible Study/Sunday School or do you head out ASAP?

(I sound like an eye doctor... sheesh. One... or two? Three... or four?)

J

Jordache

My church is my second home. I arrive at 7am most Sundays to rehearse until 9 as I am on the worship team. I do worship for first service and the team wads to Starbucks down the street I discuss the set and any changes needed. At 10:45 we do set two for second service and after the 4-5 song set I sit down for the message. The service ends at about 12:20. I think it's good to shake things up a bit sometimes, but i like a 30 minute message. I also like extended worship sometimes.

S

simplyme_bekah

Independent Baptist for me.

U

Ugly

Personally i don't like a lot of worship, beginning or end. I think most churches i've been to do more i prefer. I go to church for fellowship and a sermon. I'd rather practice worship in a more private setting.
I'm also not a fan of these huge worship teams. Seems most church worship groups are a bunch of Hillsong wanna-be's . Stick a guy with an acoustic and a voice on stage and i'm happy. I don't need to be entertained or rock out at church. I can do that all i want at home.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I prefer a more laid-back, perhaps subdued environment. When it comes to the worship, I've spent years in churches where the singers will frequently extend the song by re-singing the chorus or some of the part of the song. That's alright when done a little bit but when you're doubling the song's length because you're "In the Spirit," that's a bit much. And also, when they suddenly get real soft and slow and quiet, that bugs me. I'm not one who likes to keep singing when everything's all quiet. Call it self-conscienceness, I suppose. If you want to sing like 5 or 6 songs, that's cool. But I'm used to the songs all being done in one block, not divided into two parts.

But what I consider the meat of a service is the sermon. When it comes to sermons I don't mind a long, well-developed one. I don't particularly enjoy sermons where there's not really an outline or plot that could be followed. PowerPoints are a plus for me. :D