Closing a Thread at a Certain Number of Posts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Lauren

Sorry if this has already been suggested.

I've seen other sites close a thread when it reaches a certain number of posts - 250 or 350 posts. Helps keep the threads from getting so large that no one will read all the way through them. I've not been on CC for several months, and I was surprised when I came back this week and I see threads from when I was last here....lol.

Of course, if that's not a process that can be automated, it would be yet another task for moderators.

Just a thought :)

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
Greetings Lauren!

I definitely think that there are some threads in ChristianChat that are too long. However, I figure that if the threads will lock after a certain number of posts, we'll just have girl / boy posting competitions to see whose thread closes fastest. Isn't there already enough competition between the sexes?

Yep, now you realize that you hadn't thought of all the variables :D

Quest

L

Lauren

I definitely think that there are some threads in ChristianChat that are too long. However, I figure that if the threads will lock after a certain number of posts, we'll just have girl / boy posting competitions to see whose thread closes fastest. Isn't there already enough competition between the sexes?

Yep, now you realize that you hadn't thought of all the variables :D
LOL, I guess I hadn't. I had no idea that some make it a contest. :p

1still_waters

We've tried something like this, and then the people gripe because the thread got closed and then they create a new thread with the same topic, then people complain because there is more than one thread with the same topic and they then suggest we just keep the one big thread open.

R

Ralph

We've tried something like this, and then the people gripe because the thread got closed and then they create a new thread with the same topic, then people complain because there is more than one thread with the same topic and they then suggest we just keep the one big thread open.

Does it really stop people from posting threads with the same topics?

1still_waters

Does it really stop people from posting threads with the same topics?
It doesn't stop people from posting threads with the same post, if you close a post. It actually encourages folks to post the same topic because they have more to say on it..

K

KingdomHeart

Manic people write threads.......and then there are those who read them. I think this maddness should continue! How else would we know what the world was thinking?