College Ups and Downs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jaymie

I currently am sophomore in college and I have found that being on my own, 1200 miles away from home, has been one of the greatest opportunities of my life. I play collegiate basketball and have been given a platform to shine the light of Jesus Christ to my teammates and to the campus. I am a leader in FCA and I am involved in other faith organizations on campus. However, occasionally it can be discouraging when you are actively pursuing God and the people around you are not. I catch myself becoming stagnant and I was wondering how other college students (past or present) on CC dealt with this?

Blessings!

B

Be_Evergreen

Hi Jaymie! Haven't seen you around here yet, but I see you are new? Welcome to CC :).

I can see how it would be discouraging when those around you are not pursuing their spiritual life as vigorously!

I always wonder what other people are thinking. They mill about in their busy lives, stopping rarely to smell the roses on the side of the road. Beautiful are thoss roses, but we do not always see that when we're so focused on our own lives!

Take for example one of the greatest violinists in the world. He played one of the most complicated pieces in the world in a busy subway, dressed in street clothes. No one stopped to look at him as he played, no one recognized him but little children- isn't it funny how children are so hyper-aware, that they know beauty when they hear it? The musician's name is Joshua Bell: here is a video of what went on.

Joshua Bell "Stop and Hear the Music" by the Washington Post - YouTube

So those around you are not active in the Christian fellowship on your campus. Think from their point of view- what will bring them in? How can you appeal to them? In this world we are taught to be attracted to flashy shows, to loud declarations. But our lives are busy enough- we don't need that! Perhaps everyone would like to slow down a bit, unwind and be listened to- and perhaps you can appeal to that!

If your goal is not to bring them in and instead it is to keep from becoming stagnant, this world is a challenge to our faith. Personally, I have heard disrespectful words towards other people, towards religion in general, all over my college campus. I have seen the inactivity, and it is sobering! They should be reveling in the Glory of God! I am an introvert, while you seem to be an extrovert? That or maybe you are very dedicated to people regardless of introverted tendencies, and if this is true I applaud you :D.

Perhaps you need an addition faith community in your life. Are there any churches or youth groups near your college? This could help keep your faith strong, in a world where disbelief is all too common.

Otherwise, I'm afraid we shall always be surrounded by those who test our faith! I understand the frustration of it, and God knows how you feel!

Romans 8:35-37
Who will separate us from Christ's love? Affliction? Or distress? Or persecution? Or famine? Or destitution? Or sword? Just as it is written. On Your account we are being killed all day long; we are considered sheep for slaughter. But in all this we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.

Matthew 10:16
Mind you, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves; therefore be as subtle as serpents and as guileless as doves.

It is also hard not to harden out hearts to others that do not share in our Love as well.
John 3:17
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world but in order that the world might be saved through Him.

When you catch yourself in a discouraged mood, try picking up your Bible, and go to where it feels right. I just ended up in Psalms, for example, and found a very enlightening prayer that I could pray in Psalm 51. Or, just pray. Explore why you are feeling that way, and have God help lead you in the right direction.

Peace!

J

Jaymie

Be_Evergreen,

I am an extroverted person in many situations. God has blessed me with a heart for people, but sometimes it can be overwhelming. I have prayed for God to give me an opportunity to reach others and He has delivered. Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don't forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ."

Part of the reason I joined CC is because it helps to read about experiences of my brothers and sisters in Christ. I find strength from the joys and the trials that are posted. Where I lack the understanding, I am encouraged by what God is doing through others. Thank you for the verses and the video. Sometimes stepping back may be the best answer.

Blessings!