Commandments on Tab?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

ritelec

In reading Exodus 19 and 20, where or does it say that the commandments were carved in stone tablets?

Were they??
Or were they and the other laws in 20 told to Moses and he just remembered them?

Thank you.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Ex 31:18
18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Deut 4:13
13 And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

Here are a couple of passages you might consider.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
A couple more...

2 Corinthians 3:3, 7 (KJV)
3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
The commandments needed to written on stone because they were kept in the Ark of the Covenant in the temple. A tangible memory. They could not yet be written on hearts until the risen Christ sent the Holy Spirit to indwell us.

R

ritelec

Ok thank you.

So in 19 and 20 there where no physical tablets or laws. He was talking them. Correct?

Sep 4, 2012
Ok thank you.

So in 19 and 20 there where no physical tablets or laws. He was talking them. Correct?
GOD spoke the 10 commandments directly to the people. They didn't want to hear GOD directly, so GOD told Moses the law, who wrote it in a 'book'. The 'book' of the law was used to make the blood covenant where the people agreed to keep the law. Then GOD wrote the 10 commandments on stone while Moses was on Mt Sinai for 40 days.

Last edited:
R

ritelec

Ok stone came later. Can you direct me to where it says " book"
Or is it assumed that he would have written it in a book.

Not sure but it looks like he repeated after God.

Not a biggey just wondering. But thank you fir clearing up the stone

Will continue reading

Also. All the laws. Like someone gets killed. Live stock falls in a hole. Widow fatherless child.

Was that from God? Or was that Moses in his wisdom?

Thank you

Sep 4, 2012
Ok stone came later. Can you direct me to where it says " book"
Or is it assumed that he would have written it in a book.

Not sure but it looks like he repeated after God.

Not a biggey just wondering. But thank you fir clearing up the stone

Will continue reading

Also. All the laws. Like someone gets killed. Live stock falls in a hole. Widow fatherless child.

Was that from God? Or was that Moses in his wisdom?

Thank you
And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel. Exodus 24:4

And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient. And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled [it] on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words. Exodus 24:7-8

R

ritelec

So I'm guessing 24 refers to the book from 19- 20 though 19-20 makes no mention of a book

Thank you

L

Laodicea

So I'm guessing 24 refers to the book from 19- 20 though 19-20 makes no mention of a book

Thank you
Exodus chapters 21 - 23 contain laws that would be the book of the law. Chapters 21 - 23 are based on the ten commandments in Exodus 20.

R

ritelec

Exodus chapters 21 - 23 contain laws that would be the book of the law. Chapters 21 - 23 are based on the ten commandments in Exodus 20.
21-23 Yes. Thank you for that correction.

A

AboundingGrace

The commandments needed to written on stone because they were kept in the Ark of the Covenant in the temple. A tangible memory. They could not yet be written on hearts until the risen Christ sent the Holy Spirit to indwell us.
With all due respect, this scripture would disagree with you.. Ps.40:8 I delight to do your will, O my God: yes, your law is within my heart.

A

AboundingGrace

In reading Exodus 19 and 20, where or does it say that the commandments were carved in stone tablets?

Were they??
Or were they and the other laws in 20 told to Moses and he just remembered them?

Thank you.
As I see the events.. The chapters 19-31 are all one incident of Moses up on mount Sinai. Some verses are parenthetically written in a shifting narrative of while he's in the mountain and when he later went down to speak to the people. Chapter 31:18 is the giving of the tablets of stone written by the finger of God. He has not yet gone down from the mountain at this point.

Chapter 32 shifts to the parenthetical event of the golden calf incident.. then shifts back to Moses still on mount Sinai. At 32:15 is when Moses actually went down from the mountain with the tablets of stone.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
Ritelec - I think you would benefit by reading the bible.