Communicating. Texing vs Calling.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

Ugly

I'm going to catch flak for this, but for most things I think texting is fine. I think the younger generation use/understand texting more so than people who didn't grow up with it. I've had many a good conversation via texting, most longer than any phone call i've ever made. I see nothing wrong with having long text conversations, and I also see nothing wrong with long phone conversations, or face to face for that matter. I'm tri-communication friendly, with a bias toward texting. lol
In general conversation yes, i am fine with texting, for the most part. But the question seems to be aimed more at a romantic interest and the best way to get to know them and communicate your interest in them. Would you be ok with mostly texting to get to know a romantic interest? Or to express to them/them express to you, a romantic interest?

Loveneverfails

Feb 18, 2013
My now boyfriend initially expressed his interest to me by texting. Not gonna lie, it was actually very cute and sweet, but I'm a bit more old fashioned so I made it clear that I appreciated it (and probably not-so-subtly hinted that the feeling was mutual) but I also lightheartedly stated that this was probably something that should be discussed in person. He also asked me on our first real date via text, to which I responded something like "I would love to respond to your offer, kind sir, if you would do me the honor of calling me instead ;)"

two seconds later I got a reply: "whoops! My bad :p" and the phone rang the next second.

It's my personal preference that particularly important discussions, or certain romantic gestures not be made over text. That's not to say its wrong in all situations.

M

MissCris

Before I mutilated my cell phone, I hated texting at all, thanks to PPL TLKNG LIKE THIS N ASKNG WHERE R U N THEN I responded like a normal, intelligent human being, and the only reply I'd get was K or "i c u l8r".

But then, I rarely ever answered calls, so people kinda had to text me if they needed to relay information.

Me and my husband communicate very, very poorly through ANY other means than face-to-face. It would be funny if it wasn't so...not funny.

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
I personally hate talkin on the phone so if textin or calling where thr only choices id text

J

Jullianna

I hate phones. Period.

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
Before I mutilated my cell phone, I hated texting at all, thanks to PPL TLKNG LIKE THIS N ASKNG WHERE R U N THEN I responded like a normal, intelligent human being, and the only reply I'd get was K or "i c u l8r".
I hate text speak with a passion. I text with correct spelling and grammar.

It kills me when I see it on Facebook and other places, too.

The only instances where it is okay is for memes. For instance, I love "stahp" and "wat". :D

I

isaria

Agree, many have difficulties talking on the phone or even on camera chat and the words "just dont come easy".
No flow comes and maybe they are shy or everything they DO say comes out wrong.

That is why it is wonderful to cam chat on internet so one can choose to write instead.

You still see each others faces buuuut if you can not speak you simply write instead.
It is so nice to see each other , know what the other party looks like, facial expressions and so forth.

I was chatting with a man for 3 years almost daily.
He is the only person i really chatted with.

We used to camera chat and when no words came we would write instead.
We used to have breakfast together almost every morning or y morning his night (different time zones).
He used to get to watch me eat mango and drink coffee and he used to get to see my face first thing in morning lol.
I would wake up turn on laptop (in bed) chat with him then leave laptop 5 minutes while making coffee and return to drink coffee with him.

Loosing that when we stopped chatting was very difficult.
After that computer like a empty.
Was spirit, love, more flow and niceness when chated with him.
Now just empty, often hacked , had viruses, no feel communication or connection with anyone, no love,.......etc

I prefer cam chat.

More so than phone or mobile texting.
It can be nice send text message on mobile saying "goodnight" sleep gorgeously".

I mizz having someone chat with. :(
some one nice.
someone right......ya know...
When account , computer hacked it like chat with enemies pretend be nice and feel a bad vibe.
Handed in old computer and they removed virus.
Still no energy, communion, spirit and no one chat with to, as such.

Pray that changes.

Best wishes with your communications.

Telenetworking... hmm hmm

I

isaria

I got to watch him eat lollies :)
He was always eating lollies (sweet tooth)
We did not always talk.
Sometimes he played music for me liste to.

If you chatting with someone and cant think what to say then maybe play music for them or show them pictures....
theres always a way :)
usually ):

presidente

May 29, 2013
I asked my brother if he could receive texts. He said why in the world would anyone text when they can just talk on the phone. I live several time zones away, so it made sense to me for short messages. It also makes sense if you want to tell someone something when you can't get a hold of them, or when you don't want a long conversation. But why sit around clicking your thumbs if there is a better alternative. It's annoying and cumbersome. I don't mind using a full-sized keyboard.

Go for phone calls rather than text. Joking through texts can be misinterpreted easily, and it's easy for people just to misunderstand things. I hate it when people start throwing out a bunch of letters and expect me to know what they stand for. I know LOL. But I've had to look up stuff like TMI. IDWTHTLUSOTIJJTUYT. I don't want to have to look up stuff on the Internet just to understand your text. I'm a little older, I'm married. But I find the text thing annoying. Younger folks may have more patience for it and may be used to it. But the closer communication is to real life, the better. You miss facial expressions and gestures on the phone, but at least you get tone of voice. Text isn't a rich enough means of communication.

Dec 9, 2011
Texting can give a person time to respond to the other
person in a more personal,sensitive way but it can influence
a person to be immature when it comes to an eye to eye
encounter.

I guess it would be good for practice in conversation or good for
light hearted conversations.I don't see anything wrong with light hearted conversations though.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
In general, I think some people just take longer to put things into words. It goes back to the whole "If everyone were a mouth, where would the sense of hearing be?" thing. I can totally appreciate it if someone takes the time to find the right words, rather than saying something just to fill a silence. It's easier to do that through email or even letters. But I have no problem with any form of communication, really. I let the other person choose how we communicate most of the time.

Specifically speaking of people who are interested in me, I'd rather they told me about their interest through some non-instant form of communication such as an email. It's easier then to think and pray about how to let them down easy.

Feb 10, 2008
In general, I think some people just take longer to put things into words. It goes back to the whole "If everyone were a mouth, where would the sense of hearing be?" thing. I can totally appreciate it if someone takes the time to find the right words, rather than saying something just to fill a silence. It's easier to do that through email or even letters. But I have no problem with any form of communication, really. I let the other person choose how we communicate most of the time.

Specifically speaking of people who are interested in me, I'd rather they told me about their interest through some non-instant form of communication such as an email. It's easier then to think and pray about how to let them down easy.
You don't always have to, ya know.... :)