Condemned by Heb 12:16-17 ? Here's help.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Hebrews 12:16-17 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

Often young christians misread this passage to mean that Esau had gone so far that even though he sought repentance he was rejected having become so profane.

The proper understanding is that because he was profane he was rejected from receiving the birthright (even though he sought the birthright with tears) but failed to come to the place of repentance. In otherwords he craved the goodies (birthright) but not God (repentance).

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
I want to add a passage also from Hebrews, I think it helps me to apply this understanding and fuel to avoid doing the same in my life.

Hebrews 10:26-30, "For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Those who rejected the Law given through Mosheh died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished, who has trampled the Son of Yahweh underfoot, and has counted the blood of the covenant (with which He was sanctified) an unholy thing, and who has insulted the Spirit of mercy? For we know Him Who has said: Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, says Yahweh. And again: Yahweh will judge His people."

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I want to add a passage also from Hebrews, I think it helps me to apply this understanding and fuel to avoid doing the same in my life.

Hebrews 10:26-30, "For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Those who rejected the Law given through Mosheh died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished, who has trampled the Son of Yahweh underfoot, and has counted the blood of the covenant (with which He was sanctified) an unholy thing, and who has insulted the Spirit of mercy? For we know Him Who has said: Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, says Yahweh. And again: Yahweh will judge His people."
Yes, and I believe the willful sin of verse 26 is the wilfull rejection of the Messiah verse 29 after receiving the knowledge of the truth concerning Yeshua.

Last edited:

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Yes, and I believe the willful sin of verse 26 is the wilfull rejection of the Messiah verse 29 after receiving the knowledge of the truth concerning Yeshua.
I always looked at it like the knowledge of the truth was Messiah. You know, He is the way, the truth, and the light! So all in context here would be or would have been people that accepted the Messiah. I do think it possible to be as you say, because it is a bit subjective, not as clear cut as some verses.

And viewed the trampling underfoot was using Messiah's blood as a doormat for excuse to sin and counted the blood of the covenant (with which He was sanctified) an unholy thing would be turning from Messiah; by counting the blood as not holy, special, a blessing, holding fast, etc

Eiter way it would be "rejecting the birthright" kind of thing.

Jul 25, 2013
Hebrews 12:16-17 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

Often young christians misread this passage to mean that Esau had gone so far that even though he sought repentance he was rejected having become so profane.

The proper understanding is that because he was profane he was rejected from receiving the birthright (even though he sought the birthright with tears) but failed to come to the place of repentance. In otherwords he craved the goodies (birthright) but not God (repentance).
Your last sentence don't quite sit right with what I understand.
Fornicating: Esau slept with sin.
He profaned: He made lite of God's blessing.
When he realized his sins, it was too late, no going back (no place for repentance) He couldn't undo his actions even though he begged God through tears.

I agree with the first part of your last sentence but not the: but not God (repentance). part.
He did crave the goodies and he also craved repentance. But like all fornicators and profaners, they too will not inherit the birthright, (the sonship with Father). Because once you die, there is no more repentance, no going back to life and doing it God's way.

If you take off the last word in parenthesis ...repentance, then I'm one hundred percent with you on this one, but adding it changes the meaning of the verse. To me anyway. Let me know what you think.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Your last sentence don't quite sit right with what I understand.
Fornicating: Esau slept with sin.
He profaned: He made lite of God's blessing.
When he realized his sins, it was too late, no going back (no place for repentance) He couldn't undo his actions even though he begged God through tears.

I agree with the first part of your last sentence but not the: but not God (repentance). part.
He did crave the goodies and he also craved repentance. But like all fornicators and profaners, they too will not inherit the birthright, (the sonship with Father). Because once you die, there is no more repentance, no going back to life and doing it God's way.

If you take off the last word in parenthesis ...repentance, then I'm one hundred percent with you on this one, but adding it changes the meaning of the verse. To me anyway. Let me know what you think.
Where does it say he 'craved repentance'? Where did he go to God asking for repentance?