Confusion about justification and sanctification

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It would appear from reading the threads about the Law (the Ten Commandments) and its application to Christians, that quite a few are confused about what the Bible says in this regard, and quite a few are simply Antinomians.

In a nutshell justification is by grace through faith, but sanctification is by the application of the Law of Christ to our lives. The problem which many Christians have is seeing that the Law of Christ is the Ten Commandments (generally called “the Law”) distilled into the Law of Love. So focusing strictly on what is revealed in the book of Romans here is what we find:

1. The Law renders the world guilty before God
Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. (Rom 3:19)

2. None can be justified by the works of the Law
Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. (Rom 3:20)

3. Justification is purely by God’s grace through faith
But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (Rom 3:21-24)

4. Sanctification means reckoning ourselves dead to sin and alive to God
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord
. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof... For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid (Rom 6:11,12,14,15)

5. Sanctification is “obedience unto righteousness”
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. (Rom 6:16-18)

6. The Law is holy, just, good, and spiritual
Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good... For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. (Rom 7:12,14)

7. But the Law can only be applied by the power of the Holy Spirit
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (Rom 8:1-4)

Please note the last verse. The righteousness of the Law must be fulfilled in every Christian as he or she walks in the Spirit. So God has not set aside the Ten Commandments at all. Rather He has said that the Holy Spirit will apply those commandments to us, and through us, as we mortify the flesh and walk in the Spirit. This is called “sanctification”.

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
Allowing the Holy Spirit to transform us by the renewing of our minds to get the proper meaning of the Bible we read is what will change us from glory to glory. Following the 10 commandments is not what we as believers are to be doing in order to be established in righteousness (Jesus did that for us already) . We already had the benefit of the law and it pointed us to Jesus. Now we put aside the old schoolmaster and allow the Holy Spirit to teach us all truth. We no longer need the law to show us.

Religion is deeply seeded in people here. We who have come out of our own religious teaching and later accepted the truth about Jesus and His salvation by grace through faith can attest to that truth.

Boldly stepping out of that man made religious system and instead leaning on and daring to allow the Holy Spirit to show us the truth is vitally needed here. Grace and law cannot be mixed. Mixture of the truth of grace and law rinses away the power of His resurrection to a faded religion and so it is the lukewarmness the Bible talks about. Hot or cold... chose one or the other. But both? GACK! It gets "spewed"

If you chose the law., you will at least eventually come to the end of yourself and be so utterly defeated at how you cannot (despite for all your trying) do the law. Catholics especially (like I was) see this and live in condemnation daily for they have a zeal but is not according to the truth. Many born again Christians also have a zeal but not according to the truth because they are seeking to mix law and grace and their lives are weak and beggarly. Many do not live lives of victory nor do they see miracles in their everyday life. They are hanging on by a thread physically and mentally and spiritually.

We walk our Christian lives out EXACTLY the way we first accepted Jesus as our personal Savior... by grace through faith. When we begin to walk in the grace of God that Jesus died to give us., we see His life lived out in us just as Galatians 2:20 says.
[SUP]
20 [/SUP]I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Notice the adherence and reliance is not to the LAW but to the faith that their righteousness is IN CHRIST who loved us and gave Himself for us. Many Christians live by their strict reliance and adherence to the law and how well they can follow it trying to establish their own righteousness.., they say they are sorry when they fail and go back and try again to be righteous., fail again., go say they are sorry so as to re establish themselves (they believe) in righteousness again and try again to stay righteous... this goes on all their lives. (I can personally attest to this)

They live lives of major ups and major downs. Never finding that settled place where Jesus is at all times because it is He who has given us that settled place of righteousness.., not us who work for it.

Unless we see the truth that we are/have been made righteous as the gift Jesus gave us at the time we got saved.... A roller coaster life of failure to BE and STAY righteous is how we end up living out our Christian lives here on earth.,weak., double minded., confused., fearful., never knowing what to expect and never having security or the peace that passes all human reason. And that is not what living the Christian life is about in Christ. That is not the victory Jesus paid to give us.

Sep 6, 2017
When Jesus spoke about the two greatest commandments, how is the teaching applied?

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012

7. But the Law can only be applied by the power of the Holy Spirit
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (Rom 8:1-4)

Please note the last verse. The righteousness of the Law must be fulfilled in every Christian as he or she walks in the Spirit. So God has not set aside the Ten Commandments at all. Rather He has said that the Holy Spirit will apply those commandments to us, and through us, as we mortify the flesh and walk in the Spirit. This is called “sanctification”.
How does the Holy Spirit apply keeping the sabbath day commandment to us? By Him being in us.

That is why Jesus said His disciples were guiltless for profaning the sabbath day because He was with them at that time.

Jesus had given to examples in the O.T. on how the saints had actually profaned the sabath day but were blameless because they were in the Temple.

Then Jesus said One greater than the Temple was here; mainly inferring Himself for why His disciples were blameless. Matthew 12:1-7

Jesus Christ is in us. 2 Corinthians 13:5

Our bodies are the Temple of the Holy Spirit now. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Hence, by that sanctification of the Spirit is how we are blameless for profaning the sabbath day.

So, yes, God has not set aside the ten commandments at all, but has fulfilled the law in us by being in us so that we are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day because it is Jesus Christ that justifies us and that is why He is Lord of the sabbath, and not the sabbath day lord over Him.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Religion is deeply seeded in people here.
This remark shows that (1) you do not take the time to study the Scriptures, (2) you make false and wild accusations, and (3) you simply regurgitate what your false teachers have taught you.

Sanctification is NOT religion, and the Ten Commandments are immutable, and are embedded within the Law of Christ. So you might be wise to sit down with the Bible and ask the Lord to reveal some fundamental truths to you (which have been discarded by your false teachers).

Dec 12, 2013
There is no confusion and the bible teaches the following concerning both words....

MAN justified before God by faith alone through GRACE
The faith that JUSTIFIES men before GOD is seen by men based upon our works

Sanctification has dual usage as well.

The faith that justifies before GOD also SANCTIFIES us positionally in Christ eternally (see HEBREWS)

The process of sanctification in our daily lives is based upon maturity and growth, subject to study and application of the word, has successes and failures and may take a lifetime of said growth and maturity.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The process of sanctification in our daily lives is based upon maturity and growth, subject to study and application of the word, has successes and failures and may take a lifetime of said growth and maturity.
Yes, we are talking about the process of sanctification. "And subject to study and application of the Word" translates into the application of the Law of Christ (the Law of Love). And the application of that Law is essentially the application of the Ten Commandments as confirmed by Paul in Romans 13:8-10:

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

The confusion arises when the Antinomians claim that just because no one can be justified by the works of the Law, God has nullified the Ten Commandments, and they have no application in the believer's life. But they have NOT been nullified at all, since in the New Covenant they have been written in the hearts and minds of the regenerated (Hebrew 8:10):

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When Jesus spoke about the two greatest commandments, how is the teaching applied?
See Romans 13:8-10 and other Scriptures in the first epistle of John.

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
This remark shows that (1) you do not take the time to study the Scriptures, (2) you make false and wild accusations, and (3) you simply regurgitate what your false teachers have taught you.

Sanctification is NOT religion, and the Ten Commandments are immutable, and are embedded within the Law of Christ. So you might be wise to sit down with the Bible and ask the Lord to reveal some fundamental truths to you (which have been discarded by your false teachers).

Now now Nehemiah., you need to post my complete post not just here's and there's as you often do to make your point. Context is key. Read and post what people really say in it's context so you can't use your own interpretations against others. So here it is...

Allowing the Holy Spirit to transform us by the renewing of our minds to get the proper meaning of the Bible we read is what will change us from glory to glory. Following the 10 commandments is not what we as believers are to be doing in order to be established in righteousness (Jesus did that for us already) . We already had the benefit of the law and it pointed us to Jesus. Now we put aside the old schoolmaster and allow the Holy Spirit to teach us all truth. We no longer need the law to show us.

Religion is deeply seeded in people here. We who have come out of our own religious teaching and later accepted the truth about Jesus and His salvation by grace through faith can attest to that truth.

Boldly stepping out of that man made religious system and instead leaning on and daring to allow the Holy Spirit to show us the truth is vitally needed here. Grace and law cannot be mixed. Mixture of the truth of grace and law rinses away the power of His resurrection to a faded religion and so it is the lukewarmness the Bible talks about. Hot or cold... chose one or the other. But both? GACK! It gets "spewed"

If you chose the law., you will at least eventually come to the end of yourself and be so utterly defeated at how you cannot (despite for all your trying) do the law. Catholics especially (like I was) see this and live in condemnation daily for they have a zeal but is not according to the truth. Many born again Christians also have a zeal but not according to the truth because they are seeking to mix law and grace and their lives are weak and beggarly. Many do not live lives of victory nor do they see miracles in their everyday life. They are hanging on by a thread physically and mentally and spiritually.

We walk our Christian lives out EXACTLY the way we first accepted Jesus as our personal Savior... by grace through faith. When we begin to walk in the grace of God that Jesus died to give us., we see His life lived out in us just as Galatians 2:20 says.
[SUP]
20 [/SUP]I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Notice the adherence and reliance is not to the LAW but to the faith that their righteousness is IN CHRIST who loved us and gave Himself for us. Many Christians live by their strict reliance and adherence to the law and how well they can follow it trying to establish their own righteousness.., they say they are sorry when they fail and go back and try again to be righteous., fail again., go say they are sorry so as to re establish themselves (they believe) in righteousness again and try again to stay righteous... this goes on all their lives. (I can personally attest to this)

They live lives of major ups and major downs. Never finding that settled place where Jesus is at all times because it is He who has given us that settled place of righteousness.., not us who work for it.

Unless we see the truth that we are/have been made righteous as the gift Jesus gave us at the time we got saved.... A roller coaster life of failure to BE and STAY righteous is how we end up living out our Christian lives here on earth.,weak., double minded., confused., fearful., never knowing what to expect and never having security or the peace that passes all human reason. And that is not what living the Christian life is about in Christ. That is not the victory Jesus paid to give us.

Last edited: