Conservative government in Australia dismantling freedom

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ella85

May 9, 2014
I don't get why Australia of all countries has to get all flamed up about Islamic terrorists, when the terrorists' focus is more on Israel and America (the little Satan and the big Satan, as they have been called). Creating all this unnecessary pandemonium about terrorist attacks and security is only resulting in drawing the attention of the terrorists to Australia. India has seen quite a few terrorist attacks and I've personally witnessed religious attacks and brutal riots. Yet, I haven't seen a government or a Minister freak out as such. I do like Australia as a country. It's beautiful; and does consist of beautiful people. =) However, I do think that this whole "security" hoo-ha is quite over-the-top.

(Just an opinion from an outsider who has quite a few Australian friends.)
Well maybe because we have had several muslims that have gone to fight in ISIS and there have been many terror threats made in our country.

It's not a bad thing that we are taking a stand to fight against and stop these people.....so.....

Last edited:
R

Roamer

Well maybe because we have had several muslims that have gone to fight in ISIS and there have been many terror threats made in our country.

It's not a bad thing that we are taking a stand to fight against and stop these people.....so.....
It is a bad thing, however, that we're 'fighting terrorism' by taking away more of our own freedoms, whipping up fear against innocent Australian Muslim communities, by not having a clear mandate as to how exactly we will 'defeat' IS, not acknowledging that our intervention in Iraq since 2003 until now actually contributes to recruiting more terrorists, and spending billions and billions more on what is a lesser threat to Australians than say, things like domestic violence and Indigenous rights.

I would also qualify the term 'many terror threats'. When fear is on people's minds, they look the other way at the government's serious failures regarding other important issues. The Liberals know this, and they've been milking the terrorist threat for all its worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks Jim - I understand automatic weapons make up only a relatively small percentage of overall gun-related deaths (but when they do it's something catastrophic, like a mass shooting). But really? 2 known homicides since 1934 from legally owned automatic weapons? I would love to know where you got that number from. Other sources (here, here and here) say otherwise. Also - does Aurora or Newtown ring a bell?

In any case, given Australia's complete ban on all automatic assault/semi-automatic/pump-action handguns, 1 for every 1,000 is high in my books. More generally, it seems hard to deny that there's some kind of gun problem over there. 89 guns (whether automatic/semi-automatic/shotgun/etc.) for every 100 residents is insane. The fact that in many states you can still buy a firearm without any background check is unfathomable to me.

Aurora, Newtown and basically every domestic mass shooting in the history of the United States was perpetuated with semi automatic weapons, revolvers, shotguns or bolt-action rifles.

It is hard to deny that the US has a problem with shootings, I wouldn't say it doesn't. But for some reason, Australians have the idea that machine guns/submachine guns are prevalent in shootings in the United States, and it's not the case.

(Incidentally, I should have said 2 murders since 1934, there were a handful of accidents and other incidents.)

It's interesting that this myth is so common in Australia, where Rupert Murdoch runs much of the media. But from what I can tell, Murdoch is a Liberal, so maybe he's showing what he wants to show.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2011
It's interesting that this myth is so common in Australia, where Rupert Murdoch runs much of the media. But from what I can tell, Murdoch is a Liberal, so maybe he's showing what he wants to show.
Murdoch is an evil scumbag, who runs the media in Australia, UK & has a large presence in the USA.

His Fox News is notorious around the world for being lying propagandists.

I don't understand why more American Christians don't speak out against Fox News and Rupert Murdoch.

S

ServantStrike

In any case, given Australia's complete ban on all automatic assault/semi-automatic/pump-action handguns, 1 for every 1,000 is high in my books. More generally, it seems hard to deny that there's some kind of gun problem over there. 89 guns (whether automatic/semi-automatic/shotgun/etc.) for every 100 residents is insane. The fact that in many states you can still buy a firearm without any background check is unfathomable to me.
Whoever told you that you can buy a gun in the US without a background check is yanking your chain.

You can't go buy a gun from a licensed ffl without going through an NCIC check. There may or may not be a waiting period depending on the state, but the FBI has to give the go ahead on the sale. And, like most background checks, it's not perfect, as it can only indicate past criminal behavior, not future behavior. Still it's an FBI background check.

But it seems this information does not make for sensational reporting, so it doesn't get reported?

Mar 21, 2011
100 cops today needed to arrest one kid who paid for a flight for some US citizen to go to Syria.

Imagine if you needed 100 soldiers for every enemy combatant? You'd start questioning how good your army is.

It's just another big SHOW used by a fascist government to use fear on the public.

If people want to know why their crimes aren't being followed up, it's because 100 police are being used to peacefully arrest one guy.

Mar 21, 2011
UGH, the US FBI were involved in raid today.

I just don't understand why you are interested in US politics David! Mind your own business!
I just don't understand why you are interested in US politics David! Mind your own business!

etc etc etc

Mar 21, 2011
Australians, please be aware that the media is making things up. Especially the media owned by Rupert Murdoch.

"Media Watch" dated 29th September 2014. Media Watch (ABC TV)

Ken Lay (Police Chief) dismissed claims Haider may have intended to behead the police officers.
“There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that I’m aware of that would suggest that was the intention,” he said.
Terror suspect "beheading" speculation rejected

Last edited: