Considering Joining the Priesthood - Requesting Prayers

• Thread starter Katherine-Episcopal
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Katherine-Episcopal

I am newly confirmed into my local Episcopal church, after having attended for over a year. My rector recently approached me with the idea of possibly joining the priesthood, suggesting that my skill set would be a good match for the needs of the position. He inquired if I had ever thought of the idea and suggested that I simply see where God might lead. I grew up as a baptist in both Southern Baptist and Missionary Baptist churches. Although baptist churches do not ordain or condone female ministers, I have had two such preachers tell me that, if I had been born male, I would have made an excellent preacher. As a young Baptist woman, that was quite confusing to me. I am seeking any guidance on this matter that I can find before continuing to bother my rector. He is an excellent counselor and spiritual guide, but I would like to gather my own thoughts as well as I can before taking more of his time.

I love the idea of helping people spiritually. I know that this would not be a one way journey. Through helping others in their walk with Christ, I too would grow. I love the idea of being a part of something larger than myself, of donning the outfit and role of priest and laying aside my personal self. However, a large part of me feels unworthy to even consider the position, as I am far from perfect. I would love to talk about it and read more on the subject.

Thank you for your time,

Katherine

K

kenthomas27

I believe no one understand their unworthiness more than a Sister or Brother in Christ devoted to serving Him. I know you are not perfect but have no idea as to the width and breadth of that imperfection like you do, much less that known by our God of Israel. Born of that imperfection is your journey with Christ which leads you to this life-changing decision - are you called to serve God as Priest to His people?

From your brief description, I can see you understand the gravity of that question. Is your feeling of unworthiness due to a full knowledge of your own sin-nature or is it due to your gender? Both are significant questions but require different answers, the answers of which will ultimately lead you on different journeys.

I'll pray for you! I admire your willingness to be this tool and to set aside your own self. That's courage in my book. I just want you to be prepared, I guess, for those worldly things that will come. Things you will have to defend against. Battles you will fight against your own brothers in Christ.

K

Katherine-Episcopal

Thank you for your reply! I believe that my concerns stem from my simul nature as a human and not from any gender stereotypes or issues. Male and female He made them, and male and female we ordained them.