Contemporary Christian Music Test - By Dial The Truth Ministries

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
[TABLE="class: cms_table, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=+3]
Introduction

[/SIZE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]We would like to make something very clear. This "test" is for serious Christians who love the Lord Jesus Christ. It is NOT for the typical CCM Christian. It is NOT for the Christian, who despite clear Bible verses contrary, despite CCM "lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation(Deut 32:15)"— despite ANY and ALL evidence to the contrary — they are going to "fill their hearts and mind" with "rock 'n' roll". If you fit that description — EXIT NOW. This "test" will simply waste your time and bandwidth.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=+3]The Bible is very clear:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]
1. A Christian should be SEPARATE from the world.[/SIZE]

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye SEPARATE, saith the Lord, and touch not the UNCLEAN thing;. . ." 2 Cor 6:17

"Love not the WORLD, neither the things that are in the WORLD. If any man love the WORLD, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15

[SIZE=+2]
2. A Christian should be DIFFERENT from the world:[/SIZE]

"Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no DIFFERENCE between the holy and profane, neither have they showed DIFFERENCE between the unclean and the clean,. . . and I am profaned among them." Ezekial 22:26

"If the WORLD hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the WORLD, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the WORLD hateth you." John 15:18-19

"Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a PECULIAR people, zealous of good works. Titus 2:14

[SIZE=+2]
3. A Christian should have NO FELLOWSHIP with the works of DARKNESS:
[/SIZE]

"And have NO FELLOWSHIP with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret." (Ephesians 5:11-12)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]A Christian should be SEPARATE and DIFFERENT from the world. A Christian should have NO FELLOWSHIP with the works of DARKNESS: If there ever was a picture of the word — it's certainly ROCK MUSIC! Even the "rock stars" know it:
David Bowie:

"Rock has always been THE DEVIL'S MUSIC. . ." (Rolling Stone, Feb. 12, 1976)

Little Richard

"I'm the Rock 'n Roll singer that you heard about through the years. . . I was directed and commanded by another power. The power of DARKNESS. . . The power of the DEVIL. SATAN." (Charles White, The Life and Times of Little Richard, pp. 205-206)

Elvis Presley

"God gave me a voice, If I turned against God I'd be ruined." (Gary Herman, Rock 'n Roll Babylon, p.16)

John Lennon

"I've sold my soul to the DEVIL." (Ray Coleman, Lennon, p.256)

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=+2]Let's put Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) to a simple "test".
[/SIZE]

Is Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) DIFFERENT and SEPARATE from the world?

Does Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) have FELLOWSHIP with the WORKS of DARKNESS?

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

A

Ariel82

what's evil about this quote?

Elvis Presley

"God gave me a voice, If I turned against God I'd be ruined." (Gary Herman, Rock 'n Roll Babylon, p.16)

God likes music and when His people praise Him from the heart.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

[h=3]Ephesians 5:18-20[/h]New King James Version (NKJV)

[SUP]18 [/SUP]And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, [SUP]19 [/SUP]speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, [SUP]20 [/SUP]giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

the heart makes a natural drumming beat, all you have to do is add words to the melody.

U

Ugly

what's evil about this quote?

God likes music and when His people praise Him from the heart.

[/SIZE]Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Ephesians 5:18-20

New King James Version (NKJV)

[SUP]18 [/SUP]And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, [SUP]19 [/SUP]speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, [SUP]20 [/SUP]giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

the heart makes a natural drumming beat, all you have to do is add words to the melody.
The site he got this from is one of those 'everything is evil' sites. You pretty much can't go anywhere, do anything, like anyone or anything.. the only things that aren't evil are the very small, few things that the site owners deem is acceptable. And these sites are Notorious for twisting quotes, scripture, taking things out of context, and often getting information completely wrong. These are the people who would've been burning 'witches' in Salem.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
what do you guys like?? seems like your against everything except the 1611 Bible. you know when you shut yourself off from 99% of things and have a very few things you like and only listen to a few people that is called a cult.

Dec 26, 2012
[TABLE="class: cms_table, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD]Is Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) DIFFERENT and SEPARATE from the world?

Does Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) have FELLOWSHIP with the WORKS of DARKNESS?

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Chosen,

Do these lyrics sound like they are from the world?

Enter in

Once a year for sacrifice just one priest could pay the price
And step inside the inner veil to make the people free
Temple stood the same for years till the Nazarene appears
Things will never be the same since 33 A.D.
When He spoke and bowed His head
He who saved the world was dead
Then the earth began to shake
Heaven's wall began to break
Opening the Holy Place
The temple veil is torn in two
The way is clear for me and you

(Chorus)
We can enter in, enter in
Into Heaven's Holy place
Boldly by His blood we can approach His throne of grace
We can enter in a new and living Way
By our faith He will receive us when we pray

Now without a second look we forget what all it took
To be seen as innocent by His Holy eyes
Never thinking foolishly there is something He won't see
For our lack of righteousness there is no disguise
He won't look the other Way
Someone's life will have to pay
Once for all it has been done
Taken out upon His Son
He remembers it no more
Now for us He is the Door
Opened up forevermore

We can enter in His gates with thankfulness and praise
Into the once forbidden Holy place
We can live in goodness and in mercy all our days
We can enter in a new and living Way
By our faith He will receive us when we pray
We don't have to be afraid to seek His face
We can enter in

More lyrics: Petra Lyrics

See the are the types of songs that God has used in my life. Now is it because they play it like this?

[video=youtube;cL2AVfx7Lns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL2AVfx7Lns[/video]

Dec 26, 2012
The site he got this from is one of those 'everything is evil' sites. You pretty much can't go anywhere, do anything, like anyone or anything.. the only things that aren't evil are the very small, few things that the site owners deem is acceptable. And these sites are Notorious for twisting quotes, scripture, taking things out of context, and often getting information completely wrong. These are the people who would've been burning 'witches' in Salem.
It just seems that they would be the same ones that would go into a culture and force them to change their music because it's evil. (IE traditional Japanese instruments because they sound weird and they make an evil sound) We have to westernize their music because that's more Christian. Never mind the fact that if one were to truly get totally traditional one should be singing in Hebrew and Greek with rams horns and tambourines. :p

Dec 26, 2012
Of course they have to twist it otherwise they can't prove their point. That little test on the contemporary Christian music,I can give them where some of the artists are playing songs they shouldn't but I can't let it go when they took the one line out of a Petra song that is the same line,but it was totally taken out of context of the song. The two songs are NOTHING alike except for that one line. What the guy who wrote that test up left out these lines

You can learn to dance Or you can be a square You can let the music take you anywhere But where will you be when the music's gone?

You can love the rock And let Him free your soul Or you can let the old man take his toll It's never too late to change your mind.

I don't know about you but I think that clarifies what they are trying to say. Not quite what the person that wrote that test trying to imply what that the song is actually saying.

E

enoch1nine

It's not the music you listen to, it's how you listen to the music that's already there.

"Therefore at that time, when all the people heard the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and all kinds of music, all the people, the nations, and the languages, fell down and worshipped the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up."

D

didymos

This is very clear:

This "test" is by definition a waste of my time and bandwith.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Although I didn't know it, when I was young and listening to heavy metal, the lyrics were pretty much prophesying over my life. Not in a good way... I wasn't interested so much in the lyrics back then, oddly enough. Even if I were paying attention I don't know if I would have gotten it..

Now the music I listen to is still prophesying over my life. But it is christian music and I am paying close attention to all the lyrics. It keeps me thinking about the Lord.

I can't listen to heavy metal christian music because it reminds me of when I was walking without the Lord. I can't judge it for other people though because different music appeals to different people. What may be just right for you may be silly for the guy next to you. Right now, and for the last 4 yrs my favorite band has been 3rd Day. Probably heavier than most christian music but if you compared it to the music I listened to when I was younger it would be viewed as church organ music...

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
Nautilus, you just cannot handle the truth. You may want to examine yourself. To make sure you are really saved. I am just saying.

5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? - 2 Corinthians 13:5 (Holy Bible)

One of the signs of a true Christian is that they will have a love for the truth.

And no, it is not speaking in tongues or falling on the floor like some of the Charismatics like to claim.

But again, one of the major factors that a person is truly converted and truly saved, is his new love for the truth.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. - John 16:13 (Holy Bible)

R

RachelBibleStudent

in david's time the psalms were 'contemporary' music...

also about 1,000 years ago there were people arguing that church organs were evil...

Dec 26, 2012

also about 1,000 years ago there were people arguing that church organs were evil...
But,but they are. I mean haven't you seen the old Vincent Price horror movies where he is playing that big pipe organ? Or is it because they play them at baseball and hockey games,I keep forgetting which is the reason. :rolleyes:

notuptome

May 17, 2013

God spoke the Psalms so they are contemporary with Him.
It wasn't all that long ago they taught the earth was flat and the universe revolved around the earth.
The most elegant glass in the world filled with just a spec of arsenic in the water is deadly.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Jun 30, 2011
Same here brother! Conviction not manipulation - we are free of manipulation and condemnation

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I was a professional rock musician before I got saved. It was a very unrighteous life. But sometimes I would sing "Amazing Grace" and people would weep. I had no idea that was conviction of the Holy Spirit, and God using a donkey to sing his praises.

So I gave up non-Christian music when I got saved. That means LYRICS that exalted self, worldly love (eros) and material things. Listening to CCM is one of the factors that God used to save me.

Not all Christian music is perfect, and I enjoy an old hymn put to modern music.

The object of Christian music is to glorify God. Some of it does, and some does not. The Holy Spirit will let us know when music is from God or not.

Here is one of my current favorites:

"10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord)" Matt Redman

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me