Could anybody explain me what does the paths of job 4:10,11 mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

josue

Could anybody explain me what does the paths of job 4:10,11 mean?

Oct 31, 2011
When Job was afflicted, three friends came to help him and give him reasons for his affliction. All had thoughts about God's principles that were popular thinking at the time. Eliphaz was the first friend. He said that Job was being punished for a sin he had committed. In verse 10 and 11 of chapter 4, Elphaz is saying destruction can come to a lion in spite of its strength.

At the end of the book of Job it is explained that Elphaz, as well as the other two friends, were wrong.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Hebrew poetry as in Job rhymes in meanings... not sounds as most Western poetry does. It repeats itself for emphasis.
So take the two previous verses

Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same. By the blast of God they perish, and by the breath of his nostrils are they consumed.
(Job 4:8-9)

and couple them with

The roaring of the lion, and the voice of the fierce lion, and the teeth of the young lions, are broken. The old lion perisheth for lack of prey, and the stout lion's whelps are scattered abroad.
(Job 4:10-11)

and it becomes evident Eliphaz is (falsely) charging Job to be in iniquity and though Job may be strong in his rebellion God will break his powerful pride.

Elin

Banned
Jan 19, 2013
Hebrew poetry as in Job rhymes in meanings... not sounds as most Western poetry does. It repeats itself for emphasis.
So take the two previous verses

Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same. By the blast of God they perish, and by the breath of his nostrils are they consumed.
(Job 4:8-9)

and couple them with

The roaring of the lion, and the voice of the fierce lion, and the teeth of the young lions, are broken. The old lion perisheth for lack of prey, and the stout lion's whelps are scattered abroad.
(Job 4:10-11)

and it becomes evident Eliphaz is (falsely) charging Job to be in iniquity and though Job may be strong in his rebellion God will break his powerful pride.
I see a slight variation on that.

In vv.7-9, "Consider now: Who, being innocent, has ever perished?" (v.7), I see the principle that if Job is truly innocent, he will not be destroyed.

Then in vv. 10-11, just as the strongest lions eventually die (vv. 10-11), so the wicked are eventually destroyed (vv. 8-9).

I don't see an inference that Job is rebellious.