Could you be friends with..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

German4296

I have friends who smoke weed, drink, sneak out, party, etc. and don't know if I should still be friends with them even though I've known them for about 5 years now. They never pressure me on doing any of those thing and I don't mind that they do them but still I'm if-y on if I should still be around them. What are y'all opinions on this?

Mar 1, 2012
Well, they don't pressure you into doing anything. I don't see why you shouldn't. But if anyone does put pressure on you to do anything like that, just get away from them. The partying doesn't seem that bad. But as long as you don't get drunk or get 'high' off drugs while your partying, I don't see why not.

Last edited:

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
1 Corinthians 15:33 ~ "Do not be deceived: 'Bad company corrupts good morals.'"

I don't think you can (or should) avoid "bad company" all together, but I think you should be careful who your close friends are, and choose carefully the people with whom you spend a lot of time.

M

Moe

I have friends who smoke weed, drink, sneak out, party, etc. and don't know if I should still be friends with them even though I've known them for about 5 years now. They never pressure me on doing any of those thing and I don't mind that they do them but still I'm if-y on if I should still be around them. What are y'all opinions on this?

Just a little food for thought. No matter how careful you may be there will come a time when you will get burnt by playing with fire. Now if they are Christians, or say they are christians, then Paul has some advice for you in First Corinthians Chapter five. Now if they are not Christians, why spend time with those willing to
be on the dark side. I think you can do so much better...Cheers

U

Ugly

If these are your ONLY friends, that may be a problem. If you have Christian friends to balance out and support you then it should be fine. In fact, you could be a witness to these guys as long as you're not being pressured or tempted to follow suit.

B

Bribririch

It's so hard when it comes to friends. Especially when you're a strong Christian in a public setting. That's my situation. I'm young, I am susceptible, and I am open hearted. But I know what's good from what is bad. I'm currently going through a situation with a good friend. I've come to the point, where I love him as a brother. And we've always had opposing views on religion. He's known never to cross me on such topics because I will fight for my Lord. Yet, today, he seemed unable to stop from expressing himself. And the things he said were so vile and satanic, that I knew there was something possessing his heart. And it hurt me so bad, I had to hang up and cry and pray just like Jesus did on that cross for us, "Forgive Him, Father, for he knows not what he does." And even know I find myself yearning for his Salvation. I want to be with him in heaven. I want there to be something in his heart worth saving. But the more I try, the more it hurts. So when it comes to bad company, I say you should be strong in prayer, you should be strong in faith, and you should be strong in courage. Because with that, you will be headfast in your ways and you will be able to let God speak through you. This is the constant prayer I keep in my heart to keep me from temptations: "Lord, let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to you, Oh, Lord. My Strength and Me Redeemer. Psalms 19:14."

J

Jordache

They may not pressure you directly. But there may be other reasons you are there that you should check out.

gideon007

Jun 30, 2012
try to ponder on this line : tell me who your friends are and i will tell you who are..

you should avoid those kind of friends...they will do no good to you... if a spoil fruit is mixed with a fresh fruit it will certainly spoils the latter...

Aug 8, 2010
As long as they respect you and your wishes I see no issues, I have friends that do things I may not agree with but they respect me, and I them, as long as everyone knows each others boundaries and acts accordingly.

B

Brandon777

If you're not affected negatively by them, I think it's good. And perhaps they are positively impacted by you.

M

martin53

There is a way to think of this. Let's say you had a friend of yours, and this friend was a really good friend to you. One time, he had even saved your life. This guy loves you a lot. But there is a problem: when you bring this friend to meet your other friends, they reject your friend, and ask you to leave him at his house. He's always asking you to not do the things that your other friends are doing, and they think this guy is a dork, and he looks funny too. Your friend is not too forceful, so if you want to leave him behind you may, but it hurts this friend a lot. But this friend is far more loyal, honest, true, and loves you far more than any of your other friends. He only wants what's best for you. So it finally comes down to which friend are you willing to keep?

It may be like this with Jesus. Jesus is your King, your Lord, and Savior, but He is also your friend. You have His Holy Spirit with you. Be open about your beliefs and convictions with your friends, when they ask you to do something that is not right, or when you feel that you have to do something that God wants you to do. If your friends, at the least, respect your Friend, and what He wants you to do, then ok. But if they reject you because of Jesus, rejoice and be very glad because Jesus said that is the same way the prophets were treated in the past, and your reward in Heaven is great. But at the time, it is better to look for other friends.

T

timbo2computers

Jesus had "bad" friends... definitely stay there friend!

B

bealight2012

Probably shouldn't be friends with them if you ever feel pressured or tempted to do what they do......
ALL I'M SAYING is the light and the darkness have nothing in common and flirting with sin doesn't seem like the best route to take...

Just Saying....I have to remind myself of these things because those things look so appealing sometimes.

I

In_Bloom

You shouldn't be unequally yoked with non-believers. Are you making plans with them? Is your life tied to theirs? I like what someone said about balancing with Christian friends if you have any. Are you able to witness to them? Can you invite them to church? That's an awesome witnessing opportunity, and if you're able to resist all the stuff theyre doing, I commend you bro! Christianity is all about showing the world the Light, who is Jesus in us, so if you're in a dark place you definitely want to shine. I do know that 16 is a very impressionable age, much better time spent in the word with healthy fellowship, though, I don't know how spiritually mature you are... just know God loves em more than you do, and if you are hurting God's image by being their friend then I would be really careful. People are watching you my friend, when they see you I pray they see Jesus in you.

Love you bro, whatever you choose, be careful, be loving, God bless you.

hellopeople

Jun 2, 2012
Psalm 1, yeah God's wisdom tells us we shouldn't be in companionship with unbelievers.

2 Corinthians 6:14

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
Psalm 1, yeah God's wisdom tells us we shouldn't be in companionship with unbelievers.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Eeh, Psalm 1 can be interpreted that way but it can also be interpreted as, "Don't walk in sin." instead of "Don't hang out with those who walk in sin."

Because honestly, if you are gonna further God's kingdom you are gonna have to at least acknowledge the unsaved and the people who don't walk with God.

I think I'll go ahead and paste Psalm 1 onto here

Psalm 1 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

BOOK 1

The Righteous and the Wicked Contrasted.

1 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.

4 The wicked are not so,
But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
6 For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the wicked will perish.

N

ness

In my opinion it is bad. Like it says in 1 Corinthians 15: 33 Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character. It is very true for EVERYONE no one can say it is not. We are all in the flesh and we are all tempted even if people don't directly tempt us. Im not saying all of a sudden stop talking to your friends, but i would suggest maybe slowly remove your self from that group and join a different group. I promise it will be a HUGE blessing in your life. I have always though if you have to second guess it, then it is probably not right.

Good luck, God bless you:)

Z

Zork

Personally I'd advise you to get away from them, my old friends would talk about their sexual experiences in front of me and that made me struggle with lust a lot more. Your better off not hanging around as close friends with non-Christians.

You can hang out with non-Christians to tell the gospel but as friend friends, better off with Christians.

E

EnaGoguette

Preach the Gospel to people like this, don't get too close to ungodly people (Psalm 1). Don't become enemies with them, but don't be close friends either, because, trust me, as my parents always say people like that can badly influence you, it doesn't have to be like, 'Hey Dude, come smoke some weed with us', but just being around them can kinda bring you down a level in your Christianity Standards! Simply show love towards them and Preach the Gospel!:) PEACE!

Jun 8, 2012
I feel that you need to stand up for whats right by making a stand against evil. Be ye NOT unequally yoked. That's my opinion. You can befriend them from a distance by not being entangled with them and what they do.