Counting the Cost

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hopesprings

Well if you've read my testimony (I posted it under the Testimony heading) then you will be able to understand a little of where I'm coming from. So...I title this thread "Counting the Cost"

Am I willing to give up all for Jesus? That question is loaded with more then we can imagine. When I think of this question, my mind automatically goes to material things. If I had to give up our house, vehicles, furniture, and all other luxeries. As much as one can imagine it, I believe that I would be willing to do this, even living in a cardboard box on the street, if God wanted it. I guess I'm just not necessarily attached to things. It's when it gets personal that I start to wonder.

What if I had to give up my boys? What if I had to give up my husband? What if I had to give up my own life? I didn't put this in my testimony, but earlier this year I almost died (following my second surgery). I found out what people who have strokes feel like - helplessly trapped in your own body - unable to communicate - laying there in the trama room while you are poked with needles and hooked up to machines. It's easy to say that you would be willing to give up your own life, but most of us don't know what that actually looks like. When Jesus talks about our willingness to give up everything, he doesn't limit that to material things - it is personal, it is imtimate. Peter was a married man. I wonder how his wife felt when he left all to follow after Christ? who took care of his family? And, how did Peter feel about leaving his family behind?

What if 'counting the cost' means I lose one or both of my boys? Would I still be willing to follow or would the cost be too high? What if he took my health? What if he took my life? I am reminded of someone that I used to know, a very godly woman, who developed cancer and ended up leaving behind her husband and 6 kids. She was willing to take all that he had for her, even though there was crippling pain, confusion, muteness, death. She was willing to take it, leaving her family in the end, for Him. Do I have that same devotion? Do we (as God's people) have that same love for the Savior?

It's easy to say "yes", but hard to consider what that could mean. Then, after understanding it, still being able to follow...

"Though he slay me, yet will I trust" Job 13:15

What does counting the cost mean to you?

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
Well if you've read my testimony (I posted it under the Testimony heading) then you will be able to understand a little of where I'm coming from. So...I title this thread "Counting the Cost"

Am I willing to give up all for Jesus? That question is loaded with more then we can imagine. When I think of this question, my mind automatically goes to material things. If I had to give up our house, vehicles, furniture, and all other luxeries. As much as one can imagine it, I believe that I would be willing to do this, even living in a cardboard box on the street, if God wanted it. I guess I'm just not necessarily attached to things. It's when it gets personal that I start to wonder.

What if I had to give up my boys? What if I had to give up my husband? What if I had to give up my own life? I didn't put this in my testimony, but earlier this year I almost died (following my second surgery). I found out what people who have strokes feel like - helplessly trapped in your own body - unable to communicate - laying there in the trama room while you are poked with needles and hooked up to machines. It's easy to say that you would be willing to give up your own life, but most of us don't know what that actually looks like. When Jesus talks about our willingness to give up everything, he doesn't limit that to material things - it is personal, it is imtimate. Peter was a married man. I wonder how his wife felt when he left all to follow after Christ? who took care of his family? And, how did Peter feel about leaving his family behind?

What if 'counting the cost' means I lose one or both of my boys? Would I still be willing to follow or would the cost be too high? What if he took my health? What if he took my life? I am reminded of someone that I used to know, a very godly woman, who developed cancer and ended up leaving behind her husband and 6 kids. She was willing to take all that he had for her, even though there was crippling pain, confusion, muteness, death. She was willing to take it, leaving her family in the end, for Him. Do I have that same devotion? Do we (as God's people) have that same love for the Savior?

It's easy to say "yes", but hard to consider what that could mean. Then, after understanding it, still being able to follow...

I agree with all you said.
If we had to give up everything in order to follow Jesus, He would give us the strength, the faith and the grace to do it & he will supply all our needs.
He will equip us according to his will.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
YesI can see how hard that would be, i was blessed with being able not to worry about money or a house or job for now, i instead very much enjoy movies and my computer. I told god how one day i wanted to leave it all behind and go out into the world and live just as jesus lived. Right now i am not ready to do so and am scared of the unkown, but not scared to lose all these things. You asked if you would be willing to give it all up? I asked myself this before too but the answer i came up with is that if am not now god will turn me into the person that will. Even now i am far from that person but i faith god will change me and if you also have faith in this he will do the same for you

K

kenisyes

The only things you have to give up are the things God doesn't want you to have. And you don't even have to think about what those things are. If you are sincere about following Jesus, He takes what He wants and makes sure you are ready. Just like with your surgery. It's the people who don't trust God who always need to be afraid of losing things.

O

OFM

counting the cost is following Jesus as we r called2 allways.

H

hopesprings

YesI can see how hard that would be, i was blessed with being able not to worry about money or a house or job for now, i instead very much enjoy movies and my computer. I told god how one day i wanted to leave it all behind and go out into the world and live just as jesus lived. Right now i am not ready to do so and am scared of the unkown, but not scared to lose all these things. You asked if you would be willing to give it all up? I asked myself this before too but the answer i came up with is that if am not now god will turn me into the person that will. Even now i am far from that person but i faith god will change me and if you also have faith in this he will do the same for you
You blessed my heart with your reply. Thank you. :)

H

hopesprings

The only things you have to give up are the things God doesn't want you to have. And you don't even have to think about what those things are. If you are sincere about following Jesus, He takes what He wants and makes sure you are ready. Just like with your surgery. It's the people who don't trust God who always need to be afraid of losing things.
I agree. I think that sometimes God asks us to give up the things that he doesn't want us to have. But, I think sometimes he asks us to give up good things too - whether it be to test us or just for his good purpose. I am not really talking about being afriad of losing things - its more of examining the totality of the statement "counting the cost". I think that North America, in general, has a very watered down version of the gospel and we don't really understand what some of our brothers and sisters in other countries have to go through for their faith in Christ. We are blessed here, even though we often do not realize it. I am not afraid of losing any of these things, per say (family included) - because I know that God works all things together for good. I am assured of this promise. It is evident in my life. But it is the actual feeling of the heart breaking, of the child being lost, of the leaving loved ones behind that causes one to consider - yet I will follow him still. I am thoroughly convinced that when Jesus spoke to his disciples about counting the cost and carrying their cross daily, that he was trying to talk them out of it, in a sense, because the way would be more difficult then they could imagine. I think it is the same for us.

F

ForeverHis42

i have thought about this before, and sometimes i get kinda scared. because i could definitely give up my home. and bed. and even cc. but when u go farther. what about my mom? what if she died? what if my brothers got kidnapped? what if he took my family. what scared me even more is my cat. i love her too much. i have had her for a few years but i am so attached. when i cry she cuddles. when she gets sick i take extra care or her. she purrs like a jet when shes happy and it makes me feel good. she knows she has a home (adopted from the shelter) but what if she was put on the street? what if...oh gosh, i dont even like thinking about. but what if...u know what, i am just going to stop now

lets just put it this way... i hope i could say yes. but i honestly am not sure