Court-martialed for Expressing Her Faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
U.S.
[h=3]Court-martialed for expressing faith? Court hears ex-Marine’s religious freedom case[/h]

A federal appeals court on Wednesday weighed the case of a former Marine court-martialed in part for expressing her Christian faith while on the job – though the Marine’s lawyer faced tough questions from judges who suggested she was “thumbing her nose at a superior” with her actions. Monifa Sterling, while with the Marines, had posted biblical verses at her desk, despite orders from a superior to remove them. At issue in Wednesday’s case is the extent to which a federal law on religious freedom protects members of the Armed Forces like her. The central issue of free speech on government property, especially within a military context, has made this case closely watched. But several judges hearing ...Read more

W

WarriorForChrist

I believe she was disrespectful of her superior and was doing this to basically shove it in his face. There are many businesses that don't allow their employees to put up any form of personal objects, pictures etc... at their work stations. She has religious freedom but she also must follow the rules of her employer. Instead of posting the verses up after her superior took them down, she should have gotten some sort of advice from her chaplain to see if she was in the wrong or right. Sometimes Christians really pick the wrong fight when it comes to their faith.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
What people may not realize is.......the U.S. Military IS NOT a Democracy.

Sometimes, even the Soldiers forget that....... :)

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
What people may not realize is.......the U.S. Military IS NOT a Democracy.

Sometimes, even the Soldiers forget that....... :)
however it is part of the government, and that government can not deny free speech/freedom of religion.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
however it is part of the government, and that government can not deny free speech/freedom of religion.
If you think Soldiers have the right to "free speech," I suggest you enlist and give it a shot!

The Uniform Code of Military Justice governs the Military

Feb 7, 2015
I have to agree with the two of you. This whole thing had a bit of a stink to it the very first time I saw it on TV. I think it is just a case of a smart-ass trying to use God's word to be disruptive and rebelious.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
If you think Soldiers have the right to "free speech," I suggest you enlist and give it a shot!

The Uniform Code of Military Justice governs the Military
And it still has to uphold the US Constitution. which trumps all.

W

WarriorForChrist

And it still has to uphold the US Constitution. which trumps all.
There is no freedom of speech in the military. You shut up and listen to your superiors. That doesn't mean a superior can abuse his/her authority. The work space isn't the soldiers, it is the US Governments and if it chooses to not allow bible versus, pictures of family etc... at the work station then you don't put it up. He wasn't silencing her religious beliefs.

Feb 7, 2015
yet they make a oath to support and defend the constitution. so if they don't then they actually violate the oath.
We can play "yeah, but" all day. The facts remain. The Military operates under its own rules... the UCMJ.

K

kaylagrl

We can play "yeah, but" all day. The facts remain. The Military operates under its own rules... the UCMJ.

If it was the Koran do you think there would be a big deal made of it? Christianity is being pushed out of the military. I dont think if it was a Muslim this big a deal would have been made JMO

W

WarriorForChrist

If it was the Koran do you think there would be a big deal made of it? Christianity is being pushed out of the military. I dont think if it was a Muslim this big a deal would have been made JMO
We can only speculate on that. The superior didn't make her remove her bible, he made her remove things she pinned up at her work station.

Feb 7, 2015
That may be true, but I don't think this case has a thing to do with Christianity, other than our own Christian media using it as an opportunity to squawk. I honestly don't think it can be much clearer that this is only a spoiled, entitlement brat trying to get her way.

K

kaylagrl

That may be true, but I don't think this case has a thing to do with Christianity, other than our own Christian media using it as an opportunity to squawk. I honestly don't think it can be much clearer that this is only a spoiled, entitlement brat trying to get her way.
​It could be,heaven knows there are enough of those people around these days!

jb

Feb 27, 2010
I have to agree... I think it is just a case of a smart-ass trying to use God's word to be disruptive and rebelious.
Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
It would take 5 or more pages to describe the differences between the Military Justice System and the Justice System for US Citizens in general.....what we call "Civilians."

While many of the protections/rights afforded all citizens are included in the UCMJ, many are not, and for good reason. The US Military is not a part of the Federal Government as people normally view the Federal Government. It is a separate entity unto itself. This is exactly why the President of the United States has two distinctly different Titles/Duties under the Constitution.

President of the United States........Civilian Government
Commander in Chief...........U.S. Military

There are two separate Chains of Command as well...........

Just want to list a couple of differences some people might not be aware of.

Freedom of Speech IS NOT a Constitutional Right for Active Duty Military Personnel. Reason being is that in order to maintain Unit coherency, individual opinions, the right to question one's Superiors is not allowed, for that would create disruption and chaos within the Unit/Command. ALL Lawful Orders must be obeyed without question by ALL Military Personnel.

Simple example is when the question is posed to new recruits:

"Which is more important.....the Mission or the men?" The Mission always takes precedent over the men. US Military Personnel are expendable. Cold hard truth. When one enlists, them become US Military Property, and issued a Serial Number which serves to identify them.

A Military Commander can, at any time, at his/her own desire order a search of all Military Barracks/Offices/Property. Soldiers are not protected from these searches by the Constitution.

Soldiers are considered US Military Property, as I stated earlier.........a Soldier can even be punished for getting a sever sunburn........if that sunburn is sever enough to prevent him/her from being able to perform their duties in a normal manner. Now, this is an extreme example, but I once processed an Article 15 against a PFC for just this reason. He was Restricted to Barracks for a period of 60 days and fined $35.00. Doesn't sound like much money right? That was his ENTIRE Monthly pay......he lost one months pay!

I'm only scratching the surface here, and probably causing more questions than providing more answers, but, as I said, it would take pages to explain all the differences.

Soldiers do have Miranda Rights......and are provided Defense Counsel......and are protected by the Right to not incriminate themselves. What may surprise people is.........at the bare naked bone exposed truth......Soldiers do not have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Seems weird right?

What I mean by this is........if a Soldier finds themselves in a firefight, and they decide it is too dangerous to continue to engage the enemy, they DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to choose to leave the field of battle in order to protect their lives. That is Desertion Under Fire..........the worst penalty a Soldier can commit. They do not have the right to "liberty" because they are told when to get up, when to eat, what to wear, where to go, when to stand up, when to sit down, even when to go to the bathroom........pretty much their entire lives are structured and regulated by the US Military. Now, granted, these extreme measures are while the Soldier is in training.......Basic Training and/or Advanced Individual Training. But in certain other instances, these limitations are in place for ALL Soldiers, throughout their carer.

The "pursuit of happiness" is replaced with the duty to complete the Mission. The Mission comes first. The Mission ALWAYS comes first.

This is what a lot of civilians don't understand about the Military, and the men and women who actually volunteer to serve in the Military. Why would anyone do so? Out of a sense of DUTY!

If someone has an honest question, I will try to answer it as best as I can, but I won't quibble with those who don't understand the Military, or just want to gripe. I am an old Soldier, and I respect all Soldiers, regardless of their Branch of Service, and while I may not agree with our Foreign Policies and how the Military is sometimes used, I will support the men and women who suit up and answer the call when they are ordered into harms way.