Courtship

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Joshie

Well girls what do you think of the idea Courtship, as opposed to Dating? Would you find it more appealing? (both biblically and just in your own preference?)

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
I would go with courtship because modern dating practices contradict biblical principles of purity and it creates an avenue for temptation to commit fornication.

J

Joshie

What's wrong? :L

B

Bea22

Yes. ......

A

Aqua_Girl09

depends on what they're taught and raised to want. I was taught that dating was ok. (sex shouldn't happen but if it does use protection)

now i don't agree with the common rules of dating, and kissing should be off limits. MAYBE kissing on the cheek after engagement or something. but courtship is a title that almost lays down your intentions and rules without going into detail. you can date and still have the same rules as courtship so you can call it the same thing. but depending on what you're comfortable with courtship is a HUGE signal to girls that not only are you dating to find a wife but you're doing it the way God is leading you to do it.

i feel like its TOTALLY ok to hold hands, my church feels like thats too showy. soooo i guess everyone has their own rule mays and you have to sit down and talk with that person when you decide to court. i guess when you show interest in someone you'll just have to evenutally sit down and talk with her. but as a christian to me there are major points when i guy says hes courting rather then dating ^_^

J

jimmydiggs

Courtship > Dating

Dating is just what we call the modern ritual of attempting to get laid, co-habitate while fornicating, and then marry.

B

Brandon777

My opinion: Jesus want's us to court the pretty ladies. :p

Justcuz

Banned: 13 forum posts with blatant lies about CC
Jul 6, 2012

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012
Hmm... I'm old-fashioned so i prefer if a guy would court me rather than ask me on a date. If a guy tries to court you it means that he is sincere and trying to win your heart whereas in dating you are still figuring it out if you are compatible to each other and of course there is no commitment in dating. I think it is sweet if a guy would seek permission to the girl's parents to court her. I don't know but it's so rare to find guys like that nowadays.

H

heavenleejewel

To be honest.. I think Courtship has been watered down with the years. I am not too fond of the idea of Christians "dating".... now, if two individuals are strictly "dating" each other I would hope that courtship would take place ad that the end goal would be marriage. I think that dating can easily set you up to fall into temptation...and I don't care how spiritual you are...you may not completely fall but you will trip...playing with fire will get you burned..we are told to flee from anything that stimulates youthful lust.

W

wwjd_kilden

I've never been on a date (Shocking, I know :p), I have however been courted online (long distance relationship).

It is a nice thing, but in my experience words are often nothing more than words. So though the idea is nice, a guy that is courting you doesn't have to be any better than one that wants to go on a date.

K

Ky24

Courtship is about the wooing of the spirit not just the dating of the body. To have someone care for you enough to pause and think about what will win someone's heart is a true courtship. Dating is easy in our world. Take her out to dinner and a movie...courtship is the late night talks ob the phone because waiting until the next date is too far away. The sitting on the porch steps for hrs talking about nonsense...spending time qith the other persons family just to learn more about her....that is true courtship...slow and steady and deep....not just a quick bit to eat...love letters, txts, or emails...phone calls, late night talks, fellowshiping in God together.dating usually hits the physical aspect...courting touches the soul and wins the heart...

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Courtship is about the wooing of the spirit not just the dating of the body. To have someone care for you enough to pause and think about what will win someone's heart is a true courtship. Dating is easy in our world. Take her out to dinner and a movie...courtship is the late night talks ob the phone because waiting until the next date is too far away. The sitting on the porch steps for hrs talking about nonsense...spending time qith the other persons family just to learn more about her....that is true courtship...slow and steady and deep....not just a quick bit to eat...love letters, txts, or emails...phone calls, late night talks, fellowshiping in God together.dating usually hits the physical aspect...courting touches the soul and wins the heart...
You are right.
I believe courtship relationship has a purpose and lays a good foundation for marriage. It should not be about pleasing the flesh but should be God-centered.
I like this quote by the author Joshua Harris: "In courtship our goals should be to grow and guard. We want to grow closer so we can truly know each other’s characters, but we also want to guard each other’s hearts because the outcome of our relationship is still unknown".