Coveting

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Wondered if you ever had friends that seemed like they are covetous (of you, or your possessions) and if so, how to deal with them.

They might not say I outright that they want such and such, but maybe drop plenty of hints.

On the other hand what about friends that constantly dangle things in front of you saying do you want this or that, when you havent even said you wanted anything and it might be things you already have. Im just finding a few things that are odd about someone and then after a visit I find I have a huge pile of things from them that I dont need!

But then maybe I do the same because, I've always been given free things that I cant keep so just end up giving them away.

give you an example, today I was given, a bottle of water, free lunch, and then I was asked if I wanted a cat. one of my neighbours is always me giving avocados and lemons, we end up with so many, that mum then passes them on to my cousins.
I had to say well I already have a cat.
and then theres all these free magazines and goodies the bookshop gives away. I give them away too. Sometimes I feel like a distribution centre, but then most of my jobs have been like that.

G

Godsgirl83

The phrase "Blessed to be a blessing" comes to mind.
Hubs and I often find that things come into our possession that we are like :unsure: what do we want this for......
eventually it gets passed on, often to find out that the person who ends up with it finds it to be the greatest treasure.
I learned to stop complaining when something I consider "junk" comes through our possession because often it becomes a blessing just to be able to bless someone else with it.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Wondered if you ever had friends that seemed like they are covetous (of you, or your possessions) and if so, how to deal with them.

They might not say I outright that they want such and such, but maybe drop plenty of hints.

On the other hand what about friends that constantly dangle things in front of you saying do you want this or that, when you havent even said you wanted anything and it might be things you already have. Im just finding a few things that are odd about someone and then after a visit I find I have a huge pile of things from them that I dont need!

But then maybe I do the same because, I've always been given free things that I cant keep so just end up giving them away.

give you an example, today I was given, a bottle of water, free lunch, and then I was asked if I wanted a cat. one of my neighbours is always me giving avocados and lemons, we end up with so many, that mum then passes them on to my cousins.
I had to say well I already have a cat.
and then theres all these free magazines and goodies the bookshop gives away. I give them away too. Sometimes I feel like a distribution centre, but then most of my jobs have been like that.
I'm in the distribution business as well.

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
I would truly feel sorry for them if they covet what I own. They would have to be destitute at the very least. This is in regards to material things. The only new things I buy are groceries. At least I hope they are new. :)

What I have, I would share if someone needed something I have. I am not materialistic. Maybe this is why I am single?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
people think I always want to rent or move in with them just cos Im single, I find that annoying sometimes. Its not like they are offering me a place to stay for free, its more like, I like you, but how bout buying or renting this place?

Sure, but Ive got my own family and garden to look after too you know, and who says I want to (or can afford) to move?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The phrase "Blessed to be a blessing" comes to mind.
Hubs and I often find that things come into our possession that we are like :unsure: what do we want this for......
eventually it gets passed on, often to find out that the person who ends up with it finds it to be the greatest treasure.
I learned to stop complaining when something I consider "junk" comes through our possession because often it becomes a blessing just to be able to bless someone else with it.
its kinda like pass the parcel...eventually finds a good home.
I worked/volunteered in op shops. I know the feeling.

Rich people have op shops too they just call them antiques.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I would truly feel sorry for them if they covet what I own. They would have to be destitute at the very least. This is in regards to material things. The only new things I buy are groceries. At least I hope they are new. :)

What I have, I would share if someone needed something I have. I am not materialistic. Maybe this is why I am single?
well even groceries have a best before date, after that they are free.

if someones coveting what I own I wonder if feeling sorry for them stops them from coveting though.
Usually I do a trade, if someones coveting my lunch but they have something to exchange I will do that.

we have this free pizza scheme if you read 7 books, so whoevers read seven will have pizza for lunch, and often I tell children when they are getting the pizzas if anyone coveting their pizza tell them they need to read 7 if they want one, for most part children do make the effort and help each other out. But I can imagine there might be a few hungry bullies that want something and manipulate someone else into getting their goods for them.

But then I have seen adults do this (not with pizzas, but with other things) and sometimes it seems to me marriages do this as well. and of course, adultery is outright coveting.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Coveting what I have? Laugh/snort/giggle. Nope. As for getting things to pass on I consider that a huge blessing. My mom and sisters know that they can send things my way and I'll find them good homes. I will get a set of dishes and then hear that there is a teen in foster care who has aged out of the system and needs to set up a home on their own. They have nothing and no family to help. I get to help! That feels incredible. There are women's shelters that need good quality professional clothes in order for the women to apply for jobs, or providing school supplies for the their teens or electronics to replace what had to be left when they fled. I make sure that what I pass on is in good condition and not garbage. If i wouldn't wear it why would I assume that someone else should be happy with it. That is just insulting them. I think that receiving things to distribute is a wonderful opportunity. The next time someone hands you something great that you do not need, pray and ask God where it belongs. You will be amazed at how the right situation presents itself. :)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Coveting what I have? Laugh/snort/giggle. Nope. As for getting things to pass on I consider that a huge blessing. My mom and sisters know that they can send things my way and I'll find them good homes. I will get a set of dishes and then hear that there is a teen in foster care who has aged out of the system and needs to set up a home on their own. They have nothing and no family to help. I get to help! That feels incredible. There are women's shelters that need good quality professional clothes in order for the women to apply for jobs, or providing school supplies for the their teens or electronics to replace what had to be left when they fled. I make sure that what I pass on is in good condition and not garbage. If i wouldn't wear it why would I assume that someone else should be happy with it. That is just insulting them. I think that receiving things to distribute is a wonderful opportunity. The next time someone hands you something great that you do not need, pray and ask God where it belongs. You will be amazed at how the right situation presents itself. :)
you are gold.
sometimes get flack for withdrawing books. but if nobody wants to read them and they cant be given away, why insult others by thinking they would be happy with yellowed outdated copies.

Im always finding new books in good condition to give away. I make sure they are appealing though, and ones that someone doesnt already have. But the thing is to ask first and let the person choose their own, you cant foist stuff on someone else, its a bit rude.

most people here dont have families around to help if they are immigrants, or fostered, but even with some families, their own families dont help them out which is sad. A lot of kids are actually raised these days to fend for themselves.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

No, I don't believe that this is the reason that you are single. As for myself, I have made it a point not to get bogged down with material possessions and unnecessary drama in my life. I travel light on my life's journey and I see that you do too. That's actually a good quality when considering a prospective relationship. I buy my new things each Monday morning at our local grocery store.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
the reason you are single is probably the same reasons why anyone is single. Nobody is born married!

You havent asked anyone to marry you and or if someones asked you youve said no. Or it could be nobodys proposed to you, but personally I wouldnt worry about it. I think if you wanted something so bad you would look for it just like people look for a job or smething to do cos they are bored. when they do land a job it might be something they dont really enjoy, but they are grateful to have a jobI suppose.

The other reasons would be, your spouse died or you got divorced.

though it does seem those who marry are probably materialistic, it used to be people or was it women would have something called a 'glory box' which was like a trunk full of cups and plates and kitchen utensils a wardrobe just incase any dude suddenly proposed marriage, they could instantly move in and set up a house. It as like pack your bags and get ready to go. So all your material possessions would fit into a trunk.
Clothes I understnd but not really the cups and plates and what not. I'm not lugging them around.
The pillows and blankets maybe.

I think it was assumed that a women needed to bring her own can opener and knives and forks or chopticks to the marriage.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
FREE PIZZA?

I'm in!

:)

(can I just read seven Books from the Bible? Is there a test?)
no test, though I do ask you a couple of questions about each book and you can tell me what happens in them and what you thought about them. It can be any seven books. although you probably need to live in nz to redeem the free kids pizza at the pizza store. Sorry Im only delivering to my school.
You are allowed to choose one topping.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
uh oh christmas is just round the corner, and this year, Im actually working in retail. I wonder how thats going to go...thats the time when most people are at their most covetous.

But you know originally saint nicholas only gave to poor children, he didnt give to rich children or adults that already had toys etc.

G

Godsgirl83

But long before Saint Nicholas, a baby was born in a manager.....

Aren't we glad that Jesus was born to be Redeemer for ALL the world?
It doesn't matter what tribe, tongue, nation, color, political party, economic status, age, financial status, (this list could go on and on)

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
mmm Im just thinking of the gift giving.
Im not sure why people do it anymore, because its actually very expenisve to buy gifts for everyone.

I saw some of the goods for sale and one that struck me was this book and toy gift set that was I kid you not $80 and comprised of a book that had this christimas story about an elf, that sits on shelf a whole month before christmas, the books comes with this toy elf, and its meant to fool children into behaving so that on christmas day they can have presents cos its meant to be watching them. it is called elf on the shelf.

The fact that this was eighty bucks was just crazy to me. I thought eighty bucks could buy a christmas dinner to feed a whole family.

maybe im just being too economic, but I think Im a smart shopper and know when something is over priced or a scam! why do people buy it?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I mean you could just say to children, on christmas day we having a party to celebrate Jesus birth, and we all get to take part and maybe there will be surprise for you on the day to make it special.

the gift giving thing and the stockings and the fake trees, and the shops being open all night am really not sure what thats all about though!
Thats something else.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm seemed very quiet last night at the bookshop, but I was told Im allowed to give a free book to any children that are behaving.

The free book is Matilda How to be Brave.

Today I went shopping and went into the op shops. Op shops have childrens books for 50cents. A brand new childrens book can cost anything from $11 to $30
Bibles though, are free.

The Bibles tenth commandment about coveting, the first thing mentioned is the neighbours house. I wonder if this is referring to the person next door to you...or whether its a house in general, because theres a HUGE housing market and its pretty ugly trying to get on to the 'property ladder' they call it.
These days, if someone is selling, so many potential buyers that most just go straight to auction and the highest bidder gets it. There isnt even any asking price cos its usually astronimical. Then what happens is, the house gets busted down and six apartments get built on that bit of land. so that the new owner can collect six times the rent. And they dont need to pay any tax on any gains they make.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I made it through a 'black friday' working in the evening which wasnt that big a deal as customers were steady.
most stores had some discounts, but nothing drastic, at most it was 40 percent off.

the interesting thing is to observe my bosses response to all this. He owns the business and does all the buying and a lot of the selling. He doesnt really like sales as it eats into his profit margin.

but he also gets a thrill when he can buy lots of stock for cheap (and sell it for more) so i dont understand why he would begrudge customers the same thing, that they can get something for much cheaper and most of the time they would be keeping the item not on selling it like he does.

he says he wishes that they bought the item not on the sale day but I said shoppers round here arent stupid. They also arent loaded with money to spend at the drop of a hat, and thats what I think is the difference is between him and regular people. the haves and have nots?

anyway, just my thoughts on this, I suppose if you are a small business every penny counts but at the same time youve got to see things from your customers point of view not just your own.