Cursing... what qualifies?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Sesitivity alert - please pass on this post if you are verbally sensitive.

We know we are not to be given to cursing and profanity. But what qualifies as such? Is simply uttering one of George Carlin's 7 dirty words enough, or must there be some intent on disparagement? For example, is a word used as a descriptive noun (such as "you have an _ _ _") a curse word just because it can also be used as a verb to impugn a character trait (as in "you are an _ _ _")? Is a word that is deemed naughty in one culture but not another a curse just because of it's other cultural significance? Is cursing in the form of loose speaking the same as cursing to impart an effect (as in "oh screw it" vs "I pray that you be screwed")?

Those who know my posts know that on occasion I push the envelope, in part because I believe that cursing requires an intent and act to impart an actual curse upon someone (finding a difference between cussing and cursing). But I'm wondering if perhaps I need to redefine my parameters.

This is a serious inquirey. What is your opinion, and what do you find that the Bible says about it?

Thanks

G

Graybeard

This is a serious inquirey. What is your opinion, and what do you find that the Bible says about it?

Thanks
when I see that what is in bold I want to vomit as the last time I saw that and took it "seriously" (no pun intended), I was scorned, mocked and abused because I took it "seriously".......sorry, just saying

A

Ariel82

God says we will have to give account for ever idle word uttered.

People should try not to speak in anger.

Praying for something bad to happen to someone else I believe is worse than cursing them because it implies you are able to have God partake in your evil deeds/thoughts.

May 15, 2013
Cursing is wishing evil thoughts on your enemies. But calling someone out of their name or species is okay if it were true. God here the heart.

Matthew 3:7
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?

Matthew 12:34
You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

Matthew 23:33
“You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Matthew 23:17
You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred?

Matthew 5:22
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca (senseless),’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 7:26
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

If you call someone a senseless old fool, you must have good evidence to able to call someone that.

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
I think you can use words deemed by man as curse words without them being seen as curse words by God depending on your intent behind them also i think any normal word can be seen as a curse word by God dependinh on the intent.

O

OwenHeidenreich

don't speak the language of death.

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him,

1 Corinthians 6:19 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,
Romans 12:21 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Sep 8, 2012
Well, Jesus said when you've called your brother fool(Racca), that you are in danger of judgement.
So to me, cursing is just that - CURSING others.
As in....."So and so is a complete idiot!"
(See how that might be qualified as cursing someone.)

As for the words, they qualify as coarse language.
I can't see Jesus or the apostles doing that.
I can't see Francis of Assisi stubbing his toe and saying - "Oh #&%^*#!!!"
I can't see Paul sticking a needle through his thumb as yelling - "OHHH *&#^$*#@!!!"
I can't see Peter (after the ascension and the Day of Pentecost), exclaiming - "Awww *&^%$#!!!!"

- Just my opinion.

Oct 31, 2011
God is our Holy Creator. God made man in His image, and even man who has layered himself with sin has that essence within him. God says that when we don't respect that and God it is cursing.

You can put a lot of rules to this so it is a legalistic thing, but that really won't work well. The rules might explain it and help us stay within the law not to curse, but it is the heart that is important.

N

NiceneCreed

I could write you a list of what qualifies, but I would probably be banned from the sight for life. . . LOL!

I am just kidding of course . . .

Grace and Peace!

May 15, 2013
Here's a good example of the meaning of a curse.

Cursing Your Enemies the Bible Way: More on how not to use the Bible.

We all have people in life that we don't like, don't get along with or simply wish would go away. They are people with whom we may disagree or find that they get under our skin. And we are all probably guilty of sending little wish prayers up that sound something like: "Lord, I would be most grateful if you would ring so and so's neck." Or we might wish that the Lord "would move them on" to another church, job, town, etc. And while we may feel and even pray this way sometimes, we also know that Jesus calls on us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us (Matt 5:44).

The Biblical World: Cursing Your Enemies the Bible Way: More on how not to use the Bible.

Genesis 12:3I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”

I guess this verse is saying that God is going to use harsh words on your enemies. I thought it was saying that God will think evil upon them. So this is what God will do to our enemies.

<strong>[video=youtube_share;lvmSReQXqnA]http://youtu.be/lvmSReQXqnA[/video]

P

Powemm

John 12:47
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.
1 Peter 4:11
If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen

M

MidniteWelder

John 12:47
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.
1 Peter 4:11
If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen
Hi Powemm, one quick thing that should be included

And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

Since the "and believe not" has to do with the persons heart
On the other hand if one hears his words and believes, but follows them not.......
But thats the thing, its kinda difficult to hear Christ's words and believe them not huh
;)

Jun 30, 2011
Bible says that power of Life and Death is in the tongue - proverbs 18 i believe, James talks about life and death in the tongue as well - it's not cursing as in *$&# you or whatever - it's tearing people down, speaking curses over their life, rather than blessing. It's yeah I don't really think God is going to save my aunt sally, it's taking God's name in vain - His name is His attributes - when you casually say things that go against building faith.

We should all watch what we say, and ask if we are speaking blessing or cursing

Mar 11, 2011
We are to be sensitive to other peoples customs, and considering that we are representing Christ, who is representing The Father, and The Father's Will is that ALL come to the knowledge of Him and His Will, which IS, pass a message to my people please.( theres a good example of manners & free will) lol

As The Father states that ALL Souls belong to Him, and that it is His Will that ALL come to repentance (sorry for what one did in ignorance of Him(40%) and come to the knowledge of Him(60%) by exercising ones mind in His WORD, spoken & recorded through Moses & the Prophets, both Affirmed & Confirmed by the same Living Word, Christ/Messiah and the lives of His Apostles.

Our biggest Freedom in North America as well as some of the other Nations/Gentiles, is Our Freedom of Speech, in that we are enabled by the protection of the laws to speak our minds, provided that it is not insulting to another culture.

The further back that one goes in Biblical History, the tougher it was to do just that, pass a message; as all other nations/gentiles had already formed a system of belief as to, Where they and ALL this stuff came from, What we are doing here, and what is the future?

That same little patch of land, that the Jewish people regained in 1948, the land of Judeah, that people today for some reason call, Israel. (half true)

What it is about this patch of land, is that the Whole House of Israel was born on that patch of land, Jacob's land inheiritance, that was promised to Abraham who was sojourning in a strange land.( you will find out, IF one studies Our Fathers His-Story, that this is the Iraq of today.)

The reason that Abraham did not attain this land, (taking into account, that the significance of Abraham, is not only Faith, but it was the beginning of the generations of 120 year life spans, prior to that, people were living all kinds of years, up to about 969, or so, but never a 1000; as after the sin in the Garden, Our Father stated, that man would not live a day and he will perish from off the face of the earth; this of course, has to be a God's day obviously.

So the reason that they did not inheirit the land was of course because of Issiac/Laughter; in that Sarah and Abraham laughed(actually giggled) when they were informed by The Angel/Messenger of The LORD(Melchezidek) that they were now going to conceive the child that was promised to them in their 20s( give or take); thing is, they are now 90 & 100, in a 120 year life span, and they giggled at the thought of having pleasure again at their age.

Even though, Our Father understood their lack of understanding, He did not appreciate that they thought for a moment that, there was something ,He couldn't do; (as this is getting far on in the History) thus, He instructed them to call the child Issac, and through Issac /Laughter shall the promise come forth.

It is through Issac that comes Jacob & Essua, with Jacob/Israel ultimately being the one to distribute the first land blessings to the 12 Patriachel Father's of Israel (it takes time lol) in which Judah is a part of; in fact a Big part as this is the linnege of The King line, that ultimately the Messiah would be born through, though not by.

As this would be by the Priest-line, the Levites, in which Mary was a full blood Levite, and in which never get a land inheiritance , as Messiah/Christ is their inheiritance, and they dwelt amongst ALL of the tribes of Israel.(the 10% thing lol)

Anyways to get to the point of the question, (sorry its so long, but this is only scratching the surface of the details of Genisis, and these are the mistakes that we, Judah/Levi/ & the other 11 tribes made, in disappointing Our Father, that WE are to learn by.)

All the above History to this point, is prior to going into captivity in Egypt; Because of the contention between Joseph & his 10 half brothers, who not only sold him as a slave to the enemy(ya we have an enemy, slave-traders) and prior to that, actually contemplating murdering him.(this kind of stuff, does not go well with Our Father : (

But even this, though i'm sure in part, wasn't the final straw that sent them into captivity for 400 years (the WHOLE 13 tribes) It was when they doubted Joseph's Forgiveness, that he willing granted them while their father Jacob/Israel was still alive, that after Jacobs passing, started conspiring as in; now the old mans gone, I wonder what he's gonna do to us now? He's 2nd in command in this land (Egypt) and we tried to kill him before.

So they went before Joseph and begged his forgiveness again. This broke Josephs heart and he wept sore, in that they doubted the forgiveness he had already granted them; as he already told them that it was the Fathers Will all along, so don't sweat it, and look at all the blessings for us.

Forgiveness, ya, soooo important.

So all of this History, is the Covenant made in Love by Our Father, that they were unable to comply with amongst themselves; that they are supposed to represent. thus the 400 year captivity, and Moses etc..

Then after being freed of slavery, through 10 MoreNatural Miracles ( important examples for us as to whats come) tempt Moses (causes him to sin) in going forth to Our Father to tell Him, His childrens, murmuring and complaints.

Thus the 40 years in the desert wilderness; for doubting Him again, and to give them a very strict lesson, in who it is that provides ALL things, to ALL peoples, as its ALL His. lol

And so that they don't ever forget who THE GOD ALMIGHTY of ISRAEL IS.

The scratches above, are nothing compared to the intricate details that are in the Hebrew, ALL this,and sooo much more and its still Genisis and they have only went from Judah, to Egypt to nowhere lol (no land yet) and think about the years ( 8 day creation 8000 Adam,about 555 years, Noah 777 and all kinds of significant names and numbers)

Abraham 130 years etc.....Hey things are starting to happen faster, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! : )

So what else is there to know about Abraham, as to why Our Father loved him soooo much? His faith and obedience are givens, but GOD ALMIGHTY loved Abraham because he always had a bed and meal for any stranger passing by, that he didn't mind providing it for the stranger, so long as the stranger didn't mind that while he is there, that Abraham is allowed to convey to the stranger who to thank and how, and that the stranger is welcome to leave anytime he wishs.

Look at just the scratches of His-Story that Abraham has to share, mezmerizing if one has heard the details.

There is so much more to learn about Abraham, Issac & Jacob/Isreal the Covenant made in Love to help a Soul understand itself, and ALL ISRAEL, all 13 tribes, after all this, blow it again at Mt Siani : ( thus the nescessity of the 10 Eternal Commandments, The Law) that were placed into the side, of The Ark of The Covenant made in LOVE; as NO ONE is getting any land blessings, until you get it right, and that these Commandments that were initially intended for the Nations/Gentiles, are now also going to apply to you's as well, as you keep blowing it, and I cannot fully trust you's.

The Ark of the Covenant, and The 10 Commandments (don't forget, placed into the side of the ark) finally goes forth with Joshua leading the way with the Ark of The Covenant to finally attain their first land blessings, and they blow it again. lol

But then again, these were some pretty scary Gentiles, eating people for snacks, doing human sacrifice, slavery, prostituting, murdering, raping and child abusing, and one would wonder why The Father is sending The Law along side them. lol

Guess i'm venting, sorry, and thank you for letting me, but i'm just trying to express how beautiful Our Father's Word, Genisis alone, fully & completely truly IS, the Foundation for the rest of The Bible, as after Genisis is nothing more than the Proof.

Like I have said many times, its better than any book,movie,soap opera, toy, wife,husband,child,brother, sister,relative, the whole earth and everything in it; As it IS The Truth, and it IS Our Father's, spoken and written WORD, with the promise of The Living WORD still to come yet, long after the above mentioned tibits of His history of events.

So finally after all that, to me anyways, unless one has heard His account, Genisis, (in Hebrew then one living in multi-cultural North America anyways (as this is where I am) doesn't understand their own True Family Heritage, and are robbing themselves.

And I only mentioned N America because of the multi-cultural aspect, so please don't lay the racist card, as I Know, that at this time, Israel IS the WHOLE WORLD. Because The Get Over Death GOD ALMIGHTY, of ISREAL owns it.

Cussing? If one hasn't heard the spoken and written WORD of Our Father, then how can one truly expect to understand The Living WORD, that they are representing, for it IS the same WORD, I feel so sad in spirit, for anyone who doesn't hear The Fathers WORD as it IS how you get to know Him, understand The Living Word in clarity, and fall completely head over heels in love with Him, as A FATHER. Anything else IS cussing lol.

Its ALL that I remember Christ Teaching, expounding upon Genisis so that one can understand the Revealing of Anti- Christ (Anti, actually means Instead of, in Greek) to the masses of people in the world; Revelations.

Praise be to YAHAVEH
Judah be to YAHAVEH'S SAVIOUR

Jesus The Christ/Yeshua Messiah

Hope if anyone reads this, that they hear something good through me. Peace :)

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Thank you all, it's very enlightening and I appreciate all your responses. It seems to back up what has been my understanding, that's it's the intent of your heart behind the words and not necessarily the words themselves. And I loved the Psalm 109 thing; that will be incorporated into another thread soon. But there is one other thing that did come to mind, which was the verse about eating meat sacrificed to idols being ok, but if it causes a brother to stumble then don't. I guess that would apply here as well, using that 3 letter word to describe one's backside may not in and of itself be cursing, but if someone else could be innocently offended by it then perhaps it's best to avoid that usage.

Thank you all. It's nice to have brothers and sisters to keep you between the lines!