cursing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
I do belive the bible speaks of cursing being wrong but what exwctly is cursing.. most of are words we considerd curse words started off as just normal words they only became bad words because people made them out that way... say you stub your toe some people may say s*** an others will say crap to avoid using the one consierded a curse word but your using ether one with the same intent so why is one bad an not another also in this situation your not using the word with evil intent towrds anyone so why should it be considerd cursing? Secondly you can use a curse word directed at someone with evil attent or you can substitute another word but with the same intent so shouldnt they both be considerd cursing at the person?..... i personally dont curse much but i dont acctually thing theres wnything wrong witb the words people consider curse words it depends on your intent behind them and i think any other word can be consierd a curse word depending on your intent....

J

jinx

so.... when I bang my thumb with a hammer and I yell.. "ouch" I'm really cussing????? :rolleyes:

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Well taking the Lord's name in vain is clearly unapproved behavior. Talking like a drunken sailor simply makes you low class and inconsiderate of others. I do think there is a difference between biblical cursing and profanity. Both are unwise but one is speaks to cursing men before God and the other is just vulgar language. We do know that from the mouth comes the issues of the heart. If lingual corruption comes out of the mouth what does that say about the heart?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

J

jerusalem

under the law intent is one of the most difficult things to prove.....in one of the Psalms people will quote to abstain from the appearance of evil...i don't have a resource material to look it up, sorry......point being that society has opted to err on the side of appearances when deciding which words to classify as cursing. i understand your point though as working in the medical profession we can use feces, b. m. or bowel movement, excrement,waste matter,defecated etc. and with children we teach them to say poo, poop, caca, etc. but the one word s---- is prohibited. i used this very example when trying to clear up the confusion for my young son about bad words when he was small. i told him that regardless whether or not it made sense the objective was not to offend. so if he knew that saying something was particularly objectionable to someone that he should avoid saying it. i reminded him of this when he became a teen and started using the expression 'whatever' that clearly became cursing to me in a big hurry as it was offensively dismissive. i have used Matt.3:7 as an example of cursing....ironically it is a quote from John the baptizer who called a group of Pharisees and Sadducees 'you brood of vipers'.his intention was clearly to offend. in terms of an actual curse......that would be witchcraft or calling down damnation from God.....the intention there is to act as a destructive force against the other person it is ill advised to call down fire from heaven without specific instructions to do so from God, and since life and death are in the spoken word ..... prayerfully consider your choices in this regard. your culture determines what the majority have decided are curse words. they are probably based in something said in prior history that has since been forgotten.....a case at Scotland Yard for instance where the phrase felonious use of carnal knowledge was shortened to it's initials took on a life of it's own. it no longer holds it's original meaning as used today'

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Something came to mind on this subject. I saw an old axiom regarding the use of profanity that has helped me to win a small victory over swearing.
Swearing is the sign of a weak mind trying to speak forcibly.
Not a bible quote but I hope it makes one stop to think before acting.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
so.... when I bang my thumb with a hammer and I yell.. "ouch" I'm really cussing????? :rolleyes:
lol no thats what i ment if you say ouch its not cursing but if you use a word people hwve deemend wrong to express the same thing that it hurt i dont think that should be consierd cursing ether.... but i think if you said ouch you to someone with the same intent as if you where using what man considers bad words thwn i think that would be consierd cursing..

J

jinx

some words in society no matter what the word is, no matter how you use it is a cuss word.

stefen

Jun 14, 2013
You have got nice doubt.. We automatically get these words out of our mind /mouth when someone does wrong things and someone stands against us or whatever reason. But What Bible says is practical and has to be literally followed. If we have God's Love. we cannot curse anyone.. Its fact. It will be impossible to curse someone.. If someone is doing wrong against you. we will come far from them as Proverbs and psalms says to be far from them. Our society made us to curse someone to expel our angry. But God's Love is not.

If someone does mistakes after mistakes..As Jesus said to Peter, we have to forgive them 'n' number of times. There are lot of ways in Love to treat someone without cursing. Jesus never cursed the people who put Him in cross. Keep that in mind and take help from Holy spirit.. He will guide you how to live like Christ..

Be blessed.