Dangerous of Bitterness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

alaskachicken

Exodus 15:23
And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah, for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah.

I grew up in a godly family, my dad was a deacon who you would see studying his Bible every single day, the wisest man I knew, he didn't take the pastor's word for it, he researched everything in the Bible personally, he was kind, caring, and loved the Lord greatly. My mother was a prayer warrior, when she prayed, the Lord listened to her prayers, and it was made obvious to anyone who was watching.

Hebrews 12:15
Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

A man was made pastor of the church my family attended, he preached that prayer doesn't work, because it has never worked for him, he taught that the Bible was not meant for today, he also lead my brother to rebel, telling him it was alright. My dad being the deacon tried to get rid of this pastor, as his doctrine and teachings were not sound, the church kept the pastor and got rid of my dad and my family, causing a church split.
My family was deeply hurt, us children had grown up there, it was my mom's brother who had started that church. I believe it was there that the seed of bitterness was planted within ALL of our hearts. I was to young to quite understand what had happened.

We have a principle that we follow in RU ( Reformer's Unanimous)
Our sinful habits hurt those who follow us.

The experience did not make me bitter, I did not really know what was happening, what brought my own personal bitterness on was the church jumping over the years, never staying in one place long. My parent's would find something wrong with the church and leave. I could hear the way they talked about the churches, the tone in their voice, and now that I'm older I realize, there wasn't something wrong with those churches, there was something wrong with us. Hearing the way they bad mouthed the different churches, affected me, and soon I was bad mouthing them, and a root of bitterness began to grow in my own heart ( Please understand, I am not blaming my parents, my actions were my own, and I take full blame and responsibility of them).

Acts 8:22-24
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.
24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

I trusted Christ as my Saviour in 2009, at 19 years old, God worked on my heart as I grew, and he showed me my bitterness and anger, and pointed out the root that had sprung in my heart, the tree that had grown, and the wicked fruit that it had produced.

Psalm 10:17

LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

I humbled myself before the Lord and he heard my cry and has given grace, he has rooted out the bitter root in my heart, he has shown me how easy it is to get the root of bitterness, so subtle at first, but eventually growing into a tree, and bearing rotten fruit. He has caused me to be aware of the dangerous of this little seed. So subtle it is that most cannot see it.
Ephesians 4:31
Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

It's sad for me to say but, my parents, they are out of church, and failing in the biggest spiritual battle we have ever had. The Bible collects dust, The Lord's name is rarely spoken. The atmosphere is heavy, the arguing is constant. The bitterness is thick in their voice and words. I believe my mom's mental breakdown is because we have failed in our spiritual lives, and we have drawn away from God.

There are blessings to these trials.... I have been reading my Bible more, praying more, attending church more. And it is all due to these things.

We must be more aware of the dangerous of this bitter seed and uproot it before it begins to grow.

May 2, 2011

Images for concept only, not an endorsement of any product, site or service ...

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

Exodus 15:23
And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah, for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah.

I grew up in a godly family, my dad was a deacon who you would see studying his Bible every single day, the wisest man I knew, he didn't take the pastor's word for it, he researched everything in the Bible personally, he was kind, caring, and loved the Lord greatly. My mother was a prayer warrior, when she prayed, the Lord listened to her prayers, and it was made obvious to anyone who was watching.

Hebrews 12:15
Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

A man was made pastor of the church my family attended, he preached that prayer doesn't work, because it has never worked for him, he taught that the Bible was not meant for today, he also lead my brother to rebel, telling him it was alright. My dad being the deacon tried to get rid of this pastor, as his doctrine and teachings were not sound, the church kept the pastor and got rid of my dad and my family, causing a church split.
My family was deeply hurt, us children had grown up there, it was my mom's brother who had started that church. I believe it was there that the seed of bitterness was planted within ALL of our hearts. I was to young to quite understand what had happened.

We have a principle that we follow in RU ( Reformer's Unanimous)
Our sinful habits hurt those who follow us.

The experience did not make me bitter, I did not really know what was happening, what brought my own personal bitterness on was the church jumping over the years, never staying in one place long. My parent's would find something wrong with the church and leave. I could hear the way they talked about the churches, the tone in their voice, and now that I'm older I realize, there wasn't something wrong with those churches, there was something wrong with us. Hearing the way they bad mouthed the different churches, affected me, and soon I was bad mouthing them, and a root of bitterness began to grow in my own heart ( Please understand, I am not blaming my parents, my actions were my own, and I take full blame and responsibility of them).

Acts 8:22-24
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.
24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

I trusted Christ as my Saviour in 2009, at 19 years old, God worked on my heart as I grew, and he showed me my bitterness and anger, and pointed out the root that had sprung in my heart, the tree that had grown, and the wicked fruit that it had produced.

Psalm 10:17

LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

I humbled myself before the Lord and he heard my cry and has given grace, he has rooted out the bitter root in my heart, he has shown me how easy it is to get the root of bitterness, so subtle at first, but eventually growing into a tree, and bearing rotten fruit. He has caused me to be aware of the dangerous of this little seed. So subtle it is that most cannot see it.
Ephesians 4:31
Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

It's sad for me to say but, my parents, they are out of church, and failing in the biggest spiritual battle we have ever had. The Bible collects dust, The Lord's name is rarely spoken. The atmosphere is heavy, the arguing is constant. The bitterness is thick in their voice and words. I believe my mom's mental breakdown is because we have failed in our spiritual lives, and we have drawn away from God.

There are blessings to these trials.... I have been reading my Bible more, praying more, attending church more. And it is all due to these things.

We must be more aware of the dangerous of this bitter seed and uproot it before it begins to grow.
Thank You AlaskaChicken
i also had need for bitterness and anger roots to be taken out by the perfect master of weed removal Jesus and may the Lord keep us and remove all bitter root tentacles from us

Oct 31, 2011
What a WONDERFUL post. All of us can see bitterness happening around us, and with prayer, what we can do to be used to help heal. I was a child who had to be taken from a loving home into distention at an early age, it was love given me by the neighbors that saved me, and prepared me to accept my Lord. There is a branch of my family whose God is properness, order, and money so they look on thier world to judge it and another branch who loves God and love. As we keep our eyes on God, not looking to the left or right, and on letting God be the Lord of our world and not try to run it ourselves but leave all judgments of events and people to God, we can weave happily through it all, even be used by God to help.

H

hermanodaniel

This why we must also not murmur against one another (Philippians 2:14 & Galatians 5:15) we are called to love one another. Miriam murmur against Moses and was afflicted with leprosy. Many murmur against Jesus and failed to see that He was the Messiah. Sometimes fellow brothers and sisters get a position in the church and instead of other members praying for their position that the church may be edified and others be reached for the Gospel they murmur and say within themselves if I had that position I would do a better job etc.

Crypto

Nov 14, 2009
Bitterness is compared to drinking poison and expecting the other person to die... It's a spiritual cancer. I've struggled with it recently and it's good to remember when you're bitter you're really bitter against God, because He is the one who is in control of our circumstances.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Beautiful post alaska. I do though think the comparison made by others between Moses and a bible denying liberal pastor is an unfair one. I probably would have left the church quietly. My experience is that once liberalism has taken hold it is impossible to dislodge due to the carnal nature of politics in the church...they win that game barring a Divine intervention. Glad you are coming back to HIM.