Daniel 8 quick rundown.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
This post is best understood together with Daniel 2 and Daniel 7. feel free to read my posts on these chapters.

In Daniel 8 we see another vision.

Dan 8:1 In the third year of the reign of king Belshazzar a vision appeared unto me, even unto me Daniel, after that which appeared unto me at the first.

Notice the words: " after that which appeared unto me at the first." The indication is that this vision came after the last one in Daniel 7 and is related in some way.

Dan 8:2 And I saw in a vision; and it came to pass, when I saw, that I was at Shushan in the palace, which is in the province of Elam; and I saw in a vision, and I was by the river of Ulai.

The vision takes place in Shushan in the province of Elam which is connected to the Medes and Persians. We know this because the first verse gave us the time this took place and history fills the gaps.

So Daniel has a vision that is connected with the Medes and Persians. remember the last vision started with Babylon which was where Daniel was. now in vision he is with the Medes and Persians.

Dan 8:3 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last.

notice the description of this Ram. notice that one horn was higher than the other. this fits with the bear in chapter 7 who had one side higher than the other. however this is not a guess. Daniel records this fact.

Dan 8:20 The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.

So we know that the Ram is the Medes and Persians. now let's look at the next beast.

Dan 8:5 And as I was considering, behold, an he goat came from the west on the face of the whole earth, and touched not the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes.

Here this great Horn is Alexander the Great who led the Kingdom of Greece. we learned this form Daniel 2 and 7. but here Daniel even names this fact again.

Dan 8:21 And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king.

so far this prophecy is following precisely the same patter and Daniel 2 and 7. the only reason Babylon is not mentioned is because of the time of the vision which is in the rule of the Medes and Persians. Just as when Daniel was in Babylon the vision started from Babylon.

Notice some descriptions of the Goat.

Dan 8:8 Therefore the he goat waxed very great: and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and for it came up four notable ones toward the four winds of heaven.

Again just like in Daniel 7 where the Leopards had 4 heads so now after the great horn breaks 4 horns take its place. These as mentioned in chapter 7 are the four generals Alexander the Great.

what comes next?

Dan 8:9 And out of one of them came forth a little horn, which waxed exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the pleasant land.

now a little horn, this can be confusing to some because in Daniel 7 the "little horn" came out of another beast, This beast was identified as Rome. The little horn in chapter 7 was the Papacy of Papal Rome.

If we are to follow the same pattern given in Daniel 2,7 and 8 so far this little horn has to be Rome. This little horn represents the two phases of Rome both Pagan and Papal. Just like in Daniel 2 where the iron in the legs still exists in the feet but different now.

Dan 8:24 And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.

Rome destroyed the holy people in 70 ad.

Dan 8:25 And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

Here the Prince of princes is none other than Jesus Christ and him crucified, this again happened under the rule of Rome.

I am not going to go into more detail being that we have seen from chapter 2 and 7 that this is vision is following the same pattern as did the last two visions.

after this point The angel says.

Dan 8:14 And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

This is a time prophecy in which we will find is related to the Papal power to some degree.

Dan 8:26 And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut thou up the vision; for it shall be for many days.

not much interpretation is given of this prophecy but look at Daniels reaction.

Dan 8:27 And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king's business; and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.

Daneil is perplexed because he does not understand, what does he not understand? the thing that stands our most is the time prophecy being the no real interpretation or explanation is given. In chapter 9 we will see that it is indeed the time prophecy that has caused Daniel to worry.

so quick breakdown.

Dan 2/Dan 7/Dan 8

head of Gold/Lion/
arms and chest of silver/bear/Ram
thighs of brass/leopard/Goat
Legs of Iron/terrible best Pagan Rome/little horn part 1 Rome pagan
feet Iron & clay/Little horn Papal Rome/little horn part 2 Rome Papal

You may be wondering why in Daniel chapter 7 Pagan and Papal Rome are totally different. while in chapter 8 they are both referred to by little horn. This is because they are related to each other. Papal Rome is the leftover of Pagan Rome. Just as in chapter two the Iron was in both the legs and the Feet. They are directly related.

I will go into what the 2300 days mean in a later study. for now I will focus on following the beast, and later show how this 2300 days relates to them. but for now just a quick connection.

Dan 2/Dan7/Dan 8

Stone smashes image/Judgment in heaven/2300 days

These are all related and speak of the same event.

Next we will leave Daniel for a while and look at Revelation concerning these beasts.

Last edited:
L

Laodicea

The 2300 days prophecy was not explained in Daniel 8

zone

Jun 13, 2010
This post is best understood together with Daniel 2 and Daniel 7. feel free to read my posts on these chapters.

In Daniel 8 we see another vision.

Dan 8:1 In the third year of the reign of king Belshazzar a vision appeared unto me, even unto me Daniel, after that which appeared unto me at the first.

Notice the words: " after that which appeared unto me at the first." The indication is that this vision came after the last one in Daniel 7 and is related in some way.

Dan 8:2 And I saw in a vision; and it came to pass, when I saw, that I was at Shushan in the palace, which is in the province of Elam; and I saw in a vision, and I was by the river of Ulai.

The vision takes place in Shushan in the province of Elam which is connected to the Medes and Persians. We know this because the first verse gave us the time this took place and history fills the gaps.

So Daniel has a vision that is connected with the Medes and Persians. remember the last vision started with Babylon which was where Daniel was. now in vision he is with the Medes and Persians.

Dan 8:3 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last.

notice the description of this Ram. notice that one horn was higher than the other. this fits with the bear in chapter 7 who had one side higher than the other. however this is not a guess. Daniel records this fact.

Dan 8:20 The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.

So we know that the Ram is the Medes and Persians. now let's look at the next beast.

Dan 8:5 And as I was considering, behold, an he goat came from the west on the face of the whole earth, and touched not the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes.

Here this great Horn is Alexander the Great who led the Kingdom of Greece. we learned this form Daniel 2 and 7. but here Daniel even names this fact again.

Dan 8:21 And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king.

so far this prophecy is following precisely the same patter and Daniel 2 and 7. the only reason Babylon is not mentioned is because of the time of the vision which is in the rule of the Medes and Persians. Just as when Daniel was in Babylon the vision started from Babylon.

Notice some descriptions of the Goat.

Dan 8:8 Therefore the he goat waxed very great: and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and for it came up four notable ones toward the four winds of heaven.

Again just like in Daniel 7 where the Leopards had 4 heads so now after the great horn breaks 4 horns take its place. These as mentioned in chapter 7 are the four generals Alexander the Great.

what comes next?

Dan 8:9 And out of one of them came forth a little horn, which waxed exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the pleasant land.

YAY!
i'm with ya so far:).....^

now a little horn, this can be confusing to some because in Daniel 7 the "little horn" came out of another beast, This beast was identified as Rome. The little horn in chapter 7 was the Papacy of Papal Rome.
:(

how do we make the toes Papal Rome when Papal Rome came after the Stone which landed on the feet and toppled the image?

L

Laodicea

The 2300 days prophecy was not explained in Daniel 8
Daniel 9:23-24 KJV
(23) At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.
(24) Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

As there was no vision given in Daniel 9 then the words consider the vision is referring to an earlier vision not explained. The vision of the 2300 days were not explained in Daniel 8 and since Daniel 9 is about time then the vision referred to is the vision of the 2300 days.

The word determined in verse 24 means cut off, the 70 weeks were cut off from something, the 2300 days. The 70 weeks are a part of the 2300 days.