Dark sayings in the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

immortal

Hello my friends.

This effort of mine is a work in progress, so I welcome constructive criticism of my delivery/content.

I'm here to show fellow Christians some of the hidden meanings from the Bible. These are referred to as "dark sayings" in Proverbs 1:6 and Psalms 78:2. Dark Sayings, are basically metaphorical words and terms we use in our everyday language/communication that come from ancient stories. These sayings have meanings beyond their literal interpretation. As an example, if I tell you that I'd like to go out and "shoot the bull" with you, I'm not Literally talking about shooting a bull with a gun. That dark saying means that I want to go out and have a conversation with you.

For this post I will elaborate on the story of Jacob and Esau found in Genesis 25-27
Do you recall the story of Esau and Jacob? These twin brothers are often described as complete opposites. Esau would grow up to be a skilled hunter, and Jacob would mend their home.
When Esau was first born, he was "Red" all over. This is why his name was changed to "Edom" (which translates as "red, ruddy" from the Hebrew). Then his brother Grabbed His Heal, and for this reason, he was called Ya'akov (Jacob). Ya'akov, translates from the Hebrew to mean "heal grabber."

Gen 25:29 Then we read that Esau was faint and in desperate need of food, for which Jacob offered his red pottage in exchange for Esau's birthright. Most people will agree, Esau was taken advantage of by this exchange.
A little bit later on we read of how when Isaac was ready to give Esau the blessing/birthright, he sent Esau off to hunt, and during this time Jacob would trick his father, Isaac, into giving him the blessing/birthright. How did Jacob do this? Gen 27:8 Rebekah helped convinced him he should do it by preparing two goats. Jacob would also dress up in unfamiliar clothes, and he would apply fur of a sort to his arms/neck to Deceive Isaac.

27:36 Then we read when Esau returns and finds out the blessing was given to Jacob, he exclaims that Jacob has *supplanted me twice. (*= this word is translated from a Hebrew word which means "Jacobed" [KJV annotated by E.W. Bullinger]) One of the most common derivations of Jacob can be found in the name "Jack".

Now, we have a fresh context to understand where we get the term, "my belongings have been JACKED!"
Or, when someone is attempting to take your car, you're being Car-Jacked. This is why planes are Hi-Jacked.

***Now, hold that thought for a moment...***

When Jacob would tend to the fields and plow with the large animals, he had to place a device around their neck in order to manipulate them into behaving as desired. He had to put a YOKE on the beast to trick them into plowing. In other words, he had to put a JOKE on them. This is why when someone is playing a JOKE on you, you will even ask them, "Are you Pulling My Leg?" What kind of dark-saying is that? Why would they be pulling your leg? The answer is because they are exhibiting the motif of Ya'akov, Jacob, the heal grabber, the trickster, the joker, the deceiver.

So, in Gen 27:36 Esau tells us Jacob made off with the birthright/blessing by jacking it. To draw another illustration into our metaphorical phrases, this could also be seen as the top prize/treasure/blessing. Among other blessings, this birthright also contained a double portion of inheritance/wealth. This is symbolic of the top prize that could be won or achieved.
For this reason, we now have an appropriate context to understand why we Always wants to win the JACKPOT in a contest. Jack's Pottage from Gen 25:29 rewarded him the birthright.

[There are even more ways to expound upon the name of "Jack," but this is all I am willing to do for the moment.]

If you enjoyed this, I have Lots more.

Thank You