Dating a Mormon..please help!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

katydid19

So my boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year and I really think that he will be the one for me.
He is my first true love and friend. Before we dated, he had mentioned that he was a Christian and we discussed his beliefs very much in detail. However, he did not tell me until a few months ago that his family is part of the LDS church. They do not go to church anymore, and have kind of separated from it.
My boyfriend still feels connected to the church because he was baptized in Mormon faith. He believes that the Bible is over the Book of Mormon, which is a start, but he still believes that an angel of God came to Joseph Smith and that the Book of Mormon is God inspired.
He believes that you get to heaven through the blood of Jesus Christ, which is also a start, but thinks that Mormons and Christians have the same God-- He believes that Mormons are Christians..How can I get him to understand that the Bible is the only divinely inspired book by God? Whenever I try to bring it up he gets very defensive..and I don't want to upset him..please help!!!'

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
So my boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year and I really think that he will be the one for me.
He is my first true love and friend. Before we dated, he had mentioned that he was a Christian and we discussed his beliefs very much in detail. However, he did not tell me until a few months ago that his family is part of the LDS church. They do not go to church anymore, and have kind of separated from it.
My boyfriend still feels connected to the church because he was baptized in Mormon faith. He believes that the Bible is over the Book of Mormon, which is a start, but he still believes that an angel of God came to Joseph Smith and that the Book of Mormon is God inspired.
He believes that you get to heaven through the blood of Jesus Christ, which is also a start, but thinks that Mormons and Christians have the same God-- He believes that Mormons are Christians..How can I get him to understand that the Bible is the only divinely inspired book by God? Whenever I try to bring it up he gets very defensive..and I don't want to upset him..please help!!!'
Will you be his first and only wife or part of his harem? Seriously, I would ask this question.

U

Ugly

You can't. You can't force people to change their beliefs just to date or marry them. What you're now attempting is 'missionary dating', even if you didn't start out that way. Missionary dating almost never works because it places changing a person to make them suitable for you, rather than accepting a person. And most change that Might occur (if it happens at all) will be insincere and only for the sake of saving the relationship, not a genuine change in beliefs.
While it's not my place to judge, i would even go as far as assuming this person is not even saved. He is still clinging to Mormonism and throwing in a few 'good' beliefs doesn't change who he is at the core of his beliefs or determine with any reasonable guess, his salvation. His very salvation is in question and a persons heart in this situation can only be known by God. You will never Truly know where he stands with God long as he continues straddling the fence. He was 'saved' into the Mormon faith, which means not truly saved at all.
And the fact that he is so defensive indicates an attitude that he has no desire or interest to change what he believes. In my opinion, he is still a Mormon at heart and beliefs and even in attitude, regardless of whether he denies this or not. As a result, i don't see God condoning this relationship. Now is the time to make decisions to test your faith. Are you willing to compromise to stay with a man who clearly doesn't want to change? And even if he did, his sincerity would be in question and whose very salvation is even strongly in question. Or do you want to hold out for the right kind of man? Because keep in mind, if you continue on with this man.. marry one day, he will be the spiritual head of yours, and your childrens, home. Teaching about Joseph Smith and plates from angels and the book of Mormon. And you will be subject to letting him lead because you will have made a conscious effort to place him in that position in your life and the life of your children. Are you prepared to live with that? And to answer to God for that in your and your childrens lives one day?
It's not a good feeling, i know. Having to make that choice. And that you genuinely believed he was a true Christian from the start probably makes it harder than most other situations of dating a non-believer. So i sympathize with you. But unfortunately doing right is often the hard road. And now is when you have to choose to do right, and the hard road, or wrong and the easy road.
Please give it some thought and don't dismiss these things because of emotions or your own wants. Consider your future and your walk with God as well.

May 9, 2012
Simona...that only depends on the individual church. Some still do.

Sep 10, 2013
John 1,18: No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

If I am not mistaken, that Joseph Smith claimed that God the Father Himself appeared to him.

Last edited:

BIBLECOMPARER

Jan 8, 2012
Katydid19 I am really sorry your going through such a terrible situation. I pray you just take him down from the pedestal and put God first and replace him with God on your pedestal. Whatever is on the pedestal of your life is first in your heart, mind and becomes your only focus and therefore your master. May God be your one and only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxv0a5nXzY

B

Brighthouse

Sisterkatydid19. A few years ago we had this happen in our Church,our sister was like you,a true believer, while the one she loved was a lukewarm Christian. She loved the Lord with all of her heart,as you do sis! My pastor took her to the back of the church where the children play,there was a large hill, many of the children would ride there bikes over,the Pastor just stood near the top,and told her to get to the top just ahead of him,he asked her to pull him up to where she is.

So she pulled, and pulled but could not bring my pastor to the top,the pastor said now just give me you hand,as she did, with very little effort he pulled her down where he was.He said" A bird could marry a fish, but where would they live together?

If you marry him he will pull you down to where he is at,and you will become very sad indeed. He said of course you must decide,I cannot, nor will, tell you what to do,but do take care upon what you do,for by what you do,you shall reap.( gal 6:7-9) I shall not tell you the result, because sister that would in no way be fair to you!

I am just giving you something to consider is all. I will tell you this, things worked out very well for our sister though! What are we willing to give for our faith? How much indeed do we value it? There does come a time in all of our lives sis,when the answer waits for our response. Blessing sis!

Sep 10, 2013
Sisterkatydid19. A few years ago we had this happen in our Church,our sister was like you,a true believer, while the one she loved was a lukewarm Christian. She loved the Lord with all of her heart,as you do sis! My pastor took her to the back of the church where the children play,there was a large hill, many of the children would ride there bikes over,the Pastor just stood near the top,and told her to get to the top just ahead of him,he asked her to pull him up to where she is.

So she pulled, and pulled but could not bring my pastor to the top,the pastor said now just give me you hand,as she did, with very little effort he pulled her down where he was.He said" A bird could marry a fish, but where would they live together?
I would have pulled him by the ears or by the hair :)).

J

jael

Dear One. Your heart is tender to him but what about towards Jesus? Mormons do NOT consider Jesus to be Deity-equal to the Father and Holy Spirit. I urge you to do research on that religion--separate from asking your boyfriend questions. Consider also that your children would be brought up with a mixture in their faith. You would be dealing with his family and their influence. And what does --"kind of separated from the Mormon church," very exactly mean??? Mormons ADD to the Word of God-HIS book---HIS Bible. Oh... and you don't want to upset him NOW????? Before marriage???? --Then what will things be like if you were to marry???? YOU can not save him--he is not saved, since he is believing a false "gospel." Just because someone involves the Blood of Jesus as part of their 'mixture," of believing, does NOT make that belief a true saving faith, doctrine, or religion. Remember, you asked for guidance here at this site. There have been many warnings given. I will add and say FLEE NOW. I see your relationship as a well laid trap from the enemy, who has played on your emotions, inexperience, and youth. My heart grieves for yours. I will pray. Jael

kingerik

Sep 25, 2013
You can't. You can't force people to change their beliefs just to date or marry them. What you're now attempting is 'missionary dating', even if you didn't start out that way. Missionary dating almost never works because it places changing a person to make them suitable for you, rather than accepting a person. And most change that Might occur (if it happens at all) will be insincere and only for the sake of saving the relationship, not a genuine change in beliefs.
While it's not my place to judge, i would even go as far as assuming this person is not even saved. He is still clinging to Mormonism and throwing in a few 'good' beliefs doesn't change who he is at the core of his beliefs or determine with any reasonable guess, his salvation. His very salvation is in question and a persons heart in this situation can only be known by God. You will never Truly know where he stands with God long as he continues straddling the fence. He was 'saved' into the Mormon faith, which means not truly saved at all.
And the fact that he is so defensive indicates an attitude that he has no desire or interest to change what he believes. In my opinion, he is still a Mormon at heart and beliefs and even in attitude, regardless of whether he denies this or not. As a result, i don't see God condoning this relationship. Now is the time to make decisions to test your faith. Are you willing to compromise to stay with a man who clearly doesn't want to change? And even if he did, his sincerity would be in question and whose very salvation is even strongly in question. Or do you want to hold out for the right kind of man? Because keep in mind, if you continue on with this man.. marry one day, he will be the spiritual head of yours, and your childrens, home. Teaching about Joseph Smith and plates from angels and the book of Mormon. And you will be subject to letting him lead because you will have made a conscious effort to place him in that position in your life and the life of your children. Are you prepared to live with that? And to answer to God for that in your and your childrens lives one day?
It's not a good feeling, i know. Having to make that choice. And that you genuinely believed he was a true Christian from the start probably makes it harder than most other situations of dating a non-believer. So i sympathize with you. But unfortunately doing right is often the hard road. And now is when you have to choose to do right, and the hard road, or wrong and the easy road.
Please give it some thought and don't dismiss these things because of emotions or your own wants. Consider your future and your walk with God as well.
^This......