Dating sites??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mc333

Hi
Just wondering if dating sites are okay...
Like Tinder and Hot or Not... etc

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
I personally don't believe they are for a few reasons:

1. We are called to be set apart and different from the world and to trust God completely with our lives. Looking for love online is the norm.
2. Although there are supposedly 'Christian' dating sites, it has been proven that many on there are not believers at all and there is even an instance when a man was date raping the women he met on a Christian dating site.
3. Someone online can be anyone, say anything, and completely mislead people. Not a safe place at all.

Those are my thoughts on it. :)

J

JustAnotherUser

If it's decent and not promoting sexual talk/options or advertisements then I'd say it's okay. Use your best judgments as to whether that site can be good for finding moral people or not. Preferably since you're asking on a Christian site, reputable Christian dating sites would probably be best suited for those who think it's okay to online date. It happens here apparently, so... You probably wouldn't get as many cat fishing profiles or creeps if you go on sites that have you pay for access since there's more of a chance that can happen on free dating sites. I'm sure you've been given the talk as to what risk factors one can have if they decide to online date.

If you want my personal opinion, I don't think a sixteen year old should be concerned enough to set up dating profiles as of right now. Enjoy your life outdoors and maybe a girl will come along. Sorry if I took your question wrong and you're not intending to do so and just asking out of curiosity. In the end you do what you want.

C

CheekyGeeky

2. Although there are supposedly 'Christian' dating sites, it has been proven that many on there are not believers at all and there is even an instance when a man was date raping the women he met on a Christian dating site.
3. Someone online can be anyone, say anything, and completely mislead people. Not a safe place at all.
I'm not for or against online dating sites, but these two points you made can happen when you meet people offline (in church, etc.) as well.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Hi
Just wondering if dating sites are okay...
Like Tinder and Hot or Not... etc

mc333, umm, I don't think I would want to go to a site called Hot or Not!!
:p ​Besides you're much too young to go on a dating site anyway. Enjoy being a kid!! Wait to date until you're at least in your twenties. :)

C

Callmebadger

The suggestion to wait seems to be a recurring theme in threads like these. But what many adults don't seem to understand is that we get lonely just like anyone else, and the natural tendency is to try and find that person that'll stick by your side when friends won't. Not too many years ago, if I recall correctly, the average age to get married was about 16 or 17. I always thought it was a tad unfair that now all of a sudden we're expected to wait until our early to mid twenties to get on with the rest of our lives. It's not like that innate desire just goes away all of a sudden because it's deplorable by society's standards.

Regardless of how unfair or much it sucks though, until someone can feed themselves and pay the bills, there really isn't much point in dating because until you reach that point you're always going to need the approval of whomever is over you, presumably your parents. And until you live in the same house as someone, you really don't even know the other half of them... the one that they don't let you see.

U

Ugly

The suggestion to wait seems to be a recurring theme in threads like these. But what many adults don't seem to understand is that we get lonely just like anyone else, and the natural tendency is to try and find that person that'll stick by your side when friends won't. Not too many years ago, if I recall correctly, the average age to get married was about 16 or 17. I always thought it was a tad unfair that now all of a sudden we're expected to wait until our early to mid twenties to get on with the rest of our lives. It's not like that innate desire just goes away all of a sudden because it's deplorable by society's standards.

Regardless of how unfair or much it sucks though, until someone can feed themselves and pay the bills, there really isn't much point in dating because until you reach that point you're always going to need the approval of whomever is over you, presumably your parents. And until you live in the same house as someone, you really don't even know the other half of them... the one that they don't let you see.
We don't understand? Is this because we were never lonely teenagers ourselves? Oh. Wait. We have been there, done that, before you were born. Our suggestion to wait isn't out of ignorance or lack of experience or understanding. It's because we've already made those mistakes. We already know how fruitless and often painful relationships can be at that age.

Not many years ago 16 was the average age for marriage? Please show your proof for this. I'm 38 and don't remember this. 18 is the legal age for marriage. You can be younger, but that is with parental consent. So it's not all of a sudden. And even IF that were true that would have no affect on your expectations as you're raised in a time when 18 is the average youngest norm. If 18 is the norm for someone 38 then you aren't being treated unfairly in any manner. 18 was the norm before your parents were born. So this unfair change you speak of is not a real belief at all.
Fact is few teens are mature enough for marriage. And not a lot of adults either. Just because in earlier times people pushed marriage over wisdom didn't make it right. People now are trying to teach smarter choices, not worldly cultural demands. Fair and wise don't always go hand in hand. Though, in your case your argument for unfair is unsupported.