Daughter/mother issues can I please get some advice?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

bomba

Hi!

I'm a 40yr old female, and I am living with my parent's due to the fact that I have health issues. My health issues are a mental problem, which I would rather not go into detail. Anyways I've had these issues since I was a child, and my mom has always held me back from being able to having a normal childhood life. She always would say it's because of these issues, I have one brother, and one sister. I'm the youngest, and she had always treated me different, instead of encouraging me she would always hold me back. Saying it was because of my health issues, I can remember as I was growing up that she would talk to my brother, and sister with respect. Yet her attitude toward me has never changed, if I had the capability to go out into the world, and work, and live on my own I wouldn't hesitate to go out on my own. My self esteem, and confidence are so low, which I feel it all has to do with the way she always made me feel. As well as still does, which comes to the point where I need help, and advice. You see I wrote her a letter a while back letting her know exactly how she always made me feel. I told her that I feel like if she had encouraged me, and said I was, and always would be capable of anything I may have been able to accomplish something in life for myself. Me, and my mom don't see eye to eye, to this day because she's always still trying to keep me from doing what I want to do in life. I know I'm not able to work, something I would give anything to be able to do instead of being at home everyday all day long. I wanted to at least go, and volunteer, but as she has always, and still says. I can't because of my condition, it seems like we are always at each others throats most of the times. Due to the fact that she always wants to be so controlling, and because I can't drive she always wins. We live in a small town so it's not like I can take a taxi, bus, or train to accomplish my wanting, and feeling the need to volunteer. God has given me many miracles in the past, and I know the first commandment in the bible is to honor your parent's, but I feel like God comes first above all things. Yet I feel like I'm dishonoring God, because I feel like I'm only existing instead of living. Which I know is a sin, especially because of all the miracles he has giving me in my life. So I've told my mom that it's because of her holding me back that I feel this way, and that she's to blame. I'm know that that's not honoring thy mother. Although could would there be a line for such an issue as this?

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
Do you attend a church? Maybe some women from the church can provide rides for you, or find places to volunteer near where you live and then you can walk.

It is easy to listen to those we love and accept what they say, but remember that God says you are fearfully and wonderfully made. So long as your health issues do not result in harm to yourself and others, you're an adult. Find ways to do some volunteering in your community.

The Bible says to honor our father and mother, but that word does not mean obey in all things. It means to set a good example when you are in public, not insulting or badmouthing them to others. So the fear that going out and volunteering or doing God's will for your life is disobedient and thus dishonoring your mom is not true. :) Though it may be going against her wishes, remember that God's will and plan for your life usurps that of your parents.

I will end with this. Sunday, my mom and I went to lunch and there was a young man with Down Syndrome working there, bussing tables and ensuring that we were doing all right throughout our meal. He was very capable and polite and did his job wonderfully. Take hold of God's hand and His promises for your life and run full tilt to do His will. :) Nothing is impossible for God.

U

Ugly

God gives us guides and even rules to live by to help guide us. But the ultimate guide is to honor God above all others. And if God gives a command, but following that command causes you to not honor God, then honoring God directly takes precedent over the other commands. Sometimes the intention can be more important than the action. You intend well and to follow God, so God will recognize that if you have to not honor your mother in order to follow His greater call.

S

Snowflake85

Maybe you need to get into an assisted living arrangement. What they would do is that you live on your own, however if you need nurses or a doctor they will get one to you in a timely manner. It will cost money, but you will have a safety if anything ever did happen. I hope you and your mom can see eye to eye again. It could be that part of her resents you for being the way you are and needing some help taking care of yourself. Many grocery stores would love having someone like you bring carts back inside. Good luck

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Could it be that your mom is trying to shield you from failure and dissapointment? Not that you would fail, but she fears you may. Maybe she failed at some point, and wants to "save" you from that fate. Like Homer Simpson says, trying is the first step towards failure :). She cold be very well be trying to keep you from failure by not even letting you try. It's a nice intention, but the downside is that trying is also the first step towards success. If you're not allowed to try, if you're not allowed to succeed or fail, you end up - well, where you are.

How do your brother and sister treat you, do they see what mom does to you?

A

Ariel82

what is it that you want to do that you think your mom is preventing you from doing?

what is your mental conditions and how would it keep you from doing it?

I would stop blaming your mom and find other solutions.

if your mom is refusing to be your "ride" to where ever you want to go it might be because she is tired and not just being a meany or something.

if you want to volunteer there are some things you can do from home.