Death and the Holidays

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

A close high school friend's mom just died and I was contemplating the subject of death and the holidays.

Does anyone have any scripture, songs, ideas with coping with death, grief and holidays without loved ones?

J

J-Kay-2

Ariel, I am sorry for the loss of your friends Mother. Your question
is one everyone would like to have an answer to. You see, there is nothing
we can say or do to make the grief easier. However, you do have the
answer right inside you. Be with your friend and let her tell you how
she is feeling through this. Remember not all people grieve the same.
Some take death of a loved one very hard. Others are able to accept it
with minimal amount of grief. My point is..... Just be there with and
for her.
If her Mother was a Christian I am sure you are able to relay that fact
to her and it will help. But, if she is taking the loss hard, she will agree
but not necessarily feel better immediately.

When I lost my daughter, grandson, mother and father, I think what
stood out most to help me was just knowing people cared enough to
call me, or send a card, or go to the funeral home. The most I needed
was after they were buried and I needed someone to listen to me on
my bad days ....the days I was grieving and needed to talk.
God bless you, and I pray the Holy Spirit will give you the right
way to minister to your friend.

Dec 26, 2012
John 11:23-26 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.” Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

1 Corinthians 15:54-57When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Philippians 3:20-21But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

1 Peter 1:3-5Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Revelation 21:1-4Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

John 10:27-29“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.” (Jesus speaking)
Romans 8:38-39
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 14:8
For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s.

Romans 8:16-17The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

2 Corinthians 5:6-8
So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18
For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Dec 26, 2012
[video=youtube;3pQdCPlxP50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pQdCPlxP50[/video]

Apr 24, 2013
Ariel, I am sorry for the loss of your friends Mother. Your question
is one everyone would like to have an answer to. You see, there is nothing
we can say or do to make the grief easier. However, you do have the
answer right inside you. Be with your friend and let her tell you how
she is feeling through this. Remember not all people grieve the same.
Some take death of a loved one very hard. Others are able to accept it
with minimal amount of grief. My point is..... Just be there with and
for her.
If her Mother was a Christian I am sure you are able to relay that fact
to her and it will help. But, if she is taking the loss hard, she will agree
but not necessarily feel better immediately.

When I lost my daughter, grandson, mother and father, I think what
stood out most to help me was just knowing people cared enough to
call me, or send a card, or go to the funeral home. The most I needed
was after they were buried and I needed someone to listen to me on
my bad days ....the days I was grieving and needed to talk.
God bless you, and I pray the Holy Spirit will give you the right
way to minister to your friend.
totally agree with you, because the best remedy is the time,
Because i lost my Grandpa a 1 month ago, so i'm healing me yet, I miss him and just the time and God can help all us of my family and me, i was really close to him !

Dec 26, 2012
[video=youtube;xjZYLmi61oo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjZYLmi61oo[/video]

J

J-Kay-2

totally agree with you, because the best remedy is the time,
Because i lost my Grandpa a 1 month ago, so i'm healing me yet, I miss him and just the time and God can help all us of my family and me, i was really close to him !

I think it is remarkable you are so considerate of others who have
lost loved ones. The Word tells us, we go through these things so
we may help those who will also go through same. Not all are deaths,
but many things life hands us. God bless you ~