Death: Heaven and Hell

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

emily14

Today my dad was talking to his sister about when his dad passed away. He witnessed his fathers death when he was 9. I was thinking, wondering, if I could handle all of that trying to imagine the immense pain I would go through watching my father die and there be nothing I could do. My grandfather was a catholic. I was thinking, could god be so cruel as to not let me ever see my grandfather (and grandmother to add) ever ? They were strong Catholics and did not even hear of another religion out side of that. They were so strong in what they believed in and they thought they knew for sure that they were going to heaven. Is it true that they're burning in hell eternally? And if they are, what if I'm wrong about being a baptist Christian? I'm so scared about death. I woke up and couldn't get it off my mind. How can I be positive that if I give my life to god that I will end up in a happy place in the afterlife? I'm so scared. I don't know what to do. I wish that I would never been brought on this earth to even think these thoughts that have me so worried.

To sum it up
1. Does god allow Catholics and other close religions into heaven?
2. How can I be sure I'll get to heaven?
3. I'm so scared and I'm wondering why I was even brought up on this earth.
- also my parents are strong believers. but they get so worried when I talk to them about stuff like this so I tend not to.

please help.

Nov 30, 2012
To sum it up
1. Does god allow Catholics and other close religions into heaven?
2. How can I be sure I'll get to heaven?
3. I'm so scared and I'm wondering why I was even brought up on this earth.
- also my parents are strong believers. but they get so worried when I talk to them about stuff like this so I tend not to.

1. Yes, Catholics are Christians. Yes, Orthodox are Christians. I believe no, because everything that God had said shows the answer as no, but truly only God knows.
2. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, submit and obey Him.
3. It is natural to question. God does not wish you to not question, but He wishes you to test all things against Him.

E

emily14

I appreciate your answer, but I'm afraid that still doesn't give me complete peace. I know I'm not the one who should be giving advice because I'm having trouble with my faith right now. But what if you live a life believing there is no heaven or hell and then you figure out once you die that there is hell and you'll burn eternally? I would rather live a life simply being a Christian and believing and figuring out there is a heaven than live a life not believing and figuring out there is a hell..

Matthew4Jesus

May 7, 2011
Hi there Emily, first of all I would like to say that I do understand exactly how you're feeling right, I used to - and still ocassionally - grapple with the thought of Hell. It's very difficult when we think of our loved ones, and their eternal fate, because of course we love them and care about what's going to happen to them. So you have my empathy on this heartfelt question.

If I may, I'd like to guide you step by step, in the way you can approach these questions, and approach the whole topic of Heaven and Hell.

First of let's look at Psalm 7:11: "God is a righteous judge, and a God who feels indignation every day." Looking at this verse we can see that God is always fair, and that he feels indignation every day because of the many sins against him. God is holy, and this means any sin is an abomination to him. So the fact that we're here and alive, shows just how much he loves us.

Bearing this in mind, it may be easy to raise the question: If God loves us, why does he punish unblievers in Hell? It may seem that it's a cruel fate that a loving God would be incapable of right?

Let's take a look at this scripture in Isaiah: "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." --Isaiah 55:9

If you think about what God is saying in this scripture above, it brings the realisation that sometimes we forget that God is the creator of everything, so of course he will have a higher sense of Justice, than us, also other things such as a higher sense of Love. So if we say "A loving God wouldn't send someone to hell for eternity", we bring God down to our level of Justice and Intellect and of course, looking at Isiah, we can see that his ways are to much greater than our own, so his decisions will always be the right ones.

It's also easy to get so caught up in the negativity of Hell we miss just how much God loves us! Let's have a look at some more scripture and see what we can learn about God's love for us.

In Psalm 7:11 we see that God is angry at us sinners every day! However, through his love, mercy and grace he sent his only son to die on the cross and bear the wrath of God which was meant to be for us. This is the sort of love unimaginable, isn't it so wonderful? Here's a very well known piece of scripture I am sure you are familiar with: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." --John 3:16

Here is another precious verse from the bible: "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”-- Galations 3:13

So we know that God hates sin and those who Sin... yet he did the above for us? Christ became a curse for us? That is what we should focus on when it comes to Hell. Just focus on the cross totally. Begin there.

As for finding peace and comfort, I pray to the Lord, and also read the bible, it's his word and his word is amazing! The word is required for the transformation of our lives and gives life! "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life"-- John 5:24

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come"-- 2 Corinthians 5:17

The above verse tells us that when we're save through Christ we become a new creation/creature! This is not instantaneous, however, God will not let you stray far from the right path. So seek him out, pray to him sincerely. Read his word as much as you can and he will fill you with the Holy Spirit. Don't worry too much, we cannot be perfect, and we certainly cannot fight sin by ourselves. We need God to do that, we need to have faith in him to help us, and give us strength. Here is another encouraging piece of scripture: "You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? [SUP]2 [/SUP]This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? [SUP]3 [/SUP]Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you nowbeing perfected by the flesh?"--Galation 3:1-3

What Paul is saying the scipture above is that, is foolish to try and become saved through human efforts (works), this is only possible through salvation, and it begins with the spirit! So focus on Jesus Christ and the rest will follow! To be saved focus on him and loving him.

With regards to your questions on catholics, it's not an easy questions to anwer, because everyone is different you see? I don't think catholicism is correct, however it's wrong to to condemn someone because of their denomination/church. Only Jesus can see into someone heart! Don't worry, find comfort in Jesus, he loves you, and cares about you, spend some time with him reading his word.

Finally, you have nothing to be afraid of! I hope you can see this from what have written here, I am sure it's a bit jumbled and confusing. It's great news that you are concerned about your own and others people's eternal fate, God know's you're worried and scared, throw your anxieties on to him, and he will help you. I really hope I have helped, if you have any other questions or need some things clarified feel free to PM me! I'll just drop off a beautiful verse at the bottom for you to read and think about! =D

"And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?” And he answered, “YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.”"-- Luke 10:25-27

Feb 16, 2014
I appreciate your answer, but I'm afraid that still doesn't give me complete peace. I know I'm not the one who should be giving advice because I'm having trouble with my faith right now. But what if you live a life believing there is no heaven or hell and then you figure out once you die that there is hell and you'll burn eternally? I would rather live a life simply being a Christian and believing and figuring out there is a heaven than live a life not believing and figuring out there is a hell..
Ah, Pascal's wager.

If you live a life believing in God and you're wrong, you lose nothing. There is no afterlife.
If you live a life as a nonbeliever and you're wrong, you lose everything. You burn in hell for all eternity.

Therefore, it's better to believe.

But there are numerous problems with Pascal's wager. The idea that living as a Christiand and being wrong means you lose nothing is false. If there isn't an afterlife, what you have to lose is time, money, and life experience. Furthermore, there are an infinite number of possible afterlifes with an infinite number of criteria to get into those afterlifes.

The reason I do not take Pascal's wager is because the odds of picking the correct afterlife are so slim, I will almost no doubt fail no matter what I pick. Therefore, I choose to base my beliefs on what can be observed. I personally don't believe there is an afterlife as there is no evidence of one existing. But it's not something I choose to believe. It's just the natural conclusion I have come to. I don'd dwell on the unknowable. Instead, I focus on the knowable. I doubt there's an afterlife and if there is one I will likely not get in or it will be open to pretty much everyone and I will get in. But having to pick a particular belief to get into the correct afterlife? The odds are far too stacked against me.

If you want a much better explanation, this video will be of help:

[video=youtube;fZpJ7yUPwdU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZpJ7yUPwdU[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZpJ7yUPwdU

Feb 16, 2014
I posted the video about Pascal's Wager because OP asked me a question. But my response to Matthew4Jesus, although true to my own feelings, isn't beneficial for helping OP recover from her fears of hell. If she would like me to give my own opinion, I'll gladly answer. But my goal is to help her get over her fear of hell the best I can considering our differing religious views. My last response, I believe, isn't beneficial in that regard.

(If you don't see the post, I asked for it to be deleted.)

NateDaGrimes

Jan 7, 2013
Just to answer 1. No, you can clearly and thoroughly look and compare the beliefs... I cannot label Catholics, mormons, ect as christians.