Definition of Marriage:What is it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MyLighthouse

I never really thought about my view on marriage until gay marriage was allowed. Honestly I don't get what the purpose of marriage is in the first place.

If marriage isn't about love, what is it about? Why do people do it? Then there's, well it's to be fruitful and multiply. But what of those who decide not to have children or can't have children for one reason or another? Then what can be said of the purpose of marriage? Then there's the answer, because God didn't want man to be alone. What of Paul and Jeremiah? Paul in fact encouraged singleness. I know the bible is clear on homosexuality being wrong, but the bible doesn't seem to be clear to me on why marriage is needed, especially today with such a large population. If marriage has no value or purpose, what makes immortal marriages so different? I'm really confused on the whole thing.

How do we as Christian really define Marriage?

Dec 18, 2013
One man and one woman become one flesh, marriage.

Matthew 19:4-6

[SUP]4 [/SUP]And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
[SUP]5 [/SUP]And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
[SUP]6 [/SUP]Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

T

Tintin

Marriage is but a shadow of what's to come. It points forward to a time when there will be a complete restoration of Creation in the New Heavens and New Earth, a time where Christ will live eternally with His Bride, the Church.

M

MyLighthouse

Marriage is but a shadow of what's to come. It points forward to a time when there will be a complete restoration of Creation in the New Heavens and New Earth, a time where Christ will live eternally with His Bride, the Church.
Cool! This a different answer than what I've been hearing and makes sense. Thank you :D

T

Tintin

Cool! This a different answer than what I've been hearing and makes sense. Thank you :D
You're welcome, sister. :) I'm glad I could help. Have a blessed weekend.

Dec 19, 2009
I never really thought about my view on marriage until gay marriage was allowed. Honestly I don't get what the purpose of marriage is in the first place.

If marriage isn't about love, what is it about? Why do people do it? Then there's, well it's to be fruitful and multiply. But what of those who decide not to have children or can't have children for one reason or another? Then what can be said of the purpose of marriage? Then there's the answer, because God didn't want man to be alone. What of Paul and Jeremiah? Paul in fact encouraged singleness. I know the bible is clear on homosexuality being wrong, but the bible doesn't seem to be clear to me on why marriage is needed, especially today with such a large population. If marriage has no value or purpose, what makes immortal marriages so different? I'm really confused on the whole thing.

How do we as Christian really define Marriage?
Off the top of my head, a man and woman agree never to be physically intimate with anyone but each other.