desire to be in a relationship

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

romans1212

Hey everyone! I was just looking for opinions about being single. Do you think if a person desires to be in a relationship and get marreid someday, then God will give them somebody? Or do you think it's possible for someone to desire that relationship and marriage, but end up being single for the rest of their lives? Someone once told me that God knows our desires, so if we desire to be in a relationship...he will give that to us. What do you guys think?

S

seeker7

1 Cor 7:8-9 is what you are referring to.

I know how you feel. I am suffering from loneliness. It is tore me away from God. It did what it is. IT separated me from God and made me lonely. The verses say God will provide so he will. Chapter 7 covers relationships very well.

V

vahn

The way God has shown me, is that if you desire to be married then he will provide you with a spouse. If you carry the fear of loneliness then that I believe that is a tactic of the enemy to make you feel hopeless. Perhaps God needs to work through you more before he sets a husband before you and the same goes for your future husband. In God's perfect time, he will bestow you with a beautiful relationship, one that is unimaginable.

N

notes_mae

First of all, the Lord does know the desires of our hearts. If there is a desire in your heart that lines up with the good will of the Father, then chances are that He placed those desires in your heart. He will be faithful to fulfill them. But we must remember this: Matthew 6:33 "
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." (NKJV) Do not spent this time the Lord has set aside for Himself and for you constantly dwelling on the things that you desire. First seek the Lord. THEN these things will be added to us. This time of singleness is a time for us to observe, desire, and seek to do the will of the Father. I Corinthians 7:34 " There is a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband." (NKJV). This time is for us to grow individually with the Lord. Make Him our sole source of comfort. Just to be with our God alone so that we may, "be holy both in body and in spirit," and care "about the things of the Lord." Observe Esther. She spent many months preparing to be presented to the King. Likewise, God has set aside this time to grow us into men and women of Christ, into the men and women He wants us to be. He is preparing us to be in marriage (if that is what He wills for us).

S

Stronghold

I also think that God sees our desires. I don't think He will always forfill them, because God know s what is best for our lifes. WE can long for things but sometimes things WE want are not always in HIS plans for us. ;)
But then, when we look back in life we will see that what God did was better for us and made us more happy :)

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Hey everyone! I was just looking for opinions about being single. Do you think if a person desires to be in a relationship and get marreid someday, then God will give them somebody? Or do you think it's possible for someone to desire that relationship and marriage, but end up being single for the rest of their lives? Someone once told me that God knows our desires, so if we desire to be in a relationship...he will give that to us. What do you guys think?

Maybe, yes, i dont know

D

DreaMtz123

King James Bible
psalms 37 4
Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

N

nutmeg88

Hey, it might help to know that this is something I think most single christians go through at some stage. If you dont have the 'gift of singlness' paul talks about, being single can be a struggle for everyone now and then. But belive me when I say it is better to be with no one, than the wrong person. I have time and time again stupidly fell into bad relationships, it's really not fun to say the least. God has been showing me that, he, has to be more that enough for me. But yes I'm sure he def has the right person for you, hang in there, God might seem to move slow in bringing about the 'desires of your heart' but his timing is perfect.

N

nutmeg88

** collective group hug**

Crypto

Nov 14, 2009
Psalm 37:4... Delight thyself also in the Lord and he will give thee the desires of thine heart.

The key phrase is Delight thyself in the Lord. If you're desire is to do God's will for your life, and you work towards fullfilling your purpose He has for you, He will give you the desire (such as a mate) and He will give it to you. I've found this to be true in alot of ways.

L

Lyndies

I believe that when we ask for His desires to become our desires and ask for Him to give us His heart, then (because we seeked Him first) God gives us those desires.

I have a really great story about this that I'll be putting in the "testimonies" thread soon. :]

Crypto

Nov 14, 2009
I believe that when we ask for His desires to become our desires and ask for Him to give us His heart, then (because we seeked Him first) God gives us those desires.

I have a really great story about this that I'll be putting in the "testimonies" thread soon. :]
Yep I agree, that's what I was trying to say in different words.

sweetnshy

Sep 10, 2003
I think if the desire is something that God put there and it goes along with His will, it will be fulfilled. However, I do think it's possible (even for a good Christian person) to desire marriage on their own and for whatever reason, it's not in God's will for that person to be married. I know some people who fit into that category. It doesn't really make sense to me that we can desire good, godly things, and yet not have those things in line with God's will--but it happens. Or at least it does with me...maybe I'm an oddball. :p

D

dalblessed

I totally know how you feel... but then again I try to consider GOD's will for my life, if GOD desires for you to have a relationship then it will surely come to past. I dont think that he would want us to be worrying about things that we have no control over, I've learnt that sometime God will withold or even withdraw the very things or persons whom we feel we can't do without from our lives just so that we'll draw closer to him and allow his glory to be revealed in us. So if you feel lonely because the enemy might persuade you sayong you have no one to love, comfort or take care of you REMIND YOURSELF that Jesus' love surpasses that of any relationship here on earth. Stay strong, talk to GOD he knows what you are going through ask him to reveal himself to you so that may be used according to his purpose and if at anytime you continue to feel impatient remeber this verse

For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. PSALM 84:11

NO GOOD thing will he withold from those who walk uprightly may GOD BLESS YOU!

C

ChristopherMichael

As you bring yourself in line with God, drawing closer to him, then you begin to want what he wants. At that point, your desires have sort of synced up, and you know if you really want or hunger for something, that he's probably either using that desire to develop you, or he's already got something or someone lined up for you.

Being in God's will is a win-win sort of thing.

M

mmm

I believe you must be fulfill with your relationship with God only. Marriage is not for make you the happiest human being in the world, but it is for make you be more like Christ... that means you should love the other more when he/she doesn't deserve to be loved (because he/she need more love in that certain point of life). To be able to do this you should be full of God, you should have a close relation with God to provide this kind of love (agape). I believe also that God has a mate for those that are seeking to get married. Is true that there are some people which can serve God better if they don't get married.
I personally know someone which wanted so bad to get married and God showed her in a dream how it would be her life: she would have been lonely even she was married, because he was involved in the ministry. The need of having someone close to her wouldn't be fulfilled by her husband. So she gave up praying for a husband. After that God showed her in her everyday life that He really had someone for her... and she refused!
I also realised that when I want something so desperately and my prayers are focused only on that thing, there are 2 ways:1) I don't get what I want; 2) I get what I want in a forced way but I am not happy with that thing, I feel bad about it. When my desire is not controling me anymore then either I realise I don't need that thing, either I get it. Anyway I think that any desire that come to control and dictate you how you should feel is something that can be an idol. God tells us how we should feel: we should rejoice, praise Him, be thankful, feel loved just as we are.
Bless you!

A

avdl

In singleness you you dedicate yourself to grow in the Lord. You learn the ways of our God, his purpose for your life and grow. I also desire to be in a relationship, but while search and wait for that person the Lord has for me, I will mature and grow in God, so I can offer that lucky gal my strength as a warrior of God!

P

panda_girl

this is just a really big topic, especially for christians, because unlike a bunch of other people out there, we don't want a relationship for the sake of having a relationship, we want a relationship with someone who wants to give all their heart to God like we do, because no other relationship will stand if it's not rooted in God.

anyway: i've read a few books... can't remember what they're called... but they've all pretty much said the same thing, you won't be ready for a relationship until you stop wanting one... and i thought about it, and it really does make sense. we look forward to that first love our entire lives, once someone finally gives us that attention, that... feeling we've been longing, we're gonna fall head over heels, but... it's like a kid with a new toy i suppose, you're so excited to have it that you just want to bring it everywhere with you and then, before you know it, you end up losing it or breaking it without even realizing what you had, you're heart's broken and you have no idea why...

God will bring you that special someone when He knows you're ready for them.