Different stages in the Christian life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

I have been thinking about this for a while as there seems to be various stages we go through in our walk with God.
It is almost like a child growing up.

Here are my experiences, maybe your's are different or maybe they are the same.

- The discovery that God is real and offers forgiveness and a relationship with Him. Oh the wonder, joy and also confusion as there is so much to learn and lots of contradictory information being thrown at you from all around. But you want to learn as much as you can.

- The desire to read the bible, prayer, and the feeling that you just want to tell everyone God is real.

- The realisation that not all Christians are nice people, such a shock and you start to pick up the 'christian lingo' and try to fit in with what you think a Christian should be like.

- The realisation that the world still continues to spin and life goes on around you despite knowing God and that awful things still happen.

- The realisation that you don't always feel close to God as you did at the beginning. So begins the journey of works in an effort to win back God's approval. You know like getting up an hour early to read the bible, going to all the church meetings, starting various bible studies etc. None of which is a bad thing by the way, but over time it can become a way of scoring browny points instead of building a relationship with God.

- Then the above becomes a habit which you feel you need to continue as if you don't then God will zap you or just give up on you.

- Then the feeling that there must be more to the Christian life than just hanging on in there until you go to heaven.

- Then gradually it starts to dawn on you that God really does want a relationship with you. That he likes you just the way you are, that he wants a relationship which entails more then just looking over your shoulder to see if you are reading the bible every day and going to every service.

- Suddenly a new appreciation for who God is, how little you are compared to the awesomeness of God but that He really is looking out for you and instead of waiting for you to slip up and zap you. He wants to walk with you on life's journey.

- You realise God considers you a friend.

- A new way of doing things starts. You don't read the bible because you have to, but because you want to its like drinking water on a dry hot day. You no longer prayer because it is what is expected of you. But you do it because you want to speak to your best friend.

- Doubts and fears still arise but now you know who really is on your side. You still do things wrong but know that God still loves you and you desire to keep short accounts with God and move forward.

- At times you may slip back into one of the previous stages but deep down you know now your real standing before Christ and there is always a desire to keep moving deeper and wanting more of Him. Oh and the realisation that prayer is more then just lots of words with amen at the end. There are so many different ways to prayer and also the realisation that God wants to communicate back to you if you shut up and give him half a chance! :)

God bless you in your walk with Him.

H

hattiebod

Thank you for this...but we know we can do nothing without him. No bible groups, no sessions in the church...flower arranging, youth groups or any other groups!! or being deemed 'skilled' or maybe 'gifted'. NO , we can say NO, it is in such freedom we can can write this... and give all freedom to His children. <><

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Wow... those stages all sound so fascinating.

I only have one stage where I kinda read my bible and stumble around doing stupid things.
:)

D

dyingeveryday

I don't believe that the stages you are describing are necessarily true for everyone.

Oct 31, 2011
I'll bet if we each kept a spiritual diary, we wouldn't be aware of a stage we were in as we live it. But thanks so much for making us think of it as stages. I think of it as growth.

Every one of us has aw hah! moments in our growth. I remember my first stage. it was "Flava (she was my guardian) is there a God?". She had no idea of God except there was one, and she said "He wants you to be good". I went down to be good by picking up a huge axe to cut kindling so you guys know what happened. Even then, I didn't think much of Flava or trust her much. I was so young I remember the steps to the woodshed being quite big. So I started searching and wondering. That was my first stage.