Dilemma of the Water Hooper Heretics on Baptism Saving

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Atwood

May 1, 2014
The Question is asked in Acts 16:

Sirs, what MUST-I-DO to be saved?

This question refers to the must-I-do.
You can be saved by doing the must-I-do and innumerable other nice things (which are unnecessary for salvation).

The question concerns salvation, not just getting a chance at it.
The answer is not, "Well boy-ee, You gots to square the hippopotamus & jump through all these hoops."

The answer comes back:

Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved.

The answer is not, believe on the Lord Jesus, then you get a shot at it if you maintain this or that after you believe or if you jump through some more hoops.

Imagine the problem of the hoop-jumpers.

The first hoop of the hoopists is the believe in Christ. OK, but you are still not saved after you do that for the hoopists. (hopists? you only get to hope at it?) Imagine their problem:

The sinful jerk trusts the Lord Jesus as Savior -- but how can the jerk trust Christ to save him when the jerk cannot have Christ save Him until he jumps through more hoops.
So jerk says, "I believe."
But jerk thinks, "I actually don't believe Christ is now going to save me, because I haven't yet jumped through the rest of the hoops."

So jerk goes to get his dunking in the water.

Preacher says to jerk, "Because I cannot baptize you until you confess, I ask you,
"Do you believe in the Son of God?"

Jerk replies: "I would believe, except you told me I couldn't be saved until after I was baptized. So I can't believe that I have a SAvior who actually saves me until I beez dunked."

Preacher says, "Sorry, then I can't baptize you because you don't yet believe."

Jerk: "But if I believe that I have this Savior, then I have to deny your water baptism gospel which says I don't have a Savior until I am dunked."

Preacher, "Sorry, Jerk."

Suddenly an interloper tells the jerk:
Let me show you a multitude of verses (as in Acts 16) which offer salvation to the believer who believes, with no other conditions added or implied. Whosoever believes, Everyone who believes, Any who believe are expressions which rule out adding anything essential to trusting the Savior. Moreover, it is idolatrous to add human works; also adding works is directly forbidden by scripture.

Could scripture have given an inadequate reply?

Last edited:
K

kennethcadwell

The Question is asked in Acts 16:

Sirs, what MUST-I-DO to be saved?

This question refers to the must-I-do.
You can be saved by doing the must-I-do and innumerable other nice things (which are unnecessary for salvation).

The question concerns salvation, not just getting a chance at it.
The answer is not, "Well boy-ee, You gots to square the hippopotamus & jump through all these hoops."

The answer comes back:

The answer is not, believe on the Lord Jesus, then you get a shot at it if you maintain this or that after you believe or if you jump through some more hoops.

Imagine the problem of the hoop-jumpers.

The first hoop of the hoopists is the believe in Christ. OK, but you are still not saved after you do that for the hoopists. (hopists? you only get to hope at it?) Imagine their problem:

The sinful jerk trusts the Lord Jesus as Savior -- but how can the jerk trust Christ to save him when the jerk cannot have Christ save Him until he jumps through more hoops.
So jerk says, "I believe."
But jerk thinks, "I actually don't believe Christ is now going to save me, because I haven't yet jumped through the rest of the hoops."

So jerk goes to get his dunking in the water.

Preacher says to jerk, "Because I cannot baptize you until you confess, I ask you,
"Do you believe in the Son of God?"

Jerk replies: "I would believe, except you told me I couldn't be saved until after I was baptized. So I can't believe that I have a SAvior who actually saves me until I beez dunked."

Preacher says, "Sorry, then I can't baptize you because you don't yet believe."

Jerk: "But if I believe that I have this Savior, then I have to deny your water baptism gospel which says I don't have a Savior until I am dunked."

Preacher, "Sorry, Jerk."

Suddenly an interloper tells the jerk:
Let me show you a multitude of verses (as in Acts 16) which offer salvation to the believer who believes, with no other conditions added or implied. Whosoever believes, Everyone who believes, Any who believe are expressions which rule out adding anything essential to trusting the Savior. Moreover, it is idolatrous to add human works; also adding works is directly forbidden by scripture.

Well you still have it half right, as those who say believe is all you have to do fail to look at the scriptures where Lord Jesus says what believe in Him means. And it isn't just believe He existed, died on the cross, and resurrected on the 3rd day. This is what Jesus says it means to believe in Him;

Luke 6:46-47

And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them......

K

Kerry

Where does the word say that water dunking will save you. I Know y'all will come up with stuff. But if we just needed head dunking then why was Jesus whipped and beat and His beard plucked out and spit on and nailed to a cross. If all we had to do was dunk our head in some water. You know thats what John ( the baptist) preached and it still was not enough. What did he say, there comes one after me who will baptise in the Holy Ghost and fire. If the water was good enough then why did we need the Holly Ghost and fire?

K

kennethcadwell

Where does the word say that water dunking will save you. I Know y'all will come up with stuff. But if we just needed head dunking then why was Jesus whipped and beat and His beard plucked out and spit on and nailed to a cross. If all we had to do was dunk our head in some water. You know thats what John ( the baptist) preached and it still was not enough. What did he say, there comes one after me who will baptise in the Holy Ghost and fire. If the water was good enough then why did we need the Holly Ghost and fire?
1 Peter 3:20-21.....................

K

Kerry

1 Peter 3:20-21.....................
Was Noah saved by water or wood. Wood being the symbol of the cross. Those did not drowned in the water. Sorry bro you can't top the cross.

K

kennethcadwell

Was Noah saved by water or wood. Wood being the symbol of the cross. Those did not drowned in the water. Sorry bro you can't top the cross.
The earth was cleansed by water, and Noah and his family was saved by that cleansing...........
Now we have the antitype in our baptism of being immersed into water as a symbol of being buried with the Lord into His death, and then being born again by being raised back up into His resurrection. Hince baptized into Him of water and spirti to be born again in a new mindset/creation............