dissociative identity disorder, mental illnes, therapy...long, sorry

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JoyESS1

I have carried the diagnosis of Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID, formerly MPD-Multiple Personality Disorder) since 1996. Before that I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia, BiPolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder. To tell you the truth I fought all of the diagnoses except the BiPolar one because I knew a lot about mental health diagnoses as my father was a Psychiatrist from the time I was about 7 years old (before that he was a primary care doctor) and I worked for him from the time I was 12. I knew that a natural treatment for BiPolar Disorder existed and thought that it was very helpful and effective. Like most of us, I think, I thought that people with mental illness were somehow not as smart or smarter or rebellious or something than the rest of us. For some reason these crazy people won't take their medications. Well the truth of the matter is, STATISICS show that physiologically ill people are just as apt to forget to take their medications or refuse to take them or get confused about directions as are mentally ill people. We who have mental illness as a label get labeled then more by fear and anger and confusion of other people.
One of the biggest confusions comes from the Christian Community and perhaps from the Medical Community as well (I am still investigating this theory). Mental Illness is NOT synonymous with Demonic Possession! It is of course a result (like all death, disease and decay) a result of sin, our fallen sin nature.

I became a Christian when I was 16 years old. I had made 2 very serious suicide attempts prior to that. I made another just 2 weeks later. I did not for many years after that understand that grace is a GIFT from God that stays with us. I thought that because of my horrific sins that I yet committed, I had therefore lost my salvation. This was actually magnified in my mind after I had made a public profession and been baptized because I believed my sins could lead others to hell and were not a good witness and of course I should have changed after that!

My adult life has been a series of heartfelt reccomitments to Christ, struggling with a severe eating disorder and trying to get fixed from whatever I felt was broken in me. I married a man who became a minister. We both had inpatient treatment for our "food addiction" and took upon ourselves the responsibility for our disorders (read--more guilt). The treatment in those days was to use an "in your face" "tough love" which today is usually reserved for life long criminal male drug addicts! No one much today will tolerate that type of treatment. The saying in 12 step circles is that one becomes willing to go to ANY LENGTHS to get well. Over the years "any lengths" changes.

Along with mental illness has come phyisical illness too: Asthma, Morbid Obesity, Severe Osteoarthritis, Vertigo, Migraines, Cancer, Gynecological ailments of all sorts. We read a book by an MD who described modern medicine as a religion. the doctors are the high priests, medications are the sacraments and surgery is to be offered on the high altar. Well, then I am a great devotee as I take tons of medicines and have had 14 surgeries!

Now don't get me wrong, God did not get left out of my life because of this. No my faith has grown and my devotion to His word has grown and my fellowship w the saints has grown through all of this. I have of course prayed for healing. I had hands laid on me. Once a whole congregation (not mine) pledged to fast and pray for me for 2 weeks and then gather around me to "cast the demons out." I have been willing to "go to any lengths" to get well.

Now it occurs to me that maybe I was never broken or sick as I thought I was. My childhood included a great deal of sexual, other physical, mental, emotional and spiritual abuse. This is what splintered my personality into personalities. This may actually have been a great gift from God to protect me from the abuse.

Okay so why am I writing all of this? I have started therapy with a former Christian, Gnostic, Buddhist-leaning Therapist who specializes in DID. He is a gifted and renowned therapist with many successes. It costs me about $130/mo. to see him (he only charges me $30 a month for weekly sessions but I have to drive 1 and 1/2 hrs both ways to see him so it takes almost all of the day, gas and beverages to get me there and back.

I am afraid of the therapy (the therapist might confuse me, going to him might be disrespectful to Jesus, He might make me remember stuff that isn't true, I might make things up to fill in the blanks, this is all just a sinful ploy to get attention, this is not really trusting Jesus, I shouldn't quit my medications (part of the plan), I can't afford it, He wants me to take all sorts of supplements to counteract the damage to my body by the medications and change my eating dramatically. I am subsisting totally on food bank food so I eat a lot of starch and sweets and almost no fruits or vegetables and the fruits and vegetables that I do get are often rotten. How can I stay safe and follow the plan unless God provides? The therapist believes that mental illness is almost all caused by trauma and/or nutritional deficiencies. He is not unique in this but very different than the thinking I was raised with. So I am going through a paradigm shift and that may be more frightening to me inside than any of the rest of this.

All I want, please God, is to give God glory and serve Him and His children. All I want to do is love Him and others. I am a psychotherapist turned Christian peer counselor and am trying to work out of my church. I have been trying to sell Tupperware to raise funds to support the counseling ministry. I have worked very hard and so far had no profit. I am asking for clarity, direction, comfort, wisdom, finances, honesty and peace. I pray you will join in praying for and with me.

Now I have written all of this and I am afraid to post it. Please pray for me to have confidence in the grace of God and my family in Christ. PS...I am in close conferment with my pastor and my husband. Pray for all of them too. Thank you, Joy

N

Nuns_n_roses

Wow God, I do not even know how to begin to pray for this brave survivor... Lord you know what she needs and you see all this pain and all these trials she has already faced... and you know how strong she is, because you never give us more than we can take. Let us all be astounded by her story and count our blessings.

Strengthen her family through your Son, and her confidence in you. Great is your faithfulness and love Father! Never ending is your love for this woman, your precious daughter, who has gone through trials of mind, body, and spirit in countless amounts. I pray she will find solace under your wings... that someone else will have better words to speak that can touch this woman Lord. Bless provide for her every need, and we know if we seek the Kingdom, all these things will be added unto us. Thank you for that blessing!
In Jesus' name, Amen!

Hugs my dear sister! There is so much I did not know what to pray first, but God sees and He heals. :)

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hugs Joy, setting you and all you ask before God in Jesus's name with praise and thanksgiving.
For all you are is in His perfect care, and all His care is given because of His love for you. :)

God bless
pickles

D

danschance

I went thru my whole life thinking I was ok, nice and logical and not having any psychological issues. I have been in charge of projects worth millions. I have been in management. I was even a scoutmaster for five years.

At one point I knew I needed help with a demonic issue. Its a long story, but you can read something I wrote from this time that explains it. A minister at this ministry asked me to tell her about how I grew up. She interipted me and said "Is there something sad about that story" I said no. "Well you looked like you were going to cry and I say you holding back tears" she explained. I told her I sometimes do that but I don't know why.

She then asked if I had ever been diagnosed with D.I.D. which I hadn't. She told me to not respond to the next few questions and then she began asking if there was a little boy who wanted to say hi. I thought she was nuts. I watched my body move without me directing it. The next thing I knew she was calling my name. "Dan Dan, you there?" "Yes, sorry, I must of fallen asleep", I said. Then she said look at you watch. I lost 45 mins. She explained she had been talking to a part of me who claimed to be 3 years old and he said his name is Ben. I have no memory of the abuse my mom gave me as a kid, but Ben recalls it all.

So I understand what you are saying. There is good news for you. I know other multiminds who were turned into mono-minds by God. I was there when a friend of was healed of D.I.D. by God. God just did it out of the blue. I did nothing, it just happened. I can't advise you on what you should do in these matters. I am not a mental health professional and if I was, I couldn't legally advise you online, but as a friend I can suggest you seek out God for your own healing.

I have been seeking my healing and pressing in towards God for years now. One by one, my personalities have been cleaned up and soon I expect to be healed. Jesus has dealt with the little ones and the older ones. It has been an amazing journey of hope and healing.

Lord Jesus, bring her and her alters to the place You want them to go, if it be Your will, in Jesus name.

K

kenisyes

I do not know of a serious follower of Jesus who was not healed of one thing after another for their entire life. I have no idea how long complete healing will take, or if it will ever be in this life. I do know, that if you were not already healed of some things, and if you were not thus led to increasing confidence in the power of God to transform your life, it would be very surprising indeed. This, to my way of thinking, is the greatest scientific proof of the existence of God; that every serious Christian is healed of something on a regular sustained basis.

The "paradigm shift" is where God leads everybody somewhere in this journey of healing, and is a standard technique for Him. It's Moses with the ten commandments defining a new covenant, and it's Jesus saying "he who has faith in me will do the works I do", and it is specific in Rom. 12:2. You want His paradigm, so you will find it. Just continue trusting Him as you are doing. If it is God's will that you change your diet, you just watch how He will provide the other food.