Divorce???!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tobby17

I guess there are probably over a million thread about this Topic, so sorry if i'm just repeating the same thing.. It's just that i'm confused when i see Christians here advising another to divorce his wife or husband. I just saw one lately and it kind of stirred up the topic again!.

Sorry, But is the bible not against Divorce?.. I thinkMatt 5:32! is against divorce, same with .I thought Matt 19:8-9 explains that what God joins together let no man separate???.. I think Divorce is only permitted in case of infidelity right?..

If there are any other conditions that permit Divorce stated in the bible, i think i need to know them. And the bible verses too.. I'm not going to argue with anyone on this.. Once again, i'm just confused that's all...:confused::confused:

S

Skydoogie

A Christian marriage should NOT involve divorce. God seriously doesn't like divorce. (I forget where this info is taken from. :[ I'll look it up.)

C

chiclet01

Sooooo... I know I'm not a teenager. But I teach high school, so I feel okay about posting here. LOL. Anyways... on with my thoughts.

Divorce is one of those topics that people become VERY Pharisee-like about. They want a hard and fast rule that cannot be bent or broken regardless of circumstances. Real life is a lot more fluid, and Jesus showed this in every aspect of his ministry.

Now, you are correct that divorce should not be the thing to jump to immediately, and it's used far too often in our day in age. There are legitimate reasons for divorce though. I can see three Biblical reasons for divorce: infidelity, abandonment, and abuse.

Abuse, hopefully, does not warrant an explanation. Infidelity you already know about.

Abandonment: “If a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him....But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.” 1 Corinthians 7:13, 15. At that time, new believers were being left by unbelieving spouses because of their faith in Jesus Christ. Even today, spouses claiming to be Christian can abandon their loved ones. 1 Corinthians says we are not bound in those circumstances.

I think it's important to note that even if someone is divorced for a reason other than these (or is the cause of the divorce), that it is a sin the same as all other sins. Sin is nothing but falling short of the Glory of God. Now, that's a huge deal, of course, but there is grace and forgiveness for divorce the same as there is for lying, for stealing, for lustful thoughts, etc. It is not unforgivable or irredeemable. Remember, He desires "mercy, not sacrifice". (Matthew 12:7) Still, divorce because "the spark is gone" is not really something that should be advised.

Now, we could get into the whole can of worms about remarriage, but I don't think that was the intent of your question so... I won't. LOL. ;-)

H

hislastwalk

the only time a divorce is ok (According to JESUS) is when there is an abusive husband, etc..
It also says if the woman gets remarried, she becomes an adulteress.

C

chiclet01

the only time a divorce is ok (According to JESUS) is when there is an abusive husband, etc..
It also says if the woman gets remarried, she becomes an adulteress.
Okay. What are your opinions on the above verses I quoted?

H

hislastwalk

Okay. What are your opinions on the above verses I quoted?
I agree, except for the fact that all sin is equal isn't true, the bible states (sexual sin for example) that there are sins worse, because your sinning against your body. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with marriage xD but yeh.lol

C

chiclet01

I agree, except for the fact that all sin is equal isn't true, the bible states (sexual sin for example) that there are sins worse, because your sinning against your body. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with marriage xD but yeh.lol

If you're referring to 1 Corinthians 6:18, it says that sexual sin affects your body the most because it is sinning against your body... but that is simply saying the consequences are worse. There's a difference between consequences being worse and the sin itself being worse. If that makes sense. :)

We tend to think that if the consequences of a sin are worse, the sin must be worse. But in the end, sins are our failings and the things we do that cause us to come up short. All sin does this, regardless of the consequences of that sin.

Some sins with strong consequences are just easier for us to feel like we can judge. ;)

ada

Banned
Aug 25, 2011
It is obvious that more and more women are complaining about their bad
husband seeking openly for a reason to dismiss the marriage.
But is this a honest way to demonizise the current partner openly?
We seldom hear about any shortcomings from the suffering site, do we?

I calling if fishing for public confirmation, which is complete unbiblical.
You should do this with a pastor or minister. And after that act accordingly.
And by the way women are not always the victims..
It takes two if a marriage comes short, not only one!

C

chiclet01

It takes two if a marriage comes short, not only one!
While this is certainly true in some cases, it is not true in all.

And I believe it's a little bit presumptuous to assume that all people (not just women) who come to a forum regarding their marriage are just seeking public confirmation that they can leave their spouse. It's interesting that you only singled out women, even though I've seen posts regarding broken marriages from both men and women.

No one can really know the full situation of anyone who comes online to give their story, ask advice, or make a prayer request. The saying goes that there are three sides to a story person A's side, person B's side, and the truth. LOL. But unless you are saying that anyone who comes on here to give a prayer request, ask advice, or share their story should not do so here... I'm not sure of what you were trying to say.

Matthew4Jesus

May 7, 2011
I agree with chiclet, the Bible is VERY clear on this matter, it's not really debatable.

T

Tobby17

Sorry but where in the bible is Abuse a reason for divorce?. Any bible verse(s)???

C

chiclet01

It is not said directly, no. But God does have strong commands for how husbands should treat their wives (Colossians 3:19, 1 Peter 3:7, Ephesians 5:25-33). Not only that, but we are to obey the laws of the land (1 Peter 2:13-17), and at least in the United States, physical abuse is against those laws. If a woman (or man, for that matter) has to leave a marriage for their own safety or that of their children, I believe it is the abusive spouse who has effectively abandoned the marriage to their own violent urges and have definitely abandoned God's command for them.

If you're looking for a verse that says "If the husband should beat his wife within an inch of her life, then she may divorce him" though, you won't find those exact words. Because it was expected that the husband would love his wife as his own body.