divorce

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

why do some pastors preach its okay to divorce and others preach against divorcd

B

bradiso70

Hi , there are valid biblical reasons for divorce , Christ said anyone the victim of adultery . And Paul said in his first letter to the Corinthians that men or women are not bound to the unbelieving spouse if they leave you . But just like God with Israel when they repented he took them back . And we are called to do the same . Hope that answers your question

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
What Brad said is right, but there's also the fact that some Pastors teach the word of God and some don't.

F

feedm3

Matt 19:9 easy to understand?

Jul 12, 2012
why do some pastors preach its okay to divorce and others preach against divorcd
I'm sorry to say that I believe it's because for some pastors, it is more important to increase the flock than to condemn casual divorce. God says only because of adultery. I guess if someone runs off and gets a divorce against their partner's wishes, that victim doesn't have to likewise truly "put away" their spouse, and can still hope and pray for their salvation and/or return, considering for their self that the marriage is still in effect, and they are the victim of adultery. Carrying a log on the shoulder as they go up the hill.

I believe any "court documents" are binding only in the imagination of the court and anyone who believes them. The real issue is the reason for the divorce.
Jesus started with the existing condition, involving the letter of divorce, but as He cleared the issue up, He didn't revisit the document aspect of it.

My wife is trying to divorce me, but even if the papers come through, I will still consider her my wife, able to reconcile if she wishes.

It's a terrible thing, and if you the reader are in the same tribulation, my heart goes out to you, to deal with it in your best emulation of righteousness, and peace be to you.

Dec 19, 2009
My own personal opinion is that the issue isn’t so much divorce as it is re-marriage. The only time it’s okay to divorce and remarry is when your spouse is guilty of unchastity:

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery. Matt 19:9 RSV

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
"For the man who does not love his wife but divorces her, says the LORD, the God of Israel, covers his garment with violence, says the LORD of hosts. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and do not be faithless."
(Mal 2:16)

He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
(Mat 19:8)

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
I think it has to do with their interpretation of Matt 5:32 and Matt 19:9.

Matt 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matt 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

I believe those passages suggest that separation is permissible, i.e. due to fornication during courting, when marriage bond has not been formed. For instance during the engagement period of Mary and Joseph, Joseph would have been allowed to put away Mary when he found out that she was pregnant for Jesus before their marriage (though it was not
actually fornication as Jesus was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit). However, after marriage the bond cannot be broken otherwise it would be a sin. What God has joined together let no man put asunder.

sanglina

Jul 28, 2012
I guess if someone runs off and gets a divorce against their partner's wishes, that victim doesn't have to likewise truly "put away" their spouse, and can still hope and pray for their salvation and/or return, considering for their self that the marriage is still in effect, and they are the victim of adultery. Carrying a log on the shoulder as they go up the hill.

I believe any "court documents" are binding only in the imagination of the court and anyone who believes them. The real issue is the reason for the divorce.
Jesus started with the existing condition, involving the letter of divorce, but as He cleared the issue up, He didn't revisit the document aspect of it.

My wife is trying to divorce me, but even if the papers come through, I will still consider her my wife, able to reconcile if she wishes.

It's a terrible thing, and if you the reader are in the same tribulation, my heart goes out to you, to deal with it in your best emulation of righteousness, and peace be to you.
Amen! For once, its refreshing to read something that I have always been taught and believe. I just hope and pray that your wife changes her mind and comes back to re-unite with you again.

Last edited:
K

kenisyes

In certain cases, the Bible permits remarriage, like the leaving of an unbelieving spouse (I Cor. 7:15). In many denominations, many spouses only act believing. Frequently, one of two such pretending spouses becomes sincere, and even gets saved, and the other spouse becomes angry or jealous over God's role in the spouse's life and leaves. The teachings have been formulated over many years in some cases, and reflect how much of this the church in question has seen.