Do all Christians doubt God's existence?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Kat_6

I was told that all Christians have doubted God before, and that to be a christian means you have asked yourself this question before, "Is God really real?". I am not going to deny that I doubt if God is real or not from time to time. But even though I doubt, I know deep in my heart that my faith will always outweigh my doubt. Kind of like my faith being over 50% all the time, I will always believe more than I doubt. Sometimes in the midst of trials, I just find that it's harder to trust. And each time I doubt God's existence, I feel guilty and bad for doing so. I feel like it is hurting God and that it makes Him not want to help me through trials.. So I keep praying. I keep telling myself, "God will work it out, I just have to have faith the size of a grain of mustard seed." Does everyone doubt? Or at least once in their life as a born again christian?

JesusMyOnly

Jun 30, 2014
Hello Kat_6. I would like someone to come forward with perfect, unshaken faith. Someone with perfect faith who has never doubted God or a promise of God, so on so forth. And when I say that I do not say it in a rude, spiteful way. I am just trying to make the point that we do not have perfect faith. There is not one person who has genuine, full, never ever doubting/shaken kind of faith. Whether someone may think at times if God is really there or if they are doubting His promises, we've all had our doubts. The more we give ourselves to God, the more we study the word, read and meditate on it and as we continue with God our doubt diminishes.

It wasn't until this year that I became a Christian but I've always known about His existence. Just last year in 2014, I doubted Jesus' existence and felt that if He really wasn't there I'd be hopeless. But I kept telling Him I trusted Him, and He made a way for me to understand yes, He is still there as He has always been and how He always will be. Sometimes our doubt comes from frustration, anger, sadness, fear so on so forth and when we refuse to let go of those kinds of emotions we are not allowing God in. We have to let our defensive side down and trust God when He says that He is there. Allow Him to work in your life.

God understands we will have imperfect faith. God is merciful and understanding but as long as we are trying thats what matters. Praying for you in Jesus name that your doubt grows less and less. God be with and guide Kat_6 in the way of the truth. Give her wisdom, courage and strength.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
1 John 3:23-24Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

23*And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24*And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

If we know He abides in us...we cannot doubt that He is.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
Not bragging or prideful, but having had a relationship with God since I was able to talk, I've never doubted. I suppose it helps when you have been raised in a Christian setting all your life. But more than that, He has kept proving Himself as real to me in so many different ways that have seemed like miracles.

I know faith comes by hearing the Word of God - but I have been speaking and hearing and reading His word all my life. It seems natural that I have never doubted. It was like I was born "into Jesus" even though I remember asking Him into my heart at a very young age.

You will probably get a very different answer from someone who became a Christian later in life, or who was not raised in a Christian setting where prayer and the reality of God was actually more real than the world around them.

T

Tintin

I've never doubted God's existence, but I've doubted His love for me and His presence with me. I'm working through some of that at the moment. But doubting He's real? That's never been an issue for me. What's important, is what you do with that doubt. Do you use it to make excuses to reject God and turn away from Him? Or do you use it to learn to trust Him more fully and to run to Him? I suggest that you do the latter. :)

Feb 7, 2015
I've never doubted God's existence, but I've doubted His love for me and His presence with me. I'm working through some of that at the moment. But doubting He's real? That's never been an issue for me. What's important, is what you do with that doubt. Do you use it to make excuses to reject God and turn away from Him? Or do you use it to learn to trust Him more fully and to run to Him? I suggest that you do the latter. :)
I couldn't have said it better.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Hello Kat_6. I would like someone to come forward with perfect, unshaken faith. Someone with perfect faith who has never doubted God or a promise of God, so on so forth. And when I say that I do not say it in a rude, spiteful way. I am just trying to make the point that we do not have perfect faith. There is not one person who has genuine, full, never ever doubting/shaken kind of faith. Whether someone may think at times if God is really there or if they are doubting His promises, we've all had our doubts. The more we give ourselves to God, the more we study the word, read and meditate on it and as we continue with God our doubt diminishes.

It wasn't until this year that I became a Christian but I've always known about His existence. Just last year in 2014, I doubted Jesus' existence and felt that if He really wasn't there I'd be hopeless. But I kept telling Him I trusted Him, and He made a way for me to understand yes, He is still there as He has always been and how He always will be. Sometimes our doubt comes from frustration, anger, sadness, fear so on so forth and when we refuse to let go of those kinds of emotions we are not allowing God in. We have to let our defensive side down and trust God when He says that He is there. Allow Him to work in your life.

God understands we will have imperfect faith. God is merciful and understanding but as long as we are trying thats what matters. Praying for you in Jesus name that your doubt grows less and less. God be with and guide Kat_6 in the way of the truth. Give her wisdom, courage and strength.
Nice insight for one saved under two months.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I've never doubted God's existence, but but I've doubted His love for me and His presence with me. I'm working through some of that at the moment. But doubting He's real? That's never been an issue for me. What's important, is what you do with that doubt. Do you use it to make excuses to reject God and turn away from Him? Or do you use it to learn to trust Him more fully and to run to Him? I suggest that you do the latter. :)
How are you working through it, Tintin? Cuz I feel that way sometimes too..

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I always figured Tintin was closer to God than me...
cause he's taller.

: )

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I'm not Tintin, but I'll share my solution.

I go to my prayer closet. If it gets really bad, I get my prayer partner and we take it to God.

T

Tintin

I don't have any one answer and it's not fool-proof or anything. I spend time with good Christian friends and with family, sharing my heart. I see a Christian psychologist and now I'm also being mentored by an older man at my church. I spend time alone with God, reading my Bible, praying from the depths of my soul (some tears, lots of desperation). I'm learning to listen to Him more, but it's not easy. I wrestle with God in my prayer closet, as I learn to surrender myself to Him, everything I am. Personally, I don't see much fruit, but others seem to see something in me, which is encouraging. But I'd love to feel His presence for myself.

Dec 12, 2013

Amen Bro...I will fly down to Sydney...You can fly up and lets do lunch HAHHAHA...maybe a game of golf or catch a (football) game HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH ;)

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
I was told that all Christians have doubted God before, and that to be a christian means you have asked yourself this question before, "Is God really real?". I am not going to deny that I doubt if God is real or not from time to time. But even though I doubt, I know deep in my heart that my faith will always outweigh my doubt. Kind of like my faith being over 50% all the time, I will always believe more than I doubt. Sometimes in the midst of trials, I just find that it's harder to trust. And each time I doubt God's existence, I feel guilty and bad for doing so. I feel like it is hurting God and that it makes Him not want to help me through trials.. So I keep praying. I keep telling myself, "God will work it out, I just have to have faith the size of a grain of mustard seed." Does everyone doubt? Or at least once in their life as a born again christian?
I believe that we all doubt God at some level sometimes; if not His existence we doubt His promises at least enough to keep us from totally relying on them.

T

Tintin

I always figured Tintin was closer to God than me...
cause he's taller.

: )
I don't know about closer to the Son of God, but I'm certainly closer to the sun of God. ;)

J

JesusistheChrist

I honestly don't believe that I've ever doubted God's existence since I first got saved 26 years ago, but I have had several instances where I've been tempted to curse God and die over the years when the refining process that He was putting me through was almost unbearable. Such instances were all necessary (and I'm sure that there are more to come) in that they were all basically a clash between God's will for my life and my own will, but thankfully I've learned to pray a lot and also to ask others to pray for me in times of intense trial and God's mercy and grace have been sufficient for me. I've barely survived the last few months, but here I am...by the skin of my teeth.

K

kennethcadwell

Everybody has doubted God in one way or another, rather it be His existence, His love, His doctrine, and so on.
I even see that doubt in teaching still in now day teaching, as I see some going around telling people they still can not do this or that. When the bible clearly says with God to a believer all things are possible.....