Do not be yoked together with unbelievers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

HeftyFine

Okay so this is something that bothers me. I've found that Christians love to throw this around when it comes to friendships with non-believers and such now question. Am I not supposed to not talk to my dad anymore because he's not a believer? It's said there's no grey area within Christianity so what now? Curious for thoughts on this.

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
I think it simply means we are not to get to close to the individual, not a full blown shunning which the Amish and other sects take it. Of-course with your dad this is inevitable, so you should try to be an example to him and try to win him over to Christ (similar to what scripture tells us to do with the unsaved husband of a recently saved woman). Assuming your father has a *cough* free-will *cough*, then he wasn't elected for the bad place - he just hasn't chosen life.

When making friends with the world, we can be friendly up to the point of acquaintances without partaking in their sins. Becoming a close friend to an unbeliever when he tells you to drink beer, do drugs, party and get in illicit positions is hardly 'winning someone over to christ'. Rather the world winning over a really dumb or rather never saved christian sheeple.

Regarding this in the term where girls think they can date and win unbelievers over to christ - this is extremely dangerous and wrong. Christian singer Keith Green's wife had the following good words to say when confronted with this issue...

Last Days Ministries : Why You Shouldn't Marry or Date an Unbeliever <-- CLICKY

Nov 10, 2011
I think it simply means we are not to get to close to the individual, not a full blown shunning which the Amish and other sects take it. Of-course with your dad this is inevitable, so you should try to be an example to him and try to win him over to Christ (similar to what scripture tells us to do with the unsaved husband of a recently saved woman). Assuming your father has a *cough* free-will *cough*, then he wasn't elected for the bad place - he just hasn't chosen life.

When making friends with the world, we can be friendly up to the point of acquaintances without partaking in their sins. Becoming a close friend to an unbeliever when he tells you to drink beer, do drugs, party and get in illicit positions is hardly 'winning someone over to christ'. Rather the world winning over a really dumb or rather never saved christian sheeple.

Regarding this in the term where girls think they can date and win unbelievers over to christ - this is extremely dangerous and wrong. Christian singer Keith Green's wife had the following good words to say when confronted with this issue...

I have one problem with what you said. Not all non-believers are out doing drugs , drinking bear and doing all the other sinful things non-believers are thought to be doing. I grew up most of my life as a complete non-believer, and I never did any of those those things.

H

HeftyFine

G4JC I sincerely do not appreciate the sarcasm. Ruined the entire post.

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
I have one problem with what you said. Not all non-believers are out doing drugs , drinking bear and doing all the other sinful things non-believers are thought to be doing. I grew up most of my life as a complete non-believer, and I never did any of those those things.
When making friends with the world, we can be friendly up to the point of acquaintances without partaking in their sins.
I don't believe I mentioned "ALL" unbelievers do drugs and drink beer in that statement, I am simply pointing out a fact that we are to be careful how close we get to people who may do these things and/or more. Sooner or later becoming close friends with an unbeliever will result in either the unbeliever turning to the Lord, or the more likely scenario the believer giving into the world. The same is true for anger and other vices which we may not notice once it becomes normal to us...
Pro 22:24 Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go:
Pro 22:25 Lest thou learn his ways, and get a snare to thy soul.

I can say yes some unbelievers are nice and moral people, and not everyone is overly immoral. Still not one of us has not broken God's law. If we break one of God's Ten Commandments we have broken them all.
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
- James 2:10

And our good works is as filthy rags...
Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

The good news is Christ did die for everyone and we can receive forgiveness and cleansing from the sin which we are all born into.

HeftyFine said:
G4JC I sincerely do not appreciate the sarcasm. Ruined the entire post.
The post was not intended as sarcastic, I am sorry you took it that way. The *cough* was due to several posts I've seen you making on topics around Calvanism. It would be tragic to assume any friend or family member is destined for a specific place...

I think you should be an example to your father and treat him with respect. If he tells you to go into a bar or do other worldy things you need not comply, but all else is scripturally sound that children should obey their parents. Also, doing so and trying to talk to him about God may change his heart and you can pray that his eyes be opened to see the truth and his heart not be hardened. We are to be a light to the world, not hide it under a basket and shun everyone - in this case your own father.

Hopefully you understand my statement better now.