Do People Over Share on Social Media?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
I'm not judging here, just asking a question. You may say, "well the answer is obvious". But this one disturbed me a bit and I wondered what others thought.

I have a friend, we're not really close, but attended the same church at one time, been in each others homes. Time passed and we got busy with life. Recently her mother took ill, not sure what it was but they moved her to special care. My friend got on FB and was angry about how bad medical care is for the elderly and the cost. They were struggling to find a place for her. This past week things got worse and they were asking for prayers and I let them know I was praying. She then announced that her mother had decided to come of the respirator and that she was ready to "go home". Again said I would be praying. But then the last couple days she took videos of her mother saying goodbye to each family member, from her husband to her children. And somehow it just didn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on why I felt that way. It just seemed to me to be a private moment. She said something along the lines of wanting people to see what happens to the elderly, it just felt off to me. Maybe it's just me.

I don't know whether my friend is a Christian now. She left her husband and has a new man, new relationship and he's not a believer. I believe her mother is saved. So I just wanted to ask others if they would be ok if this was their parent. Somehow it seemed disrespectful? I don't even know if that's the right word. Let me know how you feel about it and if you would do the same, or feel like me.
You are absolutely right, people write far too much personal stuff on FB. It is extremely unwise.
I have become disillusioned and I ask myself what is FB actually for?

Personally I share only very neutral harmless subjects, the only photos I put on there are of my cats.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
FB was originally a electronic yearbook for rating graduates that you had a crush on and playing farmville.

Now it has become something else. A repository for cat pictures.

Does anyone remember...Myspace? Bebo? lol

Mar 2, 2023
Hey there! Just wanted to chime in and share my thoughts on this. I think people can sometimes overshare on social media, and it's a tricky balance between sharing updates and respecting people's privacy. In your friend's case, it's definitely a private and emotional moment, and it's understandable to feel like it should be kept within the family. As for me, I'm not sure if I would do the same thing or not. It really depends on the situation and how I felt about it at the time. On a related note, I did come across this link to buy tiktok video shares. It's interesting to see how social media has evolved and the different ways people try to promote their content. Anyway, just wanted to add my two cents. By the way, I'm new to this forum, so nice to meet y'all!

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Hey there! Just wanted to chime in and share my thoughts on this. I think people can sometimes overshare on social media, and it's a tricky balance between sharing updates and respecting people's privacy. In your friend's case, it's definitely a private and emotional moment, and it's understandable to feel like it should be kept within the family. As for me, I'm not sure if I would do the same thing or not. It really depends on the situation and how I felt about it at the time. On a related note, I did come across this link to buy tiktok video shares. It's interesting to see how social media has evolved and the different ways people try to promote their content. Anyway, just wanted to add my two cents. By the way, I'm new to this forum, so nice to meet y'all!
Welcome to CC.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
I'm not judging here, just asking a question. You may say, "well the answer is obvious". But this one disturbed me a bit and I wondered what others thought.

I have a friend, we're not really close, but attended the same church at one time, been in each others homes. Time passed and we got busy with life. Recently her mother took ill, not sure what it was but they moved her to special care. My friend got on FB and was angry about how bad medical care is for the elderly and the cost. They were struggling to find a place for her. This past week things got worse and they were asking for prayers and I let them know I was praying. She then announced that her mother had decided to come of the respirator and that she was ready to "go home". Again said I would be praying. But then the last couple days she took videos of her mother saying goodbye to each family member, from her husband to her children. And somehow it just didn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on why I felt that way. It just seemed to me to be a private moment. She said something along the lines of wanting people to see what happens to the elderly, it just felt off to me. Maybe it's just me.

I don't know whether my friend is a Christian now. She left her husband and has a new man, new relationship and he's not a believer. I believe her mother is saved. So I just wanted to ask others if they would be ok if this was their parent. Somehow it seemed disrespectful? I don't even know if that's the right word. Let me know how you feel about it and if you would do the same, or feel like me.
Yes - but also depends on the person viewing the content on whether they think it’s oversharing or not.

Personally for example I don’t cope well seeing dead bodies in coffins. That’s just me but could be different for someone else.

Jul 25, 2023
Hi there. Just saw this thread was bumped and I wanted to share my 2 cents too. As for your friend's situation, I can see why you felt a bit uneasy about the videos she shared. It's cool that she wanted to raise awareness about the challenges faced by the elderly, but it's also important to think about her mom's privacy and dignity. It's a fine line, you know? When it comes to your friend's new relationship and faith, it's tough to judge without knowing all the deets. People change, and relationships evolve, so we gotta be understanding and supportive, even if we don't always agree with everything. Oh, by the way, since you're new here, I just wanted to mention that there are places where you can find instagram profiles for sale if you're looking to grow your online presence. Just do your research and make sure you go with a legit source. In the end, it's all about personal boundaries and what feels right for each person. If you're not comfortable with oversharing, that's totally okay. If you decide to talk to your friend about it, just be open and honest. Good communication is key.

F

FollowingtheWay

There are archives of newspapers from late 1800's and early 1900's from a small town that I am moving to.

Now THAT was a gossip rag....
It detailed who was visiting who and when and where. Who had good crops and who was seen loafing. Who was perpetrating voter fraud and who wasn't.

And especially who was late on paying for their newspapers. (LOL)

My SIL (a millennial) was aghast at what was printed there. This was the town's newspaper....read all about the county. An official record of events.

I never have heard anymore from her about what she thought of this newspaper.
ow yea that’s pretty wild stuff. I was tracking down family history on ancestry.com and found my old hometown paper . Searching for my grandpa came up with articles from 1960 where it literally described who my grandparents had over for Sunday dinner out on the farm each week . where the kids- my aunts, uncles etc were staying over the night. I think one of them detailed what specifically they ate. It was a headline titled “area happenings”

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The church newsletter is full of gossip
especially under the prayer requests.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
ow yea that’s pretty wild stuff. I was tracking down family history on ancestry.com and found my old hometown paper . Searching for my grandpa came up with articles from 1960 where it literally described who my grandparents had over for Sunday dinner out on the farm each week . where the kids- my aunts, uncles etc were staying over the night. I think one of them detailed what specifically they ate. It was a headline titled “area happenings”
Oh yeah....gossip rags from yesteryear are always interesting to read. Especially when they threatened to publish the names of everyone behind on their subscription fees.

The basic premise of the thread though....

Dunno if it's true or not.
Where the sensational stuff gets lots of views. The "mundane " does not. But more people are needing the mundane information more than what JayZ's hairstyle is.

There's a thing with stocks and bond trading....called glamor stocks. And basically if a stock is receiving a LOT of press its a glamor stock....meaning those who really want to make money in the stock market stay away from those stocks. Meaning I don't need to know what is currently the "hot stock picks". 99% of the people who lose money in the market are actively playing glamor stocks.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
yes, for these reasons: 1. when conversing with someone you don't know, you can tend to be more open simply because they never have seen you! how many times have people finished a text & said, "wow, i shouldn't have said that" but what's the difference, they don't know me"! 2. mere attention. 3. loneliness. 4. just don't care what anybody thinks. 5. bored. 6. a true heart felt emotional longing to speak to humans.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

yes, all the addicted ones.

Oct 15, 2023

Absolutely 💯
People use social media for various of reasons. For me I pray that I use it for God's glory and not my own. People use it as a dumping grounds, as a way to manipulate others, gaining things from others whether it's sympathy or other. We always need to guard our hearts, test the spirits and pray to the Lord when we are online. If there's every an opportunity satan can get a foothold it is definitely on the world wide web. I have seen friendships destroyed, people taken their lives over things posted, words and reputation being slammed and so many other things. It truly can be used for evil. I share if I sense someone is in need of encouragement, or the fires I have walked through with God, witness to God's amazing faithfulness. But as far as being a dumping ground - who knows who's listening and not all people are good people for your best interest online. People show their true selves online sometimes having a false sense of security. AG