Do we need a Walmart location in Southside Charlotte?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RDG803

Mar 18, 2024
Charlotte, NC
There are 8 Walmart locations in Charlotte area. If you live in Dilworth, South End, Myers Park, Southpark or anywhere along South Blvd or Park Rd, you're not anywhere near one, of course if you like taking a trip to the west side location on Wilkinson Blvd. Since the Arrowood Rd location moved to Whitehall area off South Tryon in the early 2000s, there's no nearby Walmart for upper Southside Charlotte. I wonder If I'm the only one that thinks the needs one. It's might be convenient for the area. You already have retailers like Burlington, TJmaxx, Ross, Lowe's, Petsmart, Dollar Tree, and The Home Depot in the area all located on one street. Why not open a Walmart? If there any room for one. There too many apartment buildings going up, along the light rail blue line. Does that area need one? In my opinion, I think so, but what do you think?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I think this is a question for a local forum, not an international one. Doubtful anyone outside of your area really has any opinion.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
If I ever visit Charlotte, I will be going to the local Dollar General; so, no, I do not think y'all need another Walmart.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
I like Walmart. I have two near me within 7 and 11 minutes away from me. If that area doesn't have one within several minutes and there is a good population there, then I think a Walmart Supercenter would be a good idea to build.

👩‍🚀

Dec 9, 2011
I wonder what percentage of people would be In favor of Walmart going back to having a cashier checkout rather than the self checkouts?

Side-note:
Someone should do a poll In the miscellaneous forum.😂

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
Never understood why so many people are down on WalMart.
A local store owner I know told me they made him a better business man because he had to be better to survive.
They also employ people that may not be able to find work because of physical or mental problems.
Our local store employees many retired people that need the extra income to survive.
My daughter worked for them for years and when she developed knee problems and was unable to stand for very long, they move her to a cashier position and allowed her to set on a stool to work.
Good employees who work and are always there and on time have no worries.
Their pay scale is higher than any other retailer in our area.
They pay more than the local union stores in our area.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I'm a smelly in a basket Walmart deplorable.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Walmart is both good and bad.

I like the convenience of self-checkout, but it has put a lot of people out of work. They have everything under one roof, but unfortunately a lot of it is cheap junk. I'm willing to pay a little more for quality; but it's getting a lot harder to find quality anywhere because of Walmart. Other businesses have had to follow their lead to stay in business.

And for all the stuff they do have, their selection isn't really that great sometimes. For example, the other day I was looking for a carpenter's square around 16" x 24"; all they had were little dinky things that weren't really even squares but little triangles. And their selection on individual tools is pretty slim; mostly you have to get a full set of whatever it is you want.

I'm usually able to find the groceries I'm looking for at a decent price. But I'm pretty easy to shop for food wise; I eat a lot of the same stuff all the time and have a pretty simple diet.

To sum up, Walmart is okay for some things, but I would shop around unless you like throwing your cash away on cheap junk.

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
I live in an area of many low income and retired folks.
They would not survive without Walmart.
We have a local change that serves those who can afford their prices.
They are 20 to 30% higher than Walmart and pay their employees less.
They seem to stay in business because some are to good to be seen at Walmart.
I will not buy meat at Walmart. I shop at a local market that has great US raised meat at competitive prices but buy everything else at Walmart.
It is 30 miles away so only go once a month and stock up.
They have been a benefit to our rural area.
Makes our retirement income sufficient to live in comfort.