Do you accept a gift or not?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Liz01

A relative (non-christian) gave me a bracelet, its beautiful but it has a small piece that seem to be like those parts that ppl use in sorcery. I dont want to be rude with this member of my family but i dont like the bracelet, so i would appreciate and advice,

what would you do?

would you put it in the garbage?

would you return it to your relative?

:confused:

U

Ugly

Why not just say 'i appreciate the gesture, but my faith is very important to me, and this piece here goes against my faith. If you wouldn't mind maybe we could go together to replace it and have lunch together afterwards'.

And what is this 'small sorcery piece'?

G

GodsGoldenStar

liz01: you say " thanks for the gtift but i cant accept that im sorry." anything with a sources or some kind of whitchcraft on it u should never take from them. when u do, it means you accept the religion that they are apart of and knowing that you Serve God.

sometimes satan will be in the mist of that. i had a friend whos a wiccan (pagan) ask me if i wanted to be apart of his pagan ritual...i said to him "no, what do i look like to you? i serve Christ not satan" he was playing but i take that stuff serious playing or not.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
IS it one of those evil eye bracelets? Its just supposed to ward off the evil eye, but its not magical or anything. Just a clever marketing ploy.

G

GodsGoldenStar

Zero, I LOVE your avatar LOL!!!

Who's needs a braclet when God is our way of warding or scaring off evil. He's our sheild, our sheppard :) we are his sheep, his flock his herd. :)

Z

zaggamorre

I d gladly accept it. Keep it,but when that family member of yours starts asking you as to why youre not wearing it,just smile and politely say, " I rather keep it or itll be lost in my wrist"----hehehe'-)

K

keep_on_smiling

Since you don't like it and or think it could be representing sorcery I would get rid of it. If you think the person gave you this particular bracelet to test your faith and see what you would say about it, then I would just give it back and explain why.

If you pray about it and feel they gave it to you without thinking in that way, then the other person doesn't even need to know about you getting rid of it. Why hurt someone when it was just an innocent gift?

H

hislastwalk

IS it one of those evil eye bracelets? Its just supposed to ward off the evil eye, but its not magical or anything. Just a clever marketing ploy.
lol. Well the Ouija board is clever marketing ploy but still very real /:

J

Jordache

First of all, did they do it on purpose? If not, then just accept it graciously. They're not trying to destroy you. Secondly, does it look like one of those bracelets or is it one. To compare this to a quija isn't board is a little far fetched. It's not a pack of tarot cards. Those items have one purpose. Chances are it's just spooky bracelet. If so, don't shame your family who probably had no idea. Accept it graciously. If you like it, wear it. If you dont; destroy it.
1. A friend of mine had a set of handmade Africa drums that were destroyed without his permission becausethe people holding them were convinced that because African countries practice occultic practices, the drums were bad news. Thise drums were hundreds of dollars. They gave way too much power to them enemy.
2. When I was 13 I bought a purple necklace with a cross. When I got home my mom asked why I'd bought a rosary. All I knew was it was pretty. Since it's widely known that the Mexican Catholic is ripe with sinchretistic occult practices, does that mean I get rid of the necklace. I don't think so.
If you lived in a "haunted" house you do not move from the house. You "cleanse" the house because He that is in you is greater than he who is in this world. Then you move on with life.

L

Liz01

Well, this member of my family gave me a little closed box and told me to opened until i was at home because it was a suprise, so i couldnt had the opportunnity to decline the present, but i dont think it was on purpose.

And im not sure about the thing in the bracelet, it has small round stones with things on it that look as little eyes so they are little bit creepy, but i dont know if its a thing of the little stones or if the drawings were done by someone. This relative lives in a state where is very common the sorcery but there are a lot of traditional materials too, so im not really sure about it.

M

mori

Early Christians struggled with this sort of thing too - would they eat meat that had been sacrificed to idols? 1 Corinthians 8 says:

So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.
In other words, whether or not the bracelet has any occult associations isn't really important for the believer herself. Whatever anybody else believes, you know it's a combination of metal, stones, etc. and has no influence over you; it would be superstition to think otherwise. There's definitely no question of spiritual contamination - the thing could be stamped with pictures of Satan but still wouldn't be defiled in any real sense.

It becomes problematic, though, if others associate it with occult practices and wonder why a Christian would be wearing it. If the response from other people is "oooh, pretty" and not "hey, isn't that an occult symbol?" you're not harming anybody's conscience. If it's a commonly known piece with clear associations, however, it sounds as though you'd be arousing suspicion at least among the family that gave it.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Why not just say 'i appreciate the gesture, but my faith is very important to me, and this piece here goes against my faith. If you wouldn't mind maybe we could go together to replace it and have lunch together afterwards'.

And what is this 'small sorcery piece'?
Right on. Very good way to handle that situation. :)

V

violakat

Well, this member of my family gave me a little closed box and told me to opened until i was at home because it was a suprise, so i couldnt had the opportunnity to decline the present, but i dont think it was on purpose.

And im not sure about the thing in the bracelet, it has small round stones with things on it that look as little eyes so they are little bit creepy, but i dont know if its a thing of the little stones or if the drawings were done by someone. This relative lives in a state where is very common the sorcery but there are a lot of traditional materials too, so im not really sure about it.
Can you send us a picture here?

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
lol. Well the Ouija board is clever marketing ploy but still very real /:
But the ouija board is designed to be used to summon spirits. This evil eye jewelry isn't designed to be used in any way except as jewelry. Its just jewelry with eyes painted on it.

V

violakat

But the ouija board is designed to be used to summon spirits. This evil eye jewelry isn't designed to be used in any way except as jewelry. Its just jewelry with eyes painted on it.
Not necessarily. Supposedly the evil eye is suppose to direct curses to the person it's directed against.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Not necessarily. Supposedly the evil eye is suppose to direct curses to the person it's directed against.
The bracelet's name is a misnomer. The bracelet isn't the evil eye, it supposedly protects the wearer from the evil eye. Its just a bracelet with eyes painted on it. Someone just said, "I'm going to make a bracelet with little eyes on it and call it an evil eye bracelet." and people thought it was cool and started wearing them.