Do you consider the national lottery a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SpudLove

Jan 17, 2013
Considering the charitable donations the national lottery makes, do you consider the national lottery a sin?

J

jimmydiggs

More or less, I believe gambling is a sin because of other factors than gambling in and of itself.

Mar 21, 2011
Yeah I agree with Jimmy.
At the end of the day, I've not seen anything Holy in gambling. I have see families financially ruined, people going into sin and people focussed on wealth and drunkeness with gambling.

F

flight316

The only thing that's a sin about it is that it gives too much money to one person. They should have more winners per drawing. Spread the wealth.

J

jimmydiggs

The only thing that's a sin about it is that it gives too much money to one person. They should have more winners per drawing. Spread the wealth.
I would think the dishonorable use of God's money, would be enough to be sinful.

The issue of "too much for one person" is rather irrelevant.

T

Tintin

At the very least, gambling is all about getting money without working to earn it (and that's not a biblical concept). At the very worst, it ruins many families, physically, spiritually and mentally and promotes greed - to the max.

Mar 21, 2011
At the very least, gambling is all about getting money without working to earn it (and that's not a biblical concept).
Unfortunately that is the very basis of what capitalism is. Using established wealth (capital) to increase that capital.

From what I've seen Stock market speculation is little different from Horse Racing Speculation.

Nov 26, 2012
The lottery does target a lot of poor people. It causes some people who maybe have just enough money to gamble it away for the chance to strike it rich. If the question was is it sin to play the lottery, I think it has to do with motives. Right now I have to work far away from home to provide for my family. I'd be tickled if I won enough money so I could be home with my wife and four kids. I bought a ticket the other day. I only bought one and I figured that's all I needed if it was God's will for me to win. Some may consider it to be a waste of resources but you could make that argument for three dollar coffees, cable tv and golf for that matter. I agree gambling can get out of control and if that's you, don't gamble but I don't think you have to sweat about a five dollar buy in at your friends house for poker night.

J

jimmydiggs

From what I've seen Stock market speculation is little different from Horse Racing Speculation.
Absolutely.

I don't see any necessary incompatibility of free exchange of goods and services, and the expanding of a business with scripture's commands.