Do you have to believe Jesus rose from the dead specifically on the third day to be saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I don't doubt any of the resurrections... I'm just having trouble taking in that it happened on the third day. Like it doesn't stick with me for some reason so I don't know if I really believe it. Maybe I do? It's just something I'm concerned about since whenever it comes up I have trouble with it, but like I wrote before I think it might be a reading retention problem. Like I've read it, but I have to reread it to remind myself that it's true, sort of.
Jesus gave the fact that the only sign given to an unbelieving generation would be His resurrection after three days, comparing his time entombed to that of Jonah's in the great fish that had been prepared for him. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Well, he called it a wicked and adulterous generation, but I do not wish to say that to/about you, just adding that in case someone else comes along and says it without the caveat. He also said to the Jews in John 2:19 that He would raise the Temple after three days, speaking of His own body following His crucifixion and burial (for He knew it was going to happen). Jesus answered, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up again.” They thought He was referring to the actual Temple, though. So the three days part does seem important. Would it make any difference if it was a different number of days? Reading the beginning of the chapter did not really help, but perhaps if you just sit with it... nobody gets everything all at once, or necessarily at first, or even everything at all. That is part of the reason why we are to meditate on His Word...

Sep 24, 2012
Jesus gave the fact that the only sign given to an unbelieving generation would be His resurrection after three days, comparing his time entombed to that of Jonah's in the great fish that had been prepared for him. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Well, he called it a wicked and adulterous generation, but I do not wish to say that to/about you, just adding that in case someone else comes along and says it without the caveat. He also said to the Jews in John 2:19 that He would raise the Temple after three days, speaking of His own body following His crucifixion and burial (for He knew it was going to happen). Jesus answered, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up again.” They thought He was referring to the actual Temple, though. So the three days part does seem important. Would it make any difference if it was a different number of days? Reading the beginning of the chapter did not really help, but perhaps if you just sit with it... nobody gets everything all at once, or necessarily at first, or even everything at all. That is part of the reason why we are to meditate on His Word...
Ah, my issue might not be clear. I'm not sure if from 1 Corinthians 15 that we have to believe Jesus was resurrected on the third day. Paul seems to be saying to those believers that their salvation depends on them believing what he preached to them (including that Jesus rose again on the third day), I'm not sure if those exact things are required for everyone to believe, specifically that he rose again on the third day. The reason I'm concerned is that I have trouble retaining that it happened on the third day, so I'm not sure if I believe it (I'm not at all saying it's not true, it just doesn't sink in or something), if that makes sense? Maybe I just don't get it like you were saying. It might sound really strange but I think I've stumbled over small things like this before. It's like my mind is a lego set and this one piece isn't fitting for some reason.

vassal

Jan 20, 2024
Genesis
1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Jesus is the first fruit.Perhaps the third day is also to commemorate God's creation of fruit on the third day.
I think but i could be wrong that the root of the problem is that you see that in total it does not make a full 3 days?

if it's the case know that that year there was a special sabbath added, so at that time there were 2 sabbaths! I do not remember all the details as I am not very good with the Hebrew calendar but I assure you from Jesus death and resurrection 3 days ( 72 hours) had passed.

Blessings

vassal

Jan 20, 2024
Ah, my issue might not be clear. I'm not sure if from 1 Corinthians 15 that we have to believe Jesus was resurrected on the third day. Paul seems to be saying to those believers that their salvation depends on them believing what he preached to them (including that Jesus rose again on the third day), I'm not sure if those exact things are required for everyone to believe, specifically that he rose again on the third day. The reason I'm concerned is that I have trouble retaining that it happened on the third day, so I'm not sure if I believe it (I'm not at all saying it's not true, it just doesn't sink in or something), if that makes sense? Maybe I just don't get it like you were saying. It might sound really strange but I think I've stumbled over small things like this before. It's like my mind is a lego set and this one piece isn't fitting for some reason.
I think but i could be wrong that the root of the problem is that you see that in total it does not make a full 3 days?

if it's the case know that that year there was a special sabbath added, so at that time there were 2 sabbaths! I do not remember all the details as I am not very good with the Hebrew calendar but I assure you from Jesus death and resurrection 3 days ( 72 hours) had passed.

Blessings

vassal

Jan 20, 2024
sorry, i posted twice? lol

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
No I'm not. I'm asking because of what it says in 1 Corinthians 15.
1 Corinthians, Chapter 19:

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Is this what you are referring to?

The Chapter explains it all quite well. That's the problem with zeroing in on one verse. One must read each verse in context with all the supporting verses. As for "the third day," Jesus said He would "raise this temple" in three days... (Himself)

John, Chapters 2:

18Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

One must (IMO) believe what Jesus said to be a follower of Him, and, thus, sure one must believe He was raised in three days. Else, why would He say such?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Do you have trouble retaining things in general? Is that something you struggle with? Otherwise, I don't understand how you can't retain it. It's a fundamental of the Christian faith; it would be like saying you can't retain that Christ died on the cross.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
This ?

“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:3-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

this is what the gospel declared Jesus was born lived as a man preached the gospel died for mankind’s sins and rose again the third day

all Paul is doing is witnessing that the gospel is true

jesus rising in the third day is fulfilment if a prophetic figure in the law when God appeared the third day

“And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled. And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭19:16, 18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

And purification rites for dead bodies

“He that toucheth the dead body of any man shall be unclean seven days. He shall purify himself with it on the third day, and on the seventh day he shall be clean: but if he purify not himself the third day, then the seventh day he shall not be clean.”
‭‭Numbers‬ ‭19:11-12‬ ‭

Do you not believe he rose from the dead ? Or is it just the third day part you’re struggling with ? It seems like if someone believes he rose from the dead the third day part wouldnt be the issue that’s hard to believe

everything Jesus did and what happened in the gospel is based on what the prophets said would happen like being raised up in the third day

With respect Exodus and Numbers have nothing to do with Jesus - thats at best a misrepresentation worst a manipulation. Might as well link Gen 31:22- And Laban was told on the third day that Jacob had fled. And so many other passages.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
1 Corinthians, Chapter 19:

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Is this what you are referring to?

The Chapter explains it all quite well. That's the problem with zeroing in on one verse. One must read each verse in context with all the supporting verses. As for "the third day," Jesus said He would "raise this temple" in three days... (Himself)

John, Chapters 2:

18Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

One must (IMO) believe what Jesus said to be a follower of Him, and, thus, sure one must believe He was raised in three days. Else, why would He say such?

I understand 1 Cor 19 - 'scriptures' relates to OT not NT as there was no NT at the time

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
So just believe it. It is not a big deal. But Christ Himself said that there would be three days and three nights between the crucifixion and the resurrection. What more do do you want? By that reckoning (and that the Hebrew day begins and ends at sunset) His crucifixion would have been on Wednesday, not Friday.

Jesus is said to have died around the ninth hour (3pm) - if he died on Wednesday how do you get 3 days and 3 nights?
Would Thursday not be a better fit?

Apr 27, 2023
Jesus is said to have died around the ninth hour (3pm) - if he died on Wednesday how do you get 3 days and 3 nights?
Would Thursday not be a better fit?
No, because Friday, Saturday, and Sunday aren't 3 days and night either.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Jesus is said to have died around the ninth hour (3pm) - if he died on Wednesday how do you get 3 days and 3 nights? Would Thursday not be a better fit?
This is what Jesus said: For as Jonas [Jonah] was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Mt 12:40)

Yes Christ died on Wednesday afternoon, but He was entombed on that evening (which would be the start of Thursday). That would resemble Jonah being "entombed" in the whale's belly. And each day must be reckoned from evening to evening. So we read: When the even [evening] was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple: He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered. And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth (Mt 26:57-59).

Wednesday evening to Saturday evening would be three nights and three days, which is the same as three days and three nights. Sunday (the first day of the week) actually began at sunset on Saturday evening. But Christ probably arose between 1:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. on early Sunday morning. Christ is called "the Morning Star" (Rev 22:16) and the morning star appears roughly two hours before sunrise. The women came to the tomb very early in the morning and He had already gone.

Omegatime

Apr 29, 2023
Pennsylvania
Just as Adam was made on the sixth day and fell on that day Jesus was crucified on sixth day of the week.

The shame that came upon Adam and Eve caused them to cover themselves with leaves but that wasn't good enough for the Lord. Animals were sacrificed to make clothing and this was the beginning of shedding blood for sins which started on the sixth day of the week. This was the original Passover!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
With respect Exodus and Numbers have nothing to do with Jesus - thats at best a misrepresentation worst a manipulation. Might as well link Gen 31:22- And Laban was told on the third day that Jacob had fled. And so many other passages.
Lol yeah Moses and the prophets have nothing to do with it

“and he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. ( quoted from Deuteronomy 18)

Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭3:20-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

they were always talking about Jesus

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:39-40, 45-46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Maybe you’re struggling believing what’s there because you already think you know other things ?

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
This is what Jesus said: For as Jonas [Jonah] was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Mt 12:40)

Yes Christ died on Wednesday afternoon, but He was entombed on that evening (which would be the start of Thursday). That would resemble Jonah being "entombed" in the whale's belly. And each day must be reckoned from evening to evening. So we read: When the even [evening] was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple: He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered. And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth (Mt 26:57-59).

Wednesday evening to Saturday evening would be three nights and three days, which is the same as three days and three nights. Sunday (the first day of the week) actually began at sunset on Saturday evening. But Christ probably arose between 1:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. on early Sunday morning. Christ is called "the Morning Star" (Rev 22:16) and the morning star appears roughly two hours before sunrise. The women came to the tomb very early in the morning and He had already gone.

Yes that kind of what I meant - albeit its not that simple as its always been recoded as Friday, was the Sabbath on a Saturday or a special sabbath (something which was argued much later) did he eat the Passover meal or not etc... and there is no evidence of when Jesus rose, being placed in a tomb is not buried etc...

Also, the main point of the 1 Cor 15:4 - did the OT mention 'buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,' I have seen no evidence of this

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
Lol yeah Moses and the prophets have nothing to do with it

“and he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. ( quoted from Deuteronomy 18)

Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭3:20-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

they were always talking about Jesus

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:39-40, 45-46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Maybe you’re struggling believing what’s there because you already think you know other things ?
I said the passages you quoted have nothing to do with Jesus being raised after 3 days.

As to Deuteronomy 18 - how is Moses like Jesus. Albeit Jesus was called a prophet, even a slave, but was he not son / God. He was nothing like Moses 'your brethren' not amongst you. Jesus wasnt given a law, said did nto coem to change 'a jot' , no children, wife, no natural death etc...

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023

So if the problem is with your mind, then you should give your mind to God and have it worked on. He's powerful enough to do that.

But what is it that you want from the forum exactly? How do you want us to be with what you're sharing?

🥙

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
2 Timothy 2:8 - Paul says
Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

A weak argument, but arguable that Paul is saying this is his opinion - so therefore arguable it’s not required - even though it would go against the very very large majority opinion