Do you think stealing a virtual item is bad?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Sophia1993

Let's say you're playing an online game and you scam someone out of an expensive item they have because you want more points on your account (you sell the item for virtual points). the item is worth nothing in real life. it has no value. 0$. is it still bad? a sin?

M

MyPottersClay

Sorry Sophia, you made a boo boo. However the good part about being a Christian is: correction, direction, encouragement, and inspiration. The value is irrelevant. If the item would have belonged to Jesus, or His mother Mary would you have felt right taking it the way you did? Its ok. I'm sure He is smiling over you and knows your sorry. Have a Blessed Day.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
this probably not all that helpful, but here's some thoughts:

it's hard to make judgments about what goes on within a game, because, well, it's a game, and players do things to each other that they wouldn't in real life, and treat each other in ways they wouldn't otherwise, because, well, respawn, and in real life, points, XP and w/e are meaningless.

but if you feel guilty about doing something, it usually means you shouldn't have done it, and/or you might ought to apologize to someone.

i play mostly single player games so i haven't put a lot of thought into ethics in multiplayer gaming =p
but i think as Christians we ought to show more respect for other people than the world does. if scamming people out of items is a regular part of gameplay, then i wouldn't worry about. i mean, i lied, cheated and stole my way all the way through Skyrim, but i wouldn't lie to or cheat other people in a MP game. but in some games looting & stealing from others is a game mechanic. if your corpse drops medpacks and i need medpacks, yeah, ima drop you.

if it bothers your conscience to do something though, it's like sin for you, so avoid it to keep a clear conscience. as a Christian even in games, we should try not to offend people, as much as is reasonable.

Last edited:
M

MyPottersClay

Well put. I concur. Good point in relation to dynamics of gameplay. Good explanation also

A

Animus

Let's say you're playing an online game and you scam someone out of an expensive item they have because you want more points on your account (you sell the item for virtual points). the item is worth nothing in real life. it has no value. 0$. is it still bad? a sin?
I'd say that this is bad because it sounds like it involves lying or some sort of dishonesty (basically the premise of all scams). If you are playing a game where part of the game is stealing from other players (like a game where characters play as thieves or something and have to pickpocket each other), I think that's fine, or if you are playing a game like "Cheat" where you are supposed to lie about the cards you are playing as part of the game, that's fine, but if you are telling people things that aren't true, which is not part of the official game, in order to get ahead, well that's basically the same thing that people do in real life.

So again, if you are playing a war game I don't think you are guilty of murder, but if you are going around making promises to other people in the game (real people, not NPCs) and then breaking them that's a different thing.

S

Sophia1993

Sorry Sophia, you made a boo boo. However the good part about being a Christian is: correction, direction, encouragement, and inspiration. The value is irrelevant. If the item would have belonged to Jesus, or His mother Mary would you have felt right taking it the way you did? Its ok. I'm sure He is smiling over you and knows your sorry. Have a Blessed Day.
who said i did it? i've seen it happen on the site i play and i wanted to know what people think.

S

Sophia1993

thank you:)

M

MyPottersClay

I digress, my misunderstanding.

1still_waters

OT = Don't commit adultery
NT = Don't even lust

OT = Don't murder
NT = Watch your anger and contempt

I think for NT Christians it's about more than simply worrying about if you took some stuff. What's going on deeper in your heart?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Thou shalt not scammeth the newb that liveth in poverty and knoweth not the endgame.

Last edited:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
To me it is a sin............and just plain devious...........

Jesus made it clear that we did not have to actually commit murder, adultery, theft, to be guilty of them, IF that desire is in our hearts, we are JUST AS GUILTY as if we had actually done the act........

(my thoughts)

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Sometimes it feels wrong thst I lock picked into an NPCs treasure chest and stole their items on skyrim lol. But if it were a real person who is affected on the receiving end then yeah it is wrong.

J

JustAnotherUser

So let's put it this way... If someone were to steal something from you even if it had nothing of value, would you still at least feel bad on the fact that someone tricked you into something to have them steal it? How is it not the same online, with the exception that the person doesn't know anything about you behind your screen just as you don't know about them. The person(s) would still feel like they got ripped off by you. The only difference is that we have technology to not make it seem as confronting as to how it'd be played in real life. The same goes for just about anything.

So yes, it's still considered stealing.

S

SabbieWabbie

23 But if you have doubts about whether or not you should eat something, you are sinning if you go ahead and do it. For you are not following your convictions. If you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning. (Romans 14:23)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
So let's put it this way... If someone were to steal something from you even if it had nothing of value, would you still at least feel bad on the fact that someone tricked you into something to have them steal it? How is it not the same online, with the exception that the person doesn't know anything about you behind your screen just as you don't know about them. The person(s) would still feel like they got ripped off by you. The only difference is that we have technology to not make it seem as confronting as to how it'd be played in real life. The same goes for just about anything.

So yes, it's still considered stealing.
The getting of treasures by a lying tongue
is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death.
The robbery of the wicked shall destroy them;
because they refuse to do judgment.
(Proverbs 21:6-7)

scamming someone out of an item doesn't seem legit :)

JGuy

Apr 18, 2013

2 Timothy 2:5

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5 Also if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.

Last edited:

Atwood

May 1, 2014
Sophia, being quite a bit older than you, I haven't got a clue what on earth you are talking about. But I do know that the two big commandments govern and trump the rest:
1) Love God with all your strength,
2) Love neighbor as self.

I am convinced that if an ethical issue has nothing to do with 1 & 2, it is theological tiddlywinks. We must focus on 1 & 2. So once you figure out how your ethical problem fits with 1 & 2, I think you will have your answer.